A very interesting and informational read on deficits...

Options

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that two arbitrarily made up end points constitute a trend.

Who knew?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read up on later.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read up on later.
    Protip / time saver: Read the original article, skip the rest.
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good read, thanks for posting!
  • CassandraChloeJ
    CassandraChloeJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I have removed several posts in this topic that violate our community guidelines. I haven't locked this topic but want to respectfully remind folks of a couple of guidelines below and to also encourage our members to:

1. Please use the ignore feature to hide those posts from member's you would rather not see. Click the triangular menu button below that user's profile photo, next to any post made by that user in the forums. Select "Ignore User" and that user's posts will be hidden from you in all topics. These posts will be replaced by a notice that you are ignoring the user, along with an "undo" link to reverse the process.

2. Report posts that you feel are a violation of our community guidelines; do not reply back with comments, images, and attacks.

The forum guidelines include these items:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting
    Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    To read later
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    What a great read! I kind of needed to read this today! Thanks!
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Tag!
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    He brings up some interesting points, but a pound of muscle or a pound of fat, is still a pound it doesn't magically turn into 6 lbs.
    There are no unicorns involved in weight loss.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • slacker75
    slacker75 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting.. I can't wait to read later.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Saving to read the rest later- but what I have read so far is solid
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    He brings up some interesting points, but a pound of muscle or a pound of fat, is still a pound it doesn't magically turn into 6 lbs.
    There are no unicorns involved in weight loss.

He was referring to fact that the assumed 3500 calorie deficit always means fat.

And while that may be the amount of calories in a lb of fat, that is also the amount of calories that can be supplied for energy by 6 lbs of muscle.

So you make a deficit steep enough, the 3500 per lb doesn't apply, you may get more weight loss than math would suggest and be thrilled, until you realize it was actually muscle mass causing it along with fat loss.

Or conversely, you've been on too steep a deficit for awhile, and are still eeking out some loss that is well below what math would suggest, chances are a decent amount of that is muscle mass too.

Or you do it totally wrong, and possible, to encourage a good amount to be muscle, and appear to be losing exactly what the math would suggest.
    That's easy, eat too low, eat low carb, don't eat enough protein, and do long intense cardio daily.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    bump
    to read later
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options