Not losing weight and very frustrated.

Options

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I already gone thru menopause so TOM isn't a factor, but menopause is. One reason I'm so frustrated is I've never eaten this healthy before. I'm not giving up thou. I may call my doctor today and discuss the Seroquel. Look it up. It's know for weight gain. One thing someone mentioned was water weight. I think I've been using too much salt. I switched to sea salt and bought the one the diet suggested which was Aztec Sea Salt. I use a grinder, but it comes out pretty course.

Actually, any salt you add is just the tip of the iceberg. If you've been logging, you may have been noticing just how much sodium comes in many foods. I know it was an eye opener for me! Even going with low sodium versions of many products and doing virtually all of my eating at home, I still find it challenging to stay below the recommended daily allowance.
  • marymickaela
    marymickaela Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had my diary open to my friends, but just opened it up to the public.
  • me_ona_diet
    me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree with the menstrual cycle part, and the metrics suggestions, but the rest is broscience. [/quote]

What the heck is 'broscience'???

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I agree with the menstrual cycle part, and the metrics suggestions, but the rest is broscience.

What the heck is 'broscience'???

[/quote]

The kind of 'science' you'd expect to hear from the bodybuilders at the gym who don't actually bother to read anything on the subject beyond BB mags and blog articles. Science from the 'bros'. I.e. broscience.
  • me_ona_diet
    me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Huh. Interesting, considering I'm neither a bro, nor a bodybuilder ;)
    Guess my endocrinologist must be though - despite being female - since that's where my information comes from. Who knew?!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Some people refer to it as pseudoscience. Not really anything backing up the claims/no real peer-reviewed studies. Maybe someone can give a few examples of broscience claims.
  • deniztuzu2
    deniztuzu2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I too,eat more carefree on sundays,more sodium and such. But I weigh myself in the morning before "the damage" is done.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Some people refer to it as pseudoscience. Not really anything backing up the claims/no real peer-reviewed studies. Maybe someone can give a few examples of broscience claims.

"Don't eat a big meal before bedtime because your metabolism slows down at night."
    "Body confusion by changing exercise will help you lose weight faster."
    "My medication caused me to put on X number of pounds."
    "I can eat as many calories I want as long as I'm not eating carbs."

Basically any assertion that contradicts common sense and is unsupported by double-blind scientific studies.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Your diary is still closed, so my question is, are you tracking your sodium intake?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Your diary is still closed, so my question is, are you tracking your sodium intake?

I think it's safe to assume OP's sodium was higher on her cheat day, than her "on" days... but we may never know.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I think it's safe to assume OP's sodium was higher on her cheat day, than her "on" days... but we may never know.

My point was that unless she's tracking her sodium, it may be too high on *all* days. I know sodium and water retention is an issue for me, and if I'm not careful about it, it will trick me into thinking I'm actually gaining weight other than just water. ;)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Most of the time when people dont lose ( over a longer period of time so not a couple days or one week) it indicates they are eating to much.
    They think they eat a certain amount of calories but because they dont weigh their food ALL their solid on a food scale but also use generetic entrees, measure with cups & spoons and go by serving sizes, their count is way of and much higher than they think/know.

Maybe OP you can tell us if this is the case, do you weigh ALL your solid food on a food scale?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My point is that unless she's tracking her sodium, it may be too high on *all* days. I know sodium and water retention is an issue for me, and if I'm not careful about it, it will trick me into thinking I'm actually gaining weight other than water. ;)

If it's high on all days, it won't affect water retention, because water will already be retained.

And diary still not open...
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't weigh yourself after a cheat day... You can also undo a lot of work if you have that day each week so make sure to not go way overboard.

Just be patient. Three weeks is not enough time to judge progress :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Unless the drug you are on is several handfuls of sugar pills or something, as long as you are eating less than you are burning, you will lose weight. A drug may cause you to burn fewer calories or want to eat more, but it can't prevent you from losing weight.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I can tell you right now that you're not going to lose weight eating 2000 calories while taking Seroquel. You need to lower your calorie goal; probably to 1400 calories.
  • marymickaela
    Options
    I thought I'd opened it to the Public. Went back and re-checked and it's now open. I have a sleep disorder and take Seroquel to help me sleep. Here are some of the side effects which can cause weight gain. There were a lot more side effects listed, but I'm only listing a few.

Appetite surge: If you started taking Seroquel, one thing that you’ll likely notice is that your appetite increases – sometimes to an extreme.

◾Cravings: Many atypical antipsychotics are associated with cravings of foods. A majority of people notice that they start to crave carbohydrates and/or other unhealthy foods like sugars and sweets. .

◾Fat storage: It is believed that the mechanism by which the body processes food and stores fat becomes altered.

◾Slows metabolism: Even if you maintained the same diet and exercise patterns pre-drug that you did while taking Seroquel, you’d probably still gain some weight. This is due to the fact that the drug slows your metabolism. The degree to which it slows is subject to individual variation, but explains why most people end up gaining weight.

◾Hormonal changes: The drug is believed to alter the production of hormone levels throughout the body. Altering hormone levels can significantly impact the amount of weight that you pack on as a result of the drug. It notably interferes with production of thyroid-stimulating hormone and lowers the levels of (T4) thyroxine and (T3) triiodothyronine throughout the bloodstream. It is also capable of altering glucose levels and manipulating enzymes in the liver and heart.

• BWBTrish
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just leave this small video link here for when you are interested in what the difference in calories can be when you weigh your food on a food scale or use cups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Not losing weight is almost always when people their calorie intake is too high.
    medication only can slow the weight loss down or makes you have more apetite etc.

But the medication itself never makes you gain weight.
    the affects makes you eat that makes you gain weight.
  • marymickaela
    Options
    I use a digital food scale and weigh and measure everything.

MENOPAUSE AND WEIGHT GAIN:
    All too often the "change of life" results in unwelcome changes in the number on the bathroom scale. Many women find that no matter how sensible their diet or how frequently they exercise, they still start packing on the pounds once menopause begins.

This problem is primarily driven by estrogen loss that occurs during menopause. Estrogen loss causes a number of health issues, one of which is deterioration of muscle mass. Because muscle burns more calories than fat, less muscle also means fewer calories burned, all of which adds up to a recipe for a slower metabolism.

Speaking with CBS News chief medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook, Dr. Lori Warren, a gynecologist and a partner with Women First of Louisville, said weight gain is one of the top complaints among her patients.

"As a gynecologist one of the biggest things I'm asked is, 'What is going on with this weight gain as I'm aging and going through menopause,'" she said. "And it kind of creeps up on women and all of the sudden they're angry about it when they come in for an annual visit and they've gained 10 pounds and they say, 'Why didn't anyone tell me that I might gain weight?'"
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    your diary tells otherwise

cup entrees etc.