Anyone else feel crushed by all the "No" foods?

Options

Replies

• perfkdrug
    perfkdrug Posts: 24
    Options
    What "No" foods? I eat whatever I want to, in moderation, and I lose weight.
    absolutely this
    have the foods you like - but smaller amounts! and bulk up the rest of your meal/snack with stuff that's a little healthier

small changes have a big impact over time :)
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    instead of "no" maybe think "minimize". And just because some foods are not well-tolerated by some bodies, doesn't mean everyone can't eat them.

Eat what you want, stay at or just under calories most days, and see how you do. If you stall out, try changing things up a bit. Maybe try cutting something that you suspect is hard for your body if and when you hit a prolonged period of not losing, but you don't have to cut everything you read about, and certainly not all at once!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

And the old fall back of "everything in moderation"? Well according to a Harvard doctor in NYT article “The notion that it’s O.K. to eat everything in moderation is just an excuse to eat whatever you want.”

Why shouldn't I eat whatever I want? I lost weight just fine doing just that. I enjoy food and I enjoy getting fit. One does not mean you can't have the other.

Avoidance of specific foods is extreme and unnecessary unless you have an allergy intolerance, or some other medical reason to do so.
  • rainsable
    rainsable Posts: 7
    Options
    Don't know how to include the link but check out the guy who posted 150lbs weight loss and look at the pictures of the food he enjoyed along the way. You can eat whaever you want, as long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Sure, you want to get all the nutrients your body needs but what is life if you say no to having a bit of what you fancy.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Don't know how to include the link but check out the guy who posted 150lbs weight loss and look at the pictures of the food he enjoyed along the way. You can eat whaever you want, as long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Sure, you want to get all the nutrients your body needs but what is life if you say no to having a bit of what you fancy.

That thread is gone because people are jerks with poor reading comprehension and agendas of their own.

He posted it as a blog, though. (NOTE: he clearly states he does not ONLY eat these foods. He practices moderation and eats "healthy" the majority of the time and exercises to work for it)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/downsizinghoss/view/some-of-what-i-ate-while-losing-the-first-150-pounds-542546

Edit: Typo. :grumble:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Clean eating has its merits but a lot of people turn it into a religion. If you are really good at calorie/macro counting then you can have what you want as long as you manage your calorie intake.

I'll co-sign this reasonable post.
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There are some "four round trips to the gate" foods since it is about 100 calories there and back. My question is: do I want the toast and peanut butter so badly that I am willing to walk four miles to get it?" usually I am just too lazy to eat things that are that calorie-intensive. But on the days when I work in the yard, I get the payoffs. Still, three tangerines or a slice of bread? A teensy bag of (what I have now noticed are oily) chips or yogurt and a half-cup of pineapple? I can eat ANYTHING if I want to. What I want is to be healthy, to live a longer life, and to live it with enthusiasm. No gain, no pain.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm I don't know what a "no" food is, either :P Are you saying I shouldn't have had pizza and cheesy bread on Saturday? Or Doritos the other night right before bed? :wink:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't have "NO" foods, I just have "not all the time and not all at once" foods. You can eat ANYTHING you want, or you can eat ANY AMOUNT you want (almost) but you can't do both.

I favor the "eat mostly lean meats, dairy, fruits and vegetables" plan with occasional whole grain carbs. On the weekends, I like to have a sweet indulgent treat. I work out hard and log all my food, so it usually works out fine.

You won't lose weight with one "bad" meal a week, just like you won't gain weight by eating one salad a week. It's a cumulative effect of your behavior over time. All of the food and nutrition studies are the same... they aren't studying people who eat anything moderately, they are studying the effects of eating massive quantities of any one thing. Eat healthy, whole foods most of the time, watch your calories and macros most of the time, don't go overboard too often and you should be fine.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Just be careful of keeping a lot of high fructose corn syrup products in your house, and you're good.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    "And the old fall back of "everything in moderation"? Well according to a Harvard doctor in NYT article “The notion that it’s O.K. to eat everything in moderation is just an excuse to eat whatever you want.”

Damn right! Look, I'm not a robot and neither are you. While I try to pick the healthy option when I can, sometimes I want a freaking cookie. SO - a cookie I will have.

I wouldn't even say that's a correct statement. If I could eat whatever I wanted all the time, it would be sweets. ALL THE TIME lol
    Want to know what my 'sweets' were today? 200g of strawberries, blackberries, blueberries & raspberries.

Try not to over think it, or you'll make yourself crazy! Hang in there :-)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I don't have any "no" foods. Everything is moderated. If not that day, then within the next few days. Or I add in a few extra reps and sets. Seriously...I like eat good food waaaaay too much.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

And the old fall back of "everything in moderation"? Well according to a Harvard doctor in NYT article “The notion that it’s O.K. to eat everything in moderation is just an excuse to eat whatever you want.”

Why shouldn't I eat whatever I want? I lost weight just fine doing just that. I enjoy food and I enjoy getting fit. One does not mean you can't have the other.

Avoidance of specific foods is extreme and unnecessary unless you have an allergy intolerance, or some other medical reason to do so.

Exactly. What is wrong with eating whatever you want? The issue is how much, not what.

Make sure your get a balanced diet of mainly nutrient dense food from a variety of sources and have some treats.
  • littlelady2b
    littlelady2b Posts: 104
    Options
    There is no such thing as "no foods".
    Unless it tastes bad.

Eat food you enjoy, count calories and maintain a deficit. That's it.

yes.

^ This.

I agree 110%
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just be careful of keeping a lot of high fructose corn syrup products in your house, and you're good.

Because HFCS is the debil, right?

Amirite?

I'm right, right?
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    There's not much I can say here that hasn't been said already. I don't forbid myself from eating certain things. I just approach them responsibly. Am I willing to balance them with my other choices and work off the calories with exercise? If so, I go for it. I even have an occasional "over" day and don't beat myself up for it. i just don't let it get me off track. i don't want to face a life without my favorite foods, and there's no reason to. Just make them fit into an overall healthy lifestyle.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i saw ny times and harvard and stopped reading...
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Moderation is key. What has been working for me is to make the effort to include more of the good stuff (making an effort to have at least two veggies a day and several fruits, making sure I get a lot of protein from chicken, fish, cottage cheese, egg whites [I love eggs but prefer to cut out the cholesterol], Greek yogurt, and yes some red meat now and then) and then if I've satisfied all these requirements for myself I fill up the rest of my calories with "no" foods! lol! But really, since I've been making an effort to purposely eat more of the healthy stuff, I've been less hungry and haven't craved the junk as much. But I still eat a fair amount of junk and I'm losing weight. I try to keep a reasonably close eye on the amount of cholesterol, saturated fat, and sodium I eat because heart problems run in my family, but other than that I don't worry too much.

So go ahead, have a couple Oreos one day, have a cheeseburger, whatever, just count your calories and make sure you know for yourself that you are eating sensibly and getting lots of good stuff in there.

Also, unless you have Celiac disease, the gluten allergy, there's no reason to cut out wheat. Whole wheat and whole grain things are good for you (and tasty).
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    how about focusing on the 'good' foods?

(OK, i eat whatever i want too. probably why i am not losing as much as i could be...)

just saying, when i tried low carb, first time around, i had a 'no-list' and got really frustrated. the second time i had a 'shopping-list' of all the good foods, and it totally changed my attitude towards it. i gave it up, because i was not prepared to stop eating chocolate and milk for the rest of my life - i'd rather start lifting and running more... :bigsmile: