Anyone else feel crushed by all the "No" foods?

Options

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    38695961.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    38695961.jpg

NICE!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'll never restrict myself to foods ever again - this is why WeightWatcers, when I tried it, didn't work for me, too much restrictions. I eat what I want (for the most part) in moderation. If I know I want to go to McDonald's, I make room in my day for that. Never restrict yourself, you'll end up hitting rock bottom, which seems like what you're going through right now. Keep your head up :)
    Agreed.. Nothing should be off limits but know your limitations!
  • nikilis
    Options
    38696056.jpg
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't like discussing articles unless I've read them, so here's the actual source (which is not new, it's from 2011)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
    The foods that contributed to the greatest weight gain were not surprising. French fries led the list: Increased consumption of this food alone was linked to an average weight gain of 3.4 pounds in each four-year period. Other important contributors were potato chips (1.7 pounds), sugar-sweetened drinks (1 pound), red meats and processed meats (0.95 and 0.93 pound, respectively), other forms of potatoes (0.57 pound), sweets and desserts (0.41 pound), refined grains (0.39 pound), other fried foods (0.32 pound), 100-percent fruit juice (0.31 pound) and butter (0.3 pound).

Also not too surprising were most of the foods that resulted in weight loss or no gain when consumed in greater amounts during the study: fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Compared with those who gained the most weight, participants in the Nurses’ Health Study who lost weight consumed 3.1 more servings of vegetables each day.

But contrary to what many people believe, an increased intake of dairy products, whether low-fat (milk) or full-fat (milk and cheese), had a neutral effect on weight.

And despite conventional advice to eat less fat, weight loss was greatest among people who ate more yogurt and nuts, including peanut butter, over each four-year period.

Nuts are high in vegetable fat, and previous small studies have shown that eating peanut butter can help people lose weight and keep it off, probably because it slows the return of hunger.

That yogurt, among all foods, was most strongly linked to weight loss was the study’s most surprising dietary finding, the researchers said. Participants who ate more yogurt lost an average of 0.82 pound every four years.

I don't find any of this to be life changing. The "bad" foods are all relatively high calorie, and in most cases low in satiation (don't make you feel full) if you eat them to excess naturally they will lead to weight gain. I don't think this means you can never eat them again, it's just another source telling you that you have to be careful to limit your intake of these foods.

I also think it's weak to throw red meat in with all processed meats. There's a big difference between eating a steak and snacking on salami all day, in terms of how full you feel.
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Options
    I eat chips, chocolate, ice cream, cheeseburgers... and I am losing. There's no such thing as a "NO" food for me. I just have to be aware of my limits. ENJOY! It's your life, and it's too short to be miserable all the time <3
  • nikilis
    Options
    38696147.jpg
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    how many of us can truly abstain forever from all the foods we love that we supposedly shouldn't eat? probably none of us. So, instead of trying and trying and trying to never ever eat those foods and then failing and hating ourselves for it... we incorporate those things in moderation. We plan for them, we count them, we do an extra workout if we really want something that goes beyond our calorie allotment.

might it be better for us physically to never have certain things? maybe. but mentally, having those treats keeps me happy and sane, and knowing i can have those foods sometimes makes it much easier to keep to a mostly healthy-food diet the rest of the time.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP, at the end of it all, you want to make sure you lived life, not just protected yourself from it. I'm all for eating a healthy diet. I'm not for exhaustion at trying to achieve a perfect one. Eat potatoes, eat fruit, eat peas. Eat a healthy amount of fat. Enjoy some treats. I may have missed it in the responses, but you sound like someone who should look up the If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) approach stat. If you follow it properly, you'll get your healthy diet and your treats. Enjoy!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Classifying foods as being "bad" or "No" foods only leads to failure. Or eating disorders. Don't go down that path. Eat a reasonably balanced and nutritious diet. Indulge in moderation. Succeed.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I disagree entirely!

