Anyone else feel crushed by all the "No" foods?

Options
So, I don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but lately I have been feeling really exhausted by all the foods I am supposed to be trying to avoid. Fast food, potato chips, and fried foods...ok, I totally understand that. But it seems the more research I do on eating healthy, the more foods end up on the "No" list. Reading an article from the NY Times today almost had me in tears. It put on the list of food to try to eat infrequently: Red meat, potatoes, refined grains, 100% fruit juice. It did say that dairy (low fat or full fat) have a neutral effect on weight. And that yogurt is strongly linked to weight loss, so at least I can eat some cheese!

In other articles I have read recently have instructed me to avoid corn and peas (high in starches), anything with artificial sweeteners, items high in fat, but also low fat foods (since your body needs fat to properly delivery nutrients), and too much fruit (since they contain so much sugar). Many articles now are recommending drinking a glass of wine a day for good health, but wine has a lot of calories and I am not a drinker. Then, there's the push to avoid wheat, so today, I picked up a little cookbook with wheat-free recipes. Many of which called for almond flour. A Google search of almond flour showed me that it was cost-prohibitive and also gave me an article entitled "5 Reasons To Avoid Almond Flour".

I am exhausted. My weight loss has stalled a little of the last couple of weeks, but I was trying to content myself with ideas of eating healthier a little at a time and increasing my exercise.

And the old fall back of "everything in moderation"? Well according to a Harvard doctor in NYT article “The notion that it’s O.K. to eat everything in moderation is just an excuse to eat whatever you want.”

My brain hurts and I am beginning to feel like I must learn to live on nothing but broccoli, blueberries, and water. Is it not possible to eat health AND enjoy food? Should I just give up on the idea of enjoying meals and just look at them as a chore, like doing the laundry? It's really beginning to make me feel like it's not worth it.

Sorry for this long post and thanks for listening to me whine.

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    What "No" foods? I eat whatever I want to, in moderation, and I lose weight. I look good and feel better than I have in years. My tastes run to meat, lots of it, vegetables, fruits, cheese, eggs, nuts, ginger !!, chocolate, not much for pasta/breads/salty snack items. There are some things like mac and cheese, pop tart/toaster strudel sort of stuff, that I don't eat at all because I really dislike it. I LOVE broccoli and blueberries! And I have a couple of chocolate-covered freeze-dried strawberries before bed every night.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'll never restrict myself to foods ever again - this is why WeightWatcers, when I tried it, didn't work for me, too much restrictions. I eat what I want (for the most part) in moderation. If I know I want to go to McDonald's, I make room in my day for that. Never restrict yourself, you'll end up hitting rock bottom, which seems like what you're going through right now. Keep your head up :)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    What "No" foods? I eat whatever I want to, in moderation, and I lose weight. I look good and feel better than I have in years.
    This! We differ only on the food specifics (PopTarts rule!).
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    There are no "no foods" unless you are allergic.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Eh, I eat what I want. Key for me is moderation.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "no foods".
    Unless it tastes bad.

Eat food you enjoy, count calories and maintain a deficit. That's it.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stop reading articles. Oh, and go have some ice cream.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I eat almost the same exact food that I ate before I decided to lose weight. A lot of the recipes I have I've tweeked slightly to make them more calorie friendly, and I weigh/measure everything to control my portions and have an accurate record of what I'm eating. If you like chips, then have a few. Just don't go overboard, and count them in your diary.

I personally believe that the only 'No' foods that should be on your list are any foods that you're allergic to or if there's something that does not agree with your system. If you don't have these problems, the what you need to do is have the proper combo of proteins, grains, fats...etc, drink your water, and most of all, portion control.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Unless it tastes bad.

yes.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Unless it tastes bad.

yes.

^ This.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Unless it tastes bad.

yes.

^^True dat.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Clean eating has its merits but a lot of people turn it into a religion. If you are really good at calorie/macro counting then you can have what you want as long as you manage your calorie intake.
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Stop reading the news. It's there to make you upset.
    Eat well but don't sweat a little junk or steak now and then.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you base your nutrition on what you read in the newspaper, you will eventually cut out everything and have nothing left to eat.

Aim for a good variety of mostly home-cooked foods (instead of heavily processed), and you'll be fine. Leave room for some treats and visit your favorite restaurant once in a while. It's really not rocket surgery. You've got this.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any 'no' foods, and I had no problem losing 65 pounds and surpassing my goal. I've been maintaining now for 15 months. In past efforts to lose weight, having 'no' foods just set me up to fail. The rules that worked for me: Eat what you like (in moderation), Watch your portion sizes and Exercise.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't consider ANY FOODS as off limits.... You have to change your relationship with food and learn that everything in moderation is the key to a sustainable lifestyle... Best of Luck.... :drinker:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Everything will kill you. Spoiler alert: none of us are going to get out of this alive.

There are no "no" foods. I eat what I want, in moderation and enjoy it. What's the point otherwise? I get that being healthy is a good thing, but when you start impacting on your daily enjoyment of life, what's the point?? I'd rather be mostly healthy and happy, than follow every single (often stupid) rule and be miserable.
  • lizreed12
    lizreed12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For every article or research that advocates eating a certain food, there is an equal and opposite article that will tell you to avoid it. At one time it was that eggs were supposedly terrible for you, and then eggs were a superfood, and then they were terrible again, and then they're great again. There will always be new research, new findings, new "groundbreaking" discoveries about which foods are good and bad.... but the bottom line is, humans have been eating food since the beginning of time. They ate corn, bread, fruit, eggs, milk, etc. And now new research is telling us that these things are detrimental to our existence. Honestly, take everything you read with a grain of salt. There are pros and cons to every food. Don't live your life constantly trying to eat perfectly. You will be miserable. When you die, will it really matter that you ate gluten, even if it wasn't necessarily the healthiest option? Do what works for you. Make healthier choices without going to extremes. Extremes are not maintainable!
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I eat pretty much whatever I want. Today, for example, I ate fried cheese, an Italian sausage sandwich, wine, and fries. As long as I am not doing that all the time, things will be cool. You are human...not some mutant bunny robot who should only eat lettuce and turnips for the rest of your life.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Wow......a guaranteed road to failure is total elimination of a food you crave or desire. Didn't see anything you mentioned that couldn't be ate in moderation