Is This dress too fancy for a weekend birthday pool party?

Options

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Depends, I think you know best what the attendees will be wearing, if you feel that you might be self conscious, then maybe something a little more casual :)

This sounds like good advice to me. Either way, that is definitely a cute dress!

I'm not really sure what everyone will wear, in previous years I've seen a very eclectic mix! Hostess will be dressed to the nines in couture which she will inevitably ruin by the end of the night!

:laugh:

she is having a live band (U2 cover artists I think?) high class BBQ (chicken brochettes and sausages, instead of burgers. Quinoa instead of coleslaw)

does that help any?

Then yes, I vote wear it! And it sounds so fun! Enjoy!

thank you!

I change my vote, you gotta give us all the info. Yes, wear it and rock it.

*lol*
    sorry!

the party sort of changes every year, and some people even bring several changes of clothing! I could do that I guess, but it seems kind of complicated!

...More complicated than starting a whole thread about it and asking for strangers' advice? :huh: Lol! J/k

lol
    no, I needed some shameless flattery from anonymous strangers!
    :wink:

It's a nice dress, and if the party is as upscale as you're making it sound, it will probably be just fine. But since you asked for advice, I personally would go with a different color. Black is a very fall/winter color, even more so when paired with metallic accents. Something lighter toned would fit the season better.

But that's just me, I'm a really big fashion *kitten* and I like things to be perfect. :) I'm sure no one will point their fingers and say "OMG your dress color is so out of season!"
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    it looks great. are you willing to be thrown in the pool in it???
  • Sectility
    Sectility Posts: 37
    Options
    It's extremely cute and the best thing is-- it's half price!

It depends on who's pool party it is. If it's like a kids or teens birthday pool party, just wear a strapless beach dress.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    it looks great. are you willing to be thrown in the pool in it???

it cost about $35 including shipping from the UK.
    I'm surely not going to dry clean it, so if I get thrown into the pool, meh, it saves me a wash~!
    I doubt anyone would throw me anyway, I'm not a 98lb girl and generally don't get picked up (literally) or thrown often!

I also rarely get the chance to re-wear my dresses anyway what with the slight changes in my body (which become big changes when it comes to dressing it!)
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    she is having a live band (U2 cover artists I think?) high class BBQ (chicken brochettes and sausages, instead of burgers. Quinoa instead of coleslaw)
    At first I was going to say absolutely but at night, with a band, dancing and likely not going in the pool? then I say go for it!

Why would you have quinoa instead of coleslaw?
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Depends, I think you know best what the attendees will be wearing, if you feel that you might be self conscious, then maybe something a little more casual :)

This sounds like good advice to me. Either way, that is definitely a cute dress!

I'm not really sure what everyone will wear, in previous years I've seen a very eclectic mix! Hostess will be dressed to the nines in couture which she will inevitably ruin by the end of the night!

does that help any?

Then yes, I vote wear it! And it sounds so fun! Enjoy!

thank you!

I change my vote, you gotta give us all the info. Yes, wear it and rock it.

*lol*
    sorry!

the party sort of changes every year, and some people even bring several changes of clothing! I could do that I guess, but it seems kind of complicated!

...More complicated than starting a whole thread about it and asking for strangers' advice? :huh: Lol! J/k

lol
    no, I needed some shameless flattery from anonymous strangers!
    :wink:

It's a nice dress, and if the party is as upscale as you're making it sound, it will probably be just fine. But since you asked for advice, I personally would go with a different color. Black is a very fall/winter color, even more so when paired with metallic accents. Something lighter toned would fit the season better.

