Extra Calories At The End Of The Day -- What To Do?

Replies

• JamesSmedley
    JamesSmedley Posts: 37 Member
    Make your meals bigger.

The thing is...most of the time I feel like my meals are already too big. I generally eat a good sized dinner but its also usually healthy (less than 400 calories) and lunch is just leftovers so its the same.

I don't eat breakfast. I guess I could start.

Seems like you've taught yourself just to snack. Cook proper meals, i'd say 4 meals of 400 cal. You may not like it to begin with but you will once you get use to it.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Make your meals bigger.

The thing is...most of the time I feel like my meals are already too big. I generally eat a good sized dinner but its also usually healthy (less than 400 calories) and lunch is just leftovers so its the same.

I don't eat breakfast. I guess I could start.

Seems like you've taught yourself just to snack. Cook proper meals, i'd say 4 meals of 400 cal. You may not like it to begin with but you will once you get use to it.

I don't have time to eat 4 meals in a day...Breakfast is difficult but possible. I get a lunch break during the day and I obviously can eat dinner but I don't get home until 6-7 anyway so unless I want to eat the 4th meal at midnight I don't see that working.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited May 2015
    OP: What do you want? People have given you suggestions and you just keep giving excuses about why their suggestions won't work.

Eat your calories or don't. I don't care. You might not be hungry now, but eventually eating so little will catch up with you and you will feel hungrier. So eat more then. Or eat more calorie dense foods. Just stop making excuses or don't post the question.

Also, eat breakfast.
  • abetterluke
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    OP: What do you want? People have given you suggestions and you just keep giving excuses about why their suggestions won't work.

Eat your calories or don't. I don't care. You might not be hungry now, but eventually eating so little will catch up with you and you will feel hungrier. So eat more then. Or eat more calorie dense foods. Just stop making excuses or don't post the question.

If you don't care that's fine -- stay out of the thread. I haven't given excuses to everything. I've already stated that I could start eating breakfast. Yes late night snacking has been a problem for me in the past so no I'm not real keen on jumping back on that bandwagon. If you have a problem with me not jumping on every suggestion made that's fine. The majority of my posts in my own thread haven't even been about the suggestions they've been about people turning it into a thread about using a damn scale.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member

If you don't care that's fine -- stay out of the thread. I haven't given excuses to everything. I've already stated that I could start eating breakfast. Yes late night snacking has been a problem for me in the past so no I'm not real keen on jumping back on that bandwagon. If you have a problem with me not jumping on every suggestion made that's fine. The majority of my posts in my own thread haven't even been about the suggestions they've been about people turning it into a thread about using a damn scale.

Actually, using a scale is a fantastic suggestion. Without it, you are most likely actually eating more than you think and therefore you don't have as many calories left at the end of the day.

And you have been making excuses. I think you just want a gold star for having left over calories.
  • abetterluke
    You're right. ALL THE SUGGESTIONS WIN! DESSERT HERE I COME!

Happy now? Apparently weight loss is a one size fits all solution.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member

Also, eat breakfast.

This is actually what I was thinking, but I wasn't bothering to say it.
    I just see nothing but excuses.
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member

I'm not really certain how this turned into a conversation about weighing. I don't expect that it will make much of a difference seeing as I have not had a problem losing weight thus far. It's not like I'm asking "why am I not losing weight despite eating xxx calories"

I am asking what to do with extra calories. I usually estimate what I ate and then log a little more than the estimate to build in a buffer. Is this the most accurate way? No. Will I start weighing as I get closer to my goals? Probably.

It still has nothing to do with my original question.

I don't weigh either. I agree that you don't seem to be having a problem with any of that. As for extra calories at the end of the day...I think that you just decide if you want to eat more or not. If you are not hungry, then don't eat, but if you are then have a snack within your calorie range. I agree with whoever said that you may be under for a few days then be hungrier on other days as well. Just use MFP as a guide to keep you in range and listen to how your body reacts especially after you start exercising.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited May 2015
    You're right. ALL THE SUGGESTIONS WIN! DESSERT HERE I COME!

Happy now? Apparently weight loss is a one size fits all solution.

I understand your frustration. Here's my advice: Like I already said, I don't think it is a good idea to eat, especially late at night, just because a website tells you to. Especially if you had problems with that in the past. I had a real problem with nighttime snacking, which turned into binging if there was anything sweet in the house. Now that I stopped, I will never risk going back.

So don't eat unless you are hungry. See what happens over the course of 4 or 5 weeks. If you are consistently under the target calories but not losing weight, then you can probably safely assume that either you are underestimating how much you eat, or mfp overestimated your daily energy expenditure. That is an estimate based on averages, and I am certain it is not exactly accurate for most people...it certainly isn't for me. Either is possible.

