Extra Calories At The End Of The Day -- What To Do?

Options

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wrong post. Crap.
  • frootbabe
    frootbabe Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you simply want to boost your calories buy snacks like pre-portioned nuts, granola bars, natural juices/smoothies and just add a couple snacks throughout the day?
    cashes/peanuts/almond packs at around 300 calories each
    mini packaged smoothies at 160 calories each
    clif bars at 250 calories each

Buying foods that you enjoy but that aren't binge-trigger foods for you could be a good idea.

Another alternative is to keep track of weekly calorie averages and eat accordingly. For example you've eaten around 1300 the past few days so you consciously choose a high calorie option.

Also sometimes I like to save my calories and 'splurge' on a pint of ice cream lol. Good luck!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I'm not really certain how this turned into a conversation about weighing. I don't expect that it will make much of a difference seeing as I have not had a problem losing weight thus far. It's not like I'm asking "why am I not losing weight despite eating xxx calories"

I am asking what to do with extra calories. I usually estimate what I ate and then log a little more than the estimate to build in a buffer. Is this the most accurate way? No. Will I start weighing as I get closer to my goals? Probably.

It still has nothing to do with my original question.

Because you're probably not really that far under your calories, if you're even under at all.

IS he losing as he should? If he is I guess his calorie intake must be accurate? No?

Come on now. I questioned whether he is indeed 400-600 calories under every day. Have you ever tried to run 400-600 calories under your deficit for more than a couple of days? You begin to feel it.

Nope, I know I would never try that. I would be hangry! It happens occasionally, but only if I get a lot of exercise.
    I am usually about 200 calories under daily, because I don't eat back all my exercise calories. But I think the exercise calories are pretty accurate for me, as I am losing a bit faster than I was aiming for.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP, looking at your diary I'm not sure how you can say you know how to eat healthy and how to not eat unhealthy food when your days are lacking in proper nutriton. How exact does someone eat .5 chicken breast? .5 of a 6 oz breath or is it .5 of a 12 breast? Or how you eat .25 breast? you're just guessing. How do you eat .13 cups of sunflower seeds. Or .2 oz of a pickle? How about .5 oz of Chinese food pork?

The only days you made it into somewhat of a decent range were the days you ate Mcdonald's or pizza.

You're like eating more than you think.

Actually a lot of those are measurements. If I input on my phone I can put 1/8 cup of sunflower seeds. On the website it converts it to a decimal. And we've already determined I estimate.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Have you tried prelogging your day? That has helped me make sure I didn't end up with 900 calories, or 15 left for dinner. It is really easy to edit or delete if things change but it's nice to have an idea and a plan.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP, looking at your diary I'm not sure how you can say you know how to eat healthy and how to not eat unhealthy food when your days are lacking in proper nutriton. How exact does someone eat .5 chicken breast? .5 of a 6 oz breath or is it .5 of a 12 breast? Or how you eat .25 breast? you're just guessing. How do you eat .13 cups of sunflower seeds. Or .2 oz of a pickle? How about .5 oz of Chinese food pork?

The only days you made it into somewhat of a decent range were the days you ate Mcdonald's or pizza.

You're like eating more than you think.

Actually a lot of those are measurements. If I input on my phone I can put 1/8 cup of sunflower seeds. On the website it converts it to a decimal. And we've already determined I estimate.

I don't think this person meant that there is an issue of decimals vs. fractions. If you log 1/2 of a chicken breast - how big was the chicken breast? If it's a 6oz breast, you're eating 3 oz of chicken. If the breast is 3 oz, you're eating 1.5 oz. Get it? Half of a chicken breast says nothing if you don't know the weight of the entire thing. Hence a scale might be useful.

Also, no one was telling you that you're having trouble losing weight and therefore need a scale. I think the issue that most people were pointing out is that you are probably eating more than you think. Obviously you are still eating at a deficit though since you are losing.

OP, I'm still not sure what your original question was...
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    You also have a number of days where all you've logged is coffee, sugar and milk. If you eat food then you'll have an easier time hitting your calorie goal, assuming that's your aim.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Extra calories? What are those?

Is this one of those imaginary things, like leftover wine?

^^THIS.

Yup! I spend all of my extra cals on wine... :)

Eat more calorie-dense foods during the day, or in the evening. Nuts, avocados, olives, seeds. Those will fill you up, but won't likely to cause you to binge. (Well, nuts do for some people...) Or, make a calorie-dense smoothie.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    OP: What do you want? People have given you suggestions and you just keep giving excuses about why their suggestions won't work.