But that's just me, I'm a really big fashion *kitten* and I like things to be perfect. :) I'm sure no one will point their fingers and say "OMG your dress color is so out of season!"

see? I NEVER would have thought of that, but I suppose you are right!
    I'm so not fashion conscious. and I can't apply makeup to save my life.
    :frown:

maybe I'll try to find something else? depend son what fits on Saturday really, and if we get any sun ever!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    although now that I see the above response it is a bit wintery in color...LBD is fine all season, but the access colors look wintery as well. But you could totally get away with it and if this is a good place to wear I would go for it.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    At first I was going to say absolutely but at night, with a band, dancing and likely not going in the pool? then I say go for it!

*lol*

why would my friend go out and buy a $800 dress for her party only to either get thrown in the pool in it, spill red wine down the front (usually the dress is white!), or decide halfway through the evening she looks bad and drag 4 or 5 of her closest friends into her room-sized closet to help her pick somethign to wear?

it's THAT kind of party!
    :bigsmile:
  • TigressPat
    Options
    At first I was going to say absolutely not but at night, with a band, dancing and likely not going in the pool? then I say go for it!

(although no that I see the above response it is a bit wintery in color)

I'm starting to think that now too!
    :huh:
  • TigressPat
    Options
    now I'm going to have to post another thread with another dress (if I ever find one!)

• simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Way too dressy for a pool party!
  • krawl78
    krawl78 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous dress but I think it's a little too cocktail for a pool party... Look for a nice maxi dress that will show off your beautiful body! Also, like others have said, the color is not spring/summer. You look stunning in it though!!
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think it is too fancy ....Hope I don't sound mean everyone else say's wear it..I just would not ...It looks cute on you though
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Gorgeous dress but I think it's a little too cocktail for a pool party... Look for a nice maxi dress that will show off your beautiful body! Also, like others have said, the color is not spring/summer. You look stunning in it though!!

thank you.
    :blushing:

I don't have a lot of dresses that fit currently and can't go out and buy one as I'm very unconventionally shaped and cannot shop in my country.

as I mentioned I wore a maxi I tailored to fit myself last weekend (at the pre-party- don't ask!) and ended up catching my toes and heels in the hem when i danced, so i think i want to avoid that this weekend.

no time to order another dress either, party is Saturday.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    BEAUTIFUL dress, if you love it and want to wear it, then do it, but I think it is a little too dressy for a pool party.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think the main question is will it make you feel great, or will you be self-conscious the whole time about being overdressed? If it were me - I'd probably go with something a little less formal. Cute dress, though!

honestly?

I have no idea.

I started this thread because I'm not much of a girly girl and have issues even dressing myself appropriately!

I'm pretty shy and self-conscious (at first at least) in all things.

If I went in a bikini, I'd hide all night. If I went in jeans and T-shirt I;d probably feel badly dressed, if I wore a sundress I;d probably get cold, or be tugging at it all night.

I THINK I like this dress, but as no one (except you guys!) has seen it on me yet, I'm not really sure about it yet.

I'm not sure why you think you would be cold in a sundress and not this dress. I think ideally, you should wear a floor length maxi dress with cute sandals and a cardigan to wear over it if you get cold. Voila, attire for an evening summer party!
  • seif0068
    Options

thank you.

I don't have a lot of dresses that fit currently and can't go out and buy one as I'm very unconventionally shaped and cannot shop in my country.

as I mentioned I wore a maxi I tailored to fit myself last weekend (at the pre-party- don't ask!) and ended up catching my toes and heels in the hem when i danced, so i think i want to avoid that this weekend.

Ok wait...there was a pre-party last weekend; it's a pool party but also an evening soiree; people bring multiple changes of clothing, everyone there is super fashion-conscious but you don't have a clue about fashion...

who the heck are these people, and why are you attending this party? it doesn't sound fun - sounds like way more trouble than its worth!
  • TigressPat
    Options

thank you.

Ok wait...there was a pre-party last weekend; it's a pool party but also an evening soiree; people bring multiple changes of clothing, everyone there is super fashion-conscious but you don't have a clue about fashion...

who the heck are these people, and why are you attending this party? it doesn't sound fun - sounds like way more trouble than its worth!