There is a category of "NO" foods, and that is my food!

get your hands off my ice cream!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I found, in the beginning, that it was easier to spread my calories out throughout the day if I avoided more than 1-2 servings a day of anything "white" (high starch, high carbs). If I eat like I want to, I'd OD on carbs. So, I limited myself to Healthy Choice bread (35 cals per 2 slices), thin bagels, wheat low fat soft shell tortillas, and only chips like goldfish or something like that which was baked. I tried to fill my diet with nutrient dense food instead. I would take grocery trips, just for me, and find veggies to try, new products I found I enjoyed (red pepper hummus), and whatever fruit was in season, I used my chip/cola budget to buy up! I felt like I was "TREATING" myself, not denying myself by really learning to treat my body well. When the kids order fries, I'd eat 2-3 at their hot peak, and be able to let them have the rest...I had the taste to match the smell and I could move on. I kept protein or granola bars or fruit with me all the time so that if others were making other choices, I had my choices with me already pre-planned. As long as I didn't let myself get hungry, I had no problem resisting.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Stop reading and researching and live your life, eat good food, eat bad food, exercise, find a balance and enjoy your life!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Awe bless your heart I know it can be a bit overwhelming and scary and you've touched on a lot of topics that I wish I could talk about. I think some good solid nutritional education might be great for you and really help with the confusion. Next time you visit the doctor ask for a referral to a dietitian.

For now, unless you have some sort of underlying medical issue, the old adage everything in moderation might be just what you need. Portion control can sometimes really help.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    The only foods that I have said "no" to is soda pop, and I really try not to take in anything that has aspartame in it. Splenda, truvia, is okay, and honey and sugar. I think that if you can't control yourself around certain foods, then don't buy them. For me, it is potato chips. I could eat a whole bag. Everything in moderation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    All foods are fine if not over consumed. The End.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Also, for a while, remember how they said margarine was so much better than butter? Now, we know that the trans fats were worse than the butter. Also, how they said that eggs would raise cholesterol? Now, we know that they actually raise the "good" cholesterol. Next year, it will change again. Bottom line is, eat foods that you like that will make you feel full, and allow a treat once in a while. Good luck in all your endeavors. Don't believe everything you read.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Having a list of NO foods is a sure fire way to become a PITA. The only no foods should be foods you find: A. repulsive B. are against your religion C. you are allergic to D. are massive trigger foods, but even then if you buy a single serving and don't have triggers in your house go for it. E. foods that your doctor says you shouldn't have because of some health condition
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation.

I had a 400 - calorie slice of chocolate cake last night. It was delicious. It was terrible for me. But that amount is easy to erase.
    And I still woke up with a flat stomach. I cut out about 400 calories tonight to remain at maintenance.

All that you need to do to maintain a certain weight is

1. keep account of the calories

2. retain / grow lean muscle mass

3. meet nutritional needs for health

That boils down with emphasizing several food groups most of the time.

1. fruits / vegetables

2. lean protein

3. whole grains

4. healthy fats

The rest of the time, eat what you want.

Some inside tips:
    Potatoes are fine for you.
    Sweet potatoes are crazy good for you.
    Red meat that is lean is fine if you are healthy. Watch for calories !
    It's better to eat healthier overall and indulge in one or two vices then do nothing.
    You can also simply reduce how much or how often of a certain food that you eat.
    Consider substituting ground beef for Morningstar crumbles in tacos and chili - I can hardly taste the difference.
    Fruit juice is fine - if you combine it with a protein to slow down digestion (limit the sugar rush). Drinking your calories makes it a little tougher to keep them low, though. White bread is fine in moderation. It just doesn't have the fiber that helps keep you full.

Most important is that your taste buds CHANGE as you lose weight. Normal foods taste better than before. I used to only eat white bread with american cheese. I crave the nutty taste of whole wheat bread and I don't think I'm losing anything. Borden's fat free cheese actually tastes the same to me as regular cheese. I mix splenda into plain greek yogurt and it has the consistency of a heavy mousse or cheese cake! My chocolate and blueberry oatmeal (0 grams sugar) is giving me the same mental hit that a piece of chocolate cake would, not even joking. And it doesn't end with a sugar rush or head ache - just fullness and feeling of content. I love eating and I'm getting at least twice the pleasure from it than I did when I was heavy. It also took months of slow adjustment to start feeling a difference.

When people with bad diets complain about our healthy food, it's not that our food lacks flavor - it's that they've desensitized their taste buds by constantly spiking them with endless hits of sugar, salt, and fat mixed with the standard cheap fillers like white flour. A lot of obese people risk becoming malnourished because they're eating the nutritional equivalent of a bread and water diet with some sugar and fat. They're missing out on dozens of species of plants with all sorts of colors, textures and nutrients.

Hold out for six months to a year - incorporate substitutes and different fruit / veg. Just mix it into something you're cooking. Then try a few completely random and new health foods - quinoa is a great grain that's high in protein and fiber, but doesn't taste like it.

Start with some substitutes that are almost as good as the foods you replace.
    Eventually you will begin to crave and relish the healthy food over the less healthy choices.