Extra Calories At The End Of The Day -- What To Do?

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    If you want a more accurate representation of my meals I'd look back a week or more on my diary...
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    I don't think eating when you're not hungry just because some online app told you to is a good practice for a long term lifestyle. There is no reason to eat if you aren't hungry.

Chances are a day or two later you will be hungrier than usual and you can "overeat" and not worry about it. Or if you are going out to eat, or seeing friends and want to have a few drinks, you can and not have to worry about the calories.

If your body needs more calories, it will let you know.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    edited May 2015
    If you want a more accurate representation of my meals I'd look back a week or more on my diary...

This is from May 10. I don't see any weights for food. How can you accurately assess how many calories you are ingesting?

6rgm7ojwesmw.jpg
  • DevilsFan1
    This one entry also seems to dispute your assertion that what you eat is mostly meat and veggies. It looks like mostly carbs to me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    99% of the time I always have calories for ice cream.

If I know I'm likely to go over another day though (or did a couple days before), I'll save at least some of them.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    I looked at your diary. It looks like you aren't weighing your food. I see things like 1.5 cups of cereal which makes me question whether you are accurately tracking your calories. I suspect not. I think you're eating much more than you think you are.

I don't weigh my food...the cereal was my best guess. I didn't even measure. The last few days I haven't been very healthy and have been logging things without worrying about accuracy too much. It was easier to put that though than "a sh**load of cereal"

I get that if you've been ill you don't want to be accurate . . .but you should start weighing. You're probably close to your target.

Weigh your food, especially cereal. How much does the package say 1.5 cups of cereal should be, 85 grams maybe? But if you scooped it out with a measuring cups, you could easily have an additional 20% in there.

And I recommend using the recipe builder vs. others' entries (unless you were in a restaurant and that was your best guess or something).

There are only three reasons why you shouldn't eat at night: if it affects your sleep, if it acts as a binge trigger, or if you have heartburn or family members with esophageal cancer. Metabolic slowdown is an industry myth.
  • abetterluke
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    This one entry also seems to dispute your assertion that what you eat is mostly meat and veggies. It looks like mostly carbs to me.

Well for one that day was Mother's Day and my mom wanted Chinese food. So yeah I'm not going to apologize for that.
  • abetterluke
    I'm not really certain how this turned into a conversation about weighing. I don't expect that it will make much of a difference seeing as I have not had a problem losing weight thus far. It's not like I'm asking "why am I not losing weight despite eating xxx calories"

I am asking what to do with extra calories. I usually estimate what I ate and then log a little more than the estimate to build in a buffer. Is this the most accurate way? No. Will I start weighing as I get closer to my goals? Probably.

It still has nothing to do with my original question.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Oh, sorry. I obviously have a lot to learn.

Then perhaps not giving advice until you know a bit lot more might be a better option for you.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I'm not really certain how this turned into a conversation about weighing. I don't expect that it will make much of a difference seeing as I have not had a problem losing weight thus far. It's not like I'm asking "why am I not losing weight despite eating xxx calories"

I am asking what to do with extra calories. I usually estimate what I ate and then log a little more than the estimate to build in a buffer. Is this the most accurate way? No. Will I start weighing as I get closer to my goals? Probably.

It always turns into a discussion about measuring your food. Doesn't matter what you asked, an open diary is open for judgement on the forums.

OT: what about having a dessert, like a couple cookies or a pastry, with a meal?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    don't cut out all the fat...dietary fat is a very essential macro-nutrient. it seems to me that people who have issues meeting very paltry calorie targets have cut far too much dietary fat from their diet thinking that's the "healthy" thing to do...it's not.
  • abetterluke
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    don't cut out all the fat...dietary fat is a very essential macro-nutrient. it seems to me that people who have issues meeting very paltry calorie targets have cut far too much dietary fat from their diet thinking that's the "healthy" thing to do...it's not.

Eh cutting fat isn't really an issue. I understand what is healthy and what isn't pretty well. I don't worry about fats. I worry more about added sugars but even that I don't focus on too much
  • abetterluke
    zyxst wrote: »

It always turns into a discussion about measuring your food. Doesn't matter what you asked, an open diary is open for judgement on the forums.

OT: what about having a dessert, like a couple cookies or a pastry, with a meal?

It's just frustrating. My diary is open for the purpose of people being able to offer helpful suggestions...when I ask them to. This topic doesn't involve my diary whatsoever.

As for dessert...that's something I really struggle with. Ill be the first to admit a major lack of self control and a serious problem with binging at times. If it's in the house I'm going to eat it...all...at once. I love dessert bit I've really tried to relegate it to just when I'm out.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member

If you are not weighing accurately you may be underestimating your calories and hence you don't have as many extra calories as you think you do.
  • DevilsFan1
    All I said was that you're probably eating more than you think because your estimates seemed low. That's how we got into your entries.

I apologize if it seems like I was attacking you. That was not my intention.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

It's just frustrating. My diary is open for the purpose of people being able to offer helpful suggestions...when I ask them to. This topic doesn't involve my diary whatsoever.

As for dessert...that's something I really struggle with. Ill be the first to admit a major lack of self control and a serious problem with binging at times. If it's in the house I'm going to eat it...all...at once. I love dessert bit I've really tried to relegate it to just when I'm out.

Buy ice creams on sticks so they are pre portioned out

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Extra calories? What are those?

Is this one of those imaginary things, like leftover wine?

^^THIS.

OP...eat more?

I never understand these threads...
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member

Because you're probably not really that far under your calories, if you're even under at all.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That can work, not sure how OP would be. Even with the ice cream being in the freezer, some people will still mindless eat them and not realize. I wasn't sure how desserts would go over for OP.
  • abetterluke
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It's not the portioning...it's the fact that they are there. I'll end up eating 3. It's literally the biggest issue affecting my weight. In fact I'd say my goal has been less about the calories and more about just learning to exercise self control.