Do you have any advice for weigh day?

My trainer at the gym weighs me once a week. I was wondering if you have any tips for the day before, or the day on how to achieve the most accurate weight, for example avoiding sodium or doing a little bit of extra exercise etc. Is there anything like that?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Get a new trainer or have a talk with the one you have. A number once a week is not a good picture of your progress. A monthly weigh-in would make more sense.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    I avoid high sodium meals the couple of days before my 'official' weigh day (or if I do have high sodium, recognise that that will affect my scale weight). Extra exercise, depending on what you do, could actually have the opposite effect (fluid retention from muscle repair).

Drink plenty of water and relax :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Why does your trainer need to weigh you? That would totally bug on me.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Get a new trainer or have a talk with the one you have. A number once a week is not a good picture of your progress. A monthly weigh-in would make more sense.

I agree!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Just do what you always do, you don't want to manipulate anything. Is he changing things based on a weekly weight or is it just for tracking? Weighing weekly for accountability is ok-but as you are concerned with keeping it accurate (ie lower) I am assuming this number means something to your trainer. If he is adjusting your calories/workouts/macros on a weekly basis he doesn't know what he is doing
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Just do what you always do, you don't want to manipulate anything. Is he changing things based on a weekly weight or is it just for tracking? Weighing weekly for accountability is ok-but as you are concerned with keeping it accurate (ie lower) I am assuming this number means something to your trainer. If he is adjusting your calories/workouts/macros on a weekly basis he doesn't know what he is doing

I think it's just for tracking. I have a meal plan that I'm supposed to stick to, so I pretty much eat the same thing everyday. Sometimes I will have an extra snack or a diet soda if I have done some extra exercise, and I'm wondering if that has sabotaged my results (I haven't lost weight for about three weeks, so I've started to get self conscious about someone else weighing me. Also, I had a big drop when my period started, so I think that much weightloss was expected every week. Yikes)
  • xstephnz
    Will drinking soda or diet soda the day or having artificial sugar before a weigh in cause bloating or make you weigh more?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    xstephnz wrote: »

I think it's just for tracking. I have a meal plan that I'm supposed to stick to, so I pretty much eat the same thing everyday. Sometimes I will have an extra snack or a diet soda if I have done some extra exercise, and I'm wondering if that has sabotaged my results (I haven't lost weight for about three weeks, so I've started to get self conscious about someone else weighing me. Also, I had a big drop when my period started, so I think that much weightloss was expected every week. Yikes)

There's a lot to address here.
  • slaite1
    Will drinking soda or diet soda the day or having artificial sugar before a weigh in cause bloating or make you weigh more?

You are obsessing. I'm not judging-I've totally been there. What you weigh on "weigh day" doesn't matter. You just want to lose weight. Artificial fluctuations are inconsequential. Either chill out and accept that weekly weights do not matter, or go down to every other week or even once a month.
  • slaite1
    edited May 2015

Trainers should not be giving you a meal plan. In fact-unless you have a medical issue no one should be giving you a meal plan. Calorie recommendations, helpful tips, recipes-sure. Meal plan? No. The 1 chapter in the CPT book does not qualify a trainer in nutrition.

Why are you eating the same thing every day? You need to do some research girly!! Losing weight is a matter of calories in vs calories out. Poke around the forums and get some advice.

A diet soda will have no impact on weight loss as it has no calories. An occasional snack will LIKELY have no impact. This really depends on what you're eating, how much exercise you did and total calories for the day.

Hormones can greatly effect weight!! I have gone as much as ten pounds up during my TMI. It goes away and is meaningless. Did your trainer say they expect a big loss each week? I am noticing a lot of "I think" in your responses. You're paying this person-they should be clear with you on why you are doing what you are doing and what your goals are. You seem ️unhappy with the situation and are not seeing progress. Perhaps it's time for a new trainer?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I disagree with the posters who don't like the idea of a weekly weigh in. I think it's good for accountability.

I don't think you should try to trick the scale on weigh day, but work for sustainability throughout the week.

I don't use artificial sugar, so can't address the bloating issue, but I do know that artificial sugar can make you want to eat more.

Are you weighing everything you eat and are you sure you're in a calorie deficit?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    My trainer at the gym weighs me once a week. I was wondering if you have any tips for the day before, or the day on how to achieve the most accurate weight, for example avoiding sodium or doing a little bit of extra exercise etc. Is there anything like that?

You're not trying to make weight for a boxing match. Just weigh yourself and record it.
  • darcelchoy
    darcelchoy Posts: 89 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »

I so agree with this

• xstephnz
    Trainers should not be giving you a meal plan. In fact-unless you have a medical issue no one should be giving you a meal plan. Calorie recommendations, helpful tips, recipes-sure. Meal plan? No. The 1 chapter in the CPT book does not qualify a trainer in nutrition.

I have a plan from a nutritionist.
  • slaite1

Nutritionist or registered dietitian? Don't get the same food every day thing.
  • ncboiler89

Be careful of anyone that calls themselves a nutritionist. If you have enough time in the next couple of days you can become a nutritionist.
  • Nony_Mouse
    I've seen Steph's food plan. Other than being repetitive it looks fine. Some people do better, especially in the early days, having something to follow, and I think Steph falls into that category currently. As she learns more I'm sure she will spread her wings and fly on her own :).

As for the weekly weigh in, just try to keep things roughly the same each week, and look at overall trends rather than just that one day/weight. You're headed downwards, that's the right direction. Some weeