Extra Calories At The End Of The Day -- What To Do?

Options
So here's my situation -- I have my calories set at 1800 per day. A lot of the time I end up only eating 1200-1400 and 8pm or so rolls around and I have 400-600 left.

Late night snacking is a problem I've always struggled with so I'm very hesitant to eat 600 calories in one sitting 2 hours after I've eaten dinner.

Is it ok to have that large of a deficit several days per week? The impatient person in me wants to do that every single day and drop a lot of weight quickly but the logical person in me wants me to do whatever is going to equal out to a permanent lifestyle change and not a "diet"

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Make your meals bigger.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Make your meals bigger.

The thing is...most of the time I feel like my meals are already too big. I generally eat a good sized dinner but its also usually healthy (less than 400 calories) and lunch is just leftovers so its the same.

I don't eat breakfast. I guess I could start.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Listen to Logical Luke, not Impatient Luke :)

I don't see a problem with it once in a while but I wouldn't do it regularly. The minimum that a man should be eating is 1500 calories per day. If you eat 1800 for five days and 1200 for two days that averages 1628. That's not too far above 1500, which is just enough to ensure that you have enough calories to meet your base nutritional needs. It is far better to fuel your body properly to ensure that you are maximizing your fat loss while minimizing the loss of lean mass (i.e., muscle.) Yes, it does mean slower loss but you'll end up looking and feeling better doing it that way.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    There is no reason why you cannot eat 600 calories 2 hours after dinner and still lose weight. Are you making up for your daily deficit on the weekend? You should not go below 1500 calories per day, but you can look at your calories as a weekly vs. a daily thing.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Listen to Logical Luke, not Impatient Luke :)

I don't see a problem with it once in a while but I wouldn't do it regularly. The minimum that a man should be eating is 1500 calories per day. If you eat 1800 for five days and 1200 for two days that averages 1628. That's not too far above 1500, which is just enough to ensure that you have enough calories to meet your base nutritional needs. It is far better to fuel your body properly to ensure that you are maximizing your fat loss while minimizing the loss of lean mass (i.e., muscle.) Yes, it does mean slower loss but you'll end up looking and feeling better doing it that way.

That's a good way to look at it. Thank you!
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of breakfast, for sure.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Pay more attention to your weekly average than daily. Add up your calories for the week, divide by 7, and you have your average daily intake. If it's a reasonable amount, don't worry about it. If it's low, try to add some calorie dense foods into your diet like peanut butter or cheese.
  • bryerangel
    bryerangel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. 500-800 calories left after dinner. I am eating heathy, feel full, plenty of energy. If I snack on fruit, which i love, it puts me way over my sugar limit. I dont get it either.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You might be surprised in how you feel when you workout if you increased your calories closer to your goal. You can always add some cheese or snack crackers in each meal. 100-200 calories worth for both lunch and dinner and you would make up most of those missing calories and probably add a little extra fat that your body needs.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'll second the weekly not daily. I like to save up my calories for the weekend when I tend to be outside my week routine with the kids and man home. Then if I splurge with them on the weekend and go over for the day, my weekly still comes out good.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    You might be surprised in how you feel when you workout if you increased your calories closer to your goal. You can always add some cheese or snack crackers in each meal. 100-200 calories worth for both lunch and dinner and you would make up most of those missing calories and probably add a little extra fat that your body needs.

That's actually the other thing that worries me...I haven't really started working out yet but when I do I'll end up with an even bigger deficit than I usually have now...
  • Daveysgirl2014
    Daveysgirl2014 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting, at the very, very least 1000 per day you should be fine.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    As long as you're getting, at the very, very least 1000 per day you should be fine.

That does not sound like enough to be healthy....
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

That does not sound like enough to be healthy....

It's not.
  • Rebecca28186
    Rebecca28186 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eat if your hungry...if not then don't eat
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    When you're working out, you'll probably feel the need to eat more. Especially protein. Listen to your body.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Erm...no.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    That

That is not enough for a female much less a male.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Did you cut out all calorie dense foods? Cook with a little oil, butter and mayo. Eat some peanut butter.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    eat bigger meals