Not losing weight and very frustrated.

Options

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    i see you quoting a lot of excuses. stop using them and start weighing your food.

BAMM!!, right on.

• LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Please don't implement any form of intermittent fasting without double checking with your doctor! There are a few studies indicating it might have negative effects on women's hormones. See this article for a summary.

Apart from that I'd follow the advice to weigh all your food on your digital scale for greater accuracy.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    FatFreeFrolic wrote: You say you don't go into REM sleep… Neither do I. You also say you take anti-anxiety meds…Which one if you don't mind me asking. I ask because anxiety medications are the reason I don't go into REM. It is a side effect of some drugs.

I take Klonopin. I was down to 2mg until all this anxiety started acting up. Now I take 1mg during the day and 3mg at bedtime. It does seem to be helping.

Klonopin for anxiety? Interesting. I used to be on Klonopin for about a year during my divorce, but I took it for panic attacks and only as necessary because it acts very fast but is also highly addictive. I didn't notice any weight gain though. Maybe you can switch to a different anxiety medication?
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @marymickaela

I understand your concerns and support you in your journey. Contrary to what many posters say here, you will gain weight if you are on an atypical like Seroquel. Please don't adjust your medications based on what you hear on this forum. Also, please keep in mind that you will have a harder time losing weight as you are managing both your mood and weight issues at the same time.

You are eating a lot less than your target according to your diary. Perhaps that is precipitating the binge-eating on cheat days. As many others said above, weigh and log everything.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what many posters say here, you will gain weight if you are on an atypical like Seroquel.

There is a difference between "a lot of people gain weight on this drug" and "this drug causes weight gain".

The first part is true. The second part isn't.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    @marymickaela

I understand your concerns and support you in your journey. Contrary to what many posters say here, you will gain weight if you are on an atypical like Seroquel. Please don't adjust your medications based on what you hear on this forum. Also, please keep in mind that you will have a harder time losing weight as you are managing both your mood and weight issues at the same time.

You are eating a lot less than your target according to your diary. Perhaps that is precipitating the binge-eating on cheat days. As many others said above, weigh and log everything.

I'm on Seroquel as well as Paxil, which is also often blamed for weight gain, yet have lost 55lbs so far this year.

The drugs may cause increased appetite, but they don't have the magical ability to create calories out of nothing.

At the end of the day weight gain/loss boils down to CICO.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    @marymickaela

I'm on Seroquel as well as Paxil, which is also often blamed for weight gain, yet have lost 55lbs so far this year.

The drugs may cause increased appetite, but they don't have the magical ability to create calories out of nothing.

At the end of the day weight gain/loss boils down to CICO.

And thankkkk you!
    its so simple...really :)

Doesnt mean it makes OP's journey easier btw.

• yogeshvaraom
    yogeshvaraom Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The body as you know doesnt always do what the mind wants. It may be holding on because you are doing such a good job dieting. Stick with it an it will work out.
  • LilannB
    LilannB Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    criscat wrote: »
    While all these factors you mention can certainly affect weight loss, bottom line is you need to ingest fewer calories that you spend in order to loose weight. Instead of looking elsewhere, focus on your calorie intake. If you outsource the problem, you also outsource the solution and make it impossible to achieve your goal. To loose weight on a 2000kcal/day diet, you have to be very young or an athlete... I found this book to be very helpful, good luck: http://www.amazon.com/Foodaholic-Seven-Stages-Permanent-Weight-ebook/dp/B005FT9HIM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1432396917&sr=1-1&keywords=foodaholic

Everyone is different. I'm neither young or athletic and I lost weight on 2000 calories about 25 pounds. I lose weight slowly whether on 2000 calories or the 1500 calories I'm currently on.Possibly because I find exercise difficult due to arthritis.

• mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
  • marymickaela
    marymickaela Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    i see you quoting a lot of excuses. stop using them and start weighing your food.

I really want to smack those of you who seem so smug about it's all my fault cause I'm eating more then I'm expending. I"M NOT!!! I AM EATING AT A DEFICIT!!!!!

I'm not making lots of excuses, just trying to find a solution. I eat around 1200 calories a day, not 2,000, and there's been some days it's under that. A couple days I was under 1000 and MFP wouldn't let me end my diary for the day saying I wasn't eating enough calories.

Right now I am feeling deeply depressed as in the last 2 weeks I've gained 3lbs, my clothes don't fit and I feel like a whale. What I was trying to explain were possible reasons I haven't been able to lose. This last 3 weeks is the healthiest I've probably ever eaten. I've been religious about logging my food. Increased my water intake to 8 glasses a day. Eaten more fruits and salads with low cal dressings, more lean protein like fish and chicken. I'm really proud of how well I done in the food department.

I try and do as much exercise as I can, but with my fibromyalgia I run daily fevers running around 100 to 101 degrees (another excuse). If I overdo it I can barely move the next day.

I used to be smug too. I was always ultra thin, never had to count calories, but then I got thyroid cancer at age 26, while pregnant and if my levels get too low my metabolism slows down (oops, another excuse).

I plan to call my doctor tomorrow and insist he switch me off of Seroquel, but don't know if he will because you see I'm bipolar (another excuse).

So go ahead, make fun and beat me up with your criticism. I have therapy Thursday so maybe my therapist can help me stay ahead of this depression. I guess being depressed is just another excuse so sorry.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

I really want to smack those of you who seem so smug about it's all my fault cause I'm eating more then I'm expending. I"M NOT!!! I AM EATING AT A DEFICIT!!!!!

I'm not making lots of excuses, just trying to find a solution. I eat around 1200 calories a day, not 2,000, and there's been some days it's under that. A couple days I was under 1000 and MFP wouldn't let me end my diary for the day saying I wasn't eating enough calories.

Right now I am feeling deeply depressed as in the last 2 weeks I've gained 3lbs, my clothes don't fit and I feel like a whale. What I was trying to explain were possible reasons I haven't been able to lose. This last 3 weeks is the healthiest I've probably ever eaten. I've been religious about logging my food. Increased my water intake to 8 glasses a day. Eaten more fruits and salads with low cal dressings, more lean protein like fish and chicken. I'm really proud of how well I done in the food department.

I try and do as much exercise as I can, but with my fibromyalgia I run daily fevers running around 100 to 101 degrees (another excuse). If I overdo it I can barely move the next day.

I used to be smug too. I was always ultra thin, never had to count calories, but then I got thyroid cancer at age 26, while pregnant and if my levels get too low my metabolism slows down (oops, another excuse).

I plan to call my doctor tomorrow and insist he switch me off of Seroquel, but don't know if he will because you see I'm bipolar (another excuse).

So go ahead, make fun and beat me up with your criticism. I have therapy Thursday so maybe my therapist can help me stay ahead of this depression. I guess being depressed is just another excuse so sorry.

How are your thyroid levels now? Or have they not been checked recently?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    kitty_hugs-ae9f2b2782449ef0a2e66349a1c9e926.jpg
  • BWBTrish
    edited May 2015
    Options
    you are NOT weighing all your food on a food scale and that is your problem

1 medium apple 80 calories gala(entree out of your diary)....well what is medium to you dont have to be medium here on MFP or the person who brought this entree in and a gala apples is quickly over 100 calories

i see nuts and bean entree 160 calories for 1.5 cup
    So not weighed out

And not weighing some things is maybe ok. But regular over the day so a lot in the week makes you eat much more than the 1200 you think you eat.

You are not a special snow flock sorry
    It is the same for everybody eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight.
    And yes a medical issue can have its influence...but that can translate to slower weight loss ...not in "not able to lose weight".

Lots of people here have the same medical problems and lose weight. And so can you

Start weighing your food ...ALL your food on a food scale. And you will lose weight as long as your deficit is there.

And you can shout ( write in capital letters) you can post it as much as you want...but your body is the perfect calculator and judge how much you eat.
    You cant fool your body for one second.... it will record every calorie in and out for you. Even when you dont like it or want to know it.