At that point, regardless of whether the measurement error is yours or the website's, the recommended solution is the same: eat a little less. You don't need a scale unless you want one. I have never owned a scale and lost 100 pounds. For the majority of that, I didn't even count calories, so there are many ways to do this. It is NOT one solution for everyone.

If you need to eat less, you can figure that out without a scale, and most likely without logging if that is your preference. Just eat a little less of everything, or at least the high calorie items. Or...if you want to try it the mfp way...buy the scale and weigh your crackers. Either way will work.

If, on the other hand, you are losing at the predicted rate, then everything is fine. If you are losing at a rate you feel is too fast, the solution is to eat a little more.

The point is, if you eat below some target...which is based on a bunch of averages and assumptions anyway...for a few days or even more, it's not a big deal.

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    This one entry also seems to dispute your assertion that what you eat is mostly meat and veggies. It looks like mostly carbs to me.

Well for one that day was Mother's Day and my mom wanted Chinese food. So yeah I'm not going to apologize for that.

Lol...You have a stalker . This is why I don't like having my diary open.
  • Kst76
    OP...just save you calories. Don't worry about eating them back. Save them for a night you feel like to drink a bottle of wine...or two ....and eat some cheese and crackers. That will do it :)
  • Kst76
    I'm not really certain how this turned into a conversation about weighing. I don't expect that it will make much of a difference seeing as I have not had a problem losing weight thus far. It's not like I'm asking "why am I not losing weight despite eating xxx calories"

I am asking what to do with extra calories. I usually estimate what I ate and then log a little more than the estimate to build in a buffer. Is this the most accurate way? No. Will I start weighing as I get closer to my goals? Probably.

Because you're probably not really that far under your calories, if you're even under at all.

IS he losing as he should? If he is I guess his calorie intake must be accurate? No?
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I've been losing consistently for the past several months and I almost always eat a big evening snack (between 300-500 calories). Honestly, I have 4 young kids and I love sitting down by myself and eating a big snack and it's the only time of day I can do it! Hasn't affected my weight loss so far!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    abetterluke, thank you very much for starting this thread! It's been very interesting and educational as I was wondering similar things.

I'm sorry you feel attacked. Please know you have my sympathy, and my best wishes for your future weight loss.
  • abetterluke
    Thank you all for your responses
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Yes late night snacking has been a problem for me in the past so no I'm not real keen on jumping back on that bandwagon.

Hi Luke,

I've already said that I regularly have leftover calories due to logging exercise and don't worry about it.

However, I wanted to address the snacking at night issue. If I don't have a snack, I end up waking up hungry at 3 AM and then can't get back to sleep until I eat. Previously, my snacks were too high calorie or not very healthy. Now, I'm eating oatmeal with fruit.

I made this yesterday Slow Cooker Apple Pie Steel-Cut Oatmeal. It makes five servings - I was getting tired of making it every night. I don't like the texture of oatmeal unless I cook the hell out of it, so this was perfect. I cooked it on the stovetop rather than dragging out the crockpot.

For me, it's a little desserty because it's higher in carbs than what I normally eat these days, but certainly not binge-worthy.

Good luck!

KK
  • abetterluke
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yes late night snacking has been a problem for me in the past so no I'm not real keen on jumping back on that bandwagon.

Hi Luke,

I've already said that I regularly have leftover calories due to logging exercise and don't worry about it.

However, I wanted to address the snacking at night issue. If I don't have a snack, I end up waking up hungry at 3 AM and then can't get back to sleep until I eat. Previously, my snacks were too high calorie or not very healthy. Now, I'm eating oatmeal with fruit.

I made this yesterday Slow Cooker Apple Pie Steel-Cut Oatmeal. It makes five servings - I was getting tired of making it every night. I don't like the texture of oatmeal unless I cook the hell out of it, so this was perfect. I cooked it on the stovetop rather than dragging out the crockpot.

For me, it's a little desserty because it's higher in carbs than what I normally eat these days, but certainly not binge-worthy.

Good luck!

KK

I love the oatmeal idea. I might give that a shot. Thank you!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member

Because you're probably not really that far under your calories, if you're even under at all.

IS he losing as he should? If he is I guess his calorie intake must be accurate? No?

Come on now. I questioned whether he is indeed 400-600 calories under every day. Have you ever tried to run 400-600 calories under your deficit for more than a couple of days? You begin to feel it.
  • Kst76
    Yea I have and depending what I eat I feel either great or hungry.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited May 2015
    Wrong post. Crap.