Eat your calories or don't. I don't care. You might not be hungry now, but eventually eating so little will catch up with you and you will feel hungrier. So eat more then. Or eat more calorie dense foods. Just stop making excuses or don't post the question.

Also, eat breakfast.

Ill go with this +1 Op you do seem to be making it more difficult than it needs to be, eat it dont eat it, just make sure you get sufficient nutrition. Theres lots of weknesses in your stragey as explained so far which may come back to bit you, but they may not. It sounds like your basic logging is not what you think.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i don't care to read through all the pages, so you might have already gotten this advice....if you want to spread those calories out during the day rather than have them all at night, and already feel like your meals are "big" enough, just add more calorie dense options to those meals. Add nuts to a salad or cook with oil. 1 tablespoon of pretty much any kind of oil comes out at about 120 calories. throw down a few tbsp for a good ol' fashioned stir fry and you're over a 3rd of the way there.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    Have you tried prelogging your day? That has helped me make sure I didn't end up with 900 calories, or 15 left for dinner. It is really easy to edit or delete if things change but it's nice to have an idea and a plan.

Good suggestion!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    One more vote for weekly rather than daily calorie targets.

My daily totals are all over the map, but as long as my weekly total is in range, I'm happy to eat according to my appetite, not a rigid daily number. Some days I'm not hungry; other days I'm famished. It tends to even out on its own.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    One more vote for weekly rather than daily calorie targets.

My daily totals are all over the map, but as long as my weekly total is in range, I'm happy to eat according to my appetite, not a rigid daily number. Some days I'm not hungry; other days I'm famished. It tends to even out on its own.

This makes me feel better. I do look at my weekly intake and it's usually close to where it should be.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Jgasmic wrote: »

Good suggestion!

I agree. I used to do this when I lost before and i never realized it probably helped a lot. I will go back to this. Thank you!
  • abetterluke
    Options
    I want to say thank you to everyone who has given me suggestions other than "weigh your food". While they won't all work ultimately I think I got the answers I needed.

For those of you who have been harping on me to weigh my food. For the last time it has nothing to do with my original question. I am losing without a problem. I have lost 30+ pounds twice before without ever weighing anything. Scales are the most accurate way yes but they aren't absolutely necessary. I do have one and will use it when I feel it's needed (IE: when I have less weight to lose and can't afford inaccuracy).

For those in this thread who have just been unpleasant and/or antagonistic -- this forum is and always has been for people to get help with getting healthy. Having a sh***y attitude and making rude comments is nothing but discouraging. I have a fairly thick skin but I see this crap happen all over this board and it pisses me off. For the person who said I only logged coffee and should try eating food -- do you really think I only drank coffee that day or maybe do you think I just forgot to log the rest? To the person who was pinpointing bad days in my diary...I ate Chinese food at a restaurant (where I couldn't weigh food if I wanted) on Mother's Day. So sue me. To those who have said I'm making excuses -- I've thanked several people for suggestions that I think help. Just because a couple of suggestions don't work for me (from past experience) does not mean I am making excuses. Different things work for different people.

Now how about some positivity and encouragement rather than judgement and negativity.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I want to say thank you to everyone who has given me suggestions other than "weigh your food". While they won't all work ultimately I think I got the answers I needed.

For those of you who have been harping on me to weigh my food. For the last time it has nothing to do with my original question. I am losing without a problem. I have lost 30+ pounds twice before without ever weighing anything. Scales are the most accurate way yes but they aren't absolutely necessary. I do have one and will use it when I feel it's needed (IE: when I have less weight to lose and can't afford inaccuracy).

For those in this thread who have just been unpleasant and/or antagonistic -- this forum is and always has been for people to get help with getting healthy. Having a sh***y attitude and making rude comments is nothing but discouraging. I have a fairly thick skin but I see this crap happen all over this board and it pisses me off. For the person who said I only logged coffee and should try eating food -- do you really think I only drank coffee that day or maybe do you think I just forgot to log the rest? To the person who was pinpointing bad days in my diary...I ate Chinese food at a restaurant (where I couldn't weigh food if I wanted) on Mother's Day. So sue me. To those who have said I'm making excuses -- I've thanked several people for suggestions that I think help. Just because a couple of suggestions don't work for me (from past experience) does not mean I am making excuses. Different things work for different people.

Now how about some positivity and encouragement rather than judgement and negativity.

Backhanded thank you..

Mean people of MFP tirade..

Name calling..

Getting angry over solid advice you don't care to hear..

rDbbngf.gif

I bet people will be falling all over themselves to help you out again.