I know i dont sound nice.

but it seems that you are not even willing to try it out for 2 weeks to weigh every single bite...while you have nothing to lose ( pun intended).

Everybody tries to help here
    A lot of people with the same issues as you, but you know it better than all of them. Than everybody. you are right all posters/advice and yes even your own body who tells you different is wrong.

Well ok you cant lose weight that's it!
    Your road, your life, your body. Said this before.
    Take it or leave it.

• galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options

1 medium apple 80 calories gala(entree out of your diary)....well what is medium to you dont have to be medium here on MFP or the person who brought this entree in and a gala apples is quickly over 100 calories

So not weighed out

And not weighing some things is maybe ok. But regular over the day so a lot in the week makes you eat much more than the 1200 you think you eat.

It is the same for everybody eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight.
    And yes a medical issue can have its influence...but that can translate to slower weight loss ...not in "not able to lose weight".

Lots of people here have the same as thyroid problems and lose weight. And so can you

Start weighing your food ...ALL your food on a food scale. And you will lose weight as long as your deficit is there.

And you can shout ( write in capital letters) you can post it as much as you want...but your body is the perfect calculator and judge how much you eat.
    You cant fool your body for one second.... it will record every calorie in and out for you. Even when you dont like it or want to know it.

but it seems that you are not even willing to try it out for 2 weeks to weigh every single bite...while you have nothing to lose ( pun intended).

A lot of people with the same issues as you, but you know it better than all of them. Than everybody. you are right all posters/advice and yes even your own body who tells you different is wrong.

Take it or leave it.

The average gala apple that I eat is about 120 calories. And I eat and weigh a lot of apples. 80 is like a really small apple you wouldn't even bother buying.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Eating at a deficit means that you are losing weight. Different BMR calculators will give slightly different estimates, and they can be a little off, but it's somewhere to start. When it comes to weight loss, how much you eat is more important than what you eat. Are you weighing everything you eat/drink/add to your food/drink? Be patient and diligent. Accept that weight fluctuates naturally independantly from actual fat loss/gain.
  • BWBTrish
    edited May 2015
    Options

So not weighed out

Lots of people here have the same as thyroid problems and lose weight. And so can you

Take it or leave it.

The average gala apple that I eat is about 120 calories. And I eat and weigh a lot of apples.

the point is she doesnt weigh all her food.
    so a 40 calories here a 40 calories there..not calculated for.
    She has some medical issues which make it harder for her to lose weight...on top of that she eats more than she logs.

So she needs to be much more accurate than somebody with 200 pounds to lose and or having no medical issues at all.

That's the point.
    I took the apple as example out of her diary and the nuts and beans to show she doesn't weigh all her food.
    Funny is also the calorie more dense food she doesn't weigh Her lettuce she does.

Really i would do this the other way around i would like to know how much nuts and beans i eat and the lettuce ..mehhhh
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

If over an extended period of time you're not losing weight, then you're not eating a deficit - end of story.

You've been given the right answer, by more than one person. Now it's up to you what you do with it....
  • galgenstrick
    Options

So not weighed out

Take it or leave it.

The average gala apple that I eat is about 120 calories. And I eat and weigh a lot of apples.

the point is she doesnt weigh all her food.
    so a 40 calories here a 40 calories there..not calculated for.
    She has some medical issues which make it harder for her to lose weight...on top of that she eats more than she logs.

So she needs to be much more accurate than somebody with 200 pounds to lose and or having no medical issues at all.

That's the point.
    I took the apple as example out of her diary and the nuts and beans to show she doesn't weigh all her food.
    Funny is also the calorie more dense food she doesn't weigh Her lettuce she does.

Really i would do this the other way around i would like to know how much nuts and beans i eat and the lettuce ..mehhhh

Yup, I totally agree with you, that's why I posted that. 80 calories for an apple is just unlikely. They need to be weighed. 40 calories is significant, and if all the other foods she ate were twice the amount of calories that she logged, then she's eating 2400 calories every day.