*lol*
    its the birthday party (belated) for my BFF from childhood. The actual party was supposed to be last weekend, but due to the weather, she cancelled it. No one told me (I missed the FB message!) and I showed up anyway as did a bunch of others, so we had a pre-party party with about 17-18 people, which was fun.
    we (my old friend and I) do not see each other terribly often and run in different crowds now. But we grew up together, travelled together, and always are old friends again without awkwardness no matter how many year go by between meetings.
    She is a doctor and owns a huge house on the river with a huge pool, hottub etc. she throws a mega bash once a year.
    It actually does end up being pretty fun as she invites people from all walks of life and amazingly, we get along! I'm not fashion conscious at all, no, but i do like parties and dancing, and my friend always makes huge point of inviting me many times and checking every few days to make sure I'll actually be attending!
    Usually there are also other old friends that we both knew way back when.
    she also has some snobbier friends, some trashy friends, some sophisticated friends, and last year there was even some "Italian businessmen" friends!
    It's always an experience, and I think she'd be somewhat upset if I did NOT go.

But because it's so varied in venue/time/guests etc it's hard to figure out what to wear, but also unlikely that whatever I wear will elicit stares, snickers, or blatant pointing!

don;t want to do the maxi thing simply because they few i have that fit have gotten longer as I've lost weight and are great with shoes, but terrible for dancing. I'm an "energetic" dancer *lol* and my feet get caught in the masses of long heavy skirt.

as for warmth, a cotton sundress will be much lighter and offer less coverage even than the dress I was considering.
  • seif0068
    Options

thank you.

*lol*
    its the birthday party (belated) for my BFF from childhood. The actual party was supposed to be last weekend, but due to the weather, she cancelled it. No one told me (I missed the FB message!) and I showed up anyway as did a bunch of others, so we had a pre-party party with about 17-18 people, which was fun.
    we (my old friend and I) do not see each other terribly often and run in different crowds now. But we grew up together, travelled together, and always are old friends again without awkwardness no matter how many year go by between meetings.
    She is a doctor and owns a huge house on the river with a huge pool, hottub etc. she throws a mega bash once a year.
    It actually does end up being pretty fun as she invites people from all walks of life and amazingly, we get along! I'm not fashion conscious at all, no, but i do like parties and dancing, and my friend always makes huge point of inviting me many times and checking every few days to make sure I'll actually be attending!
    she also has some snobbier friends, some trashy friends, some sophisticated friends, and last year there was even some "Italian businessmen" friends!

But because it's so varied in venue/time/guests etc it's hard to figure out what to wear, but also unlikely that whatever I wear will elicit stares, snickers, or blatant pointing!

don;t want to do the maxi thing simply because they few i have that fit have gotten longer as I've lost weight and are great with shoes, but terrible for dancing. I'm an "energetic" dancer *lol* and my feet get caught in the masses of long heavy skirt.

as for warmth, a cotton sundress will be much lighter and offer less coverage even than the dress I was considering.

fair enough :P i also have a best friend from childhood and it's similar - probably wouldn't have been friends if we met later in life.

with that guest list i would have to imagine there would be a very eclectic mix of fashion choices so i'd just wear the darn dress. :)
  • TigressPat
    Options

thank you.

*lol*

fair enough :P i also have a best friend from childhood and it's similar - probably wouldn't have been friends if we met later in life.

with that guest list i would have to imagine there would be a very eclectic mix of fashion choices so i'd just wear the darn dress. :)

I probably would not approach her now, (if I met her in the present time) as she's gorgeous, sophisticated and soignee, but I'd still like her if we had the chance to interact.
    for all the changes in her life, she's still essentially the same chick who dragged me into clubs at age 14 and made me dance on the bars!
    I love her, not just for her past self and our shared childhood memories, but for the present smile she always brings to my day. I hope she will keep having the parties for years to come, and that I'll keep going every year, even if I can't for the life of me figure out what to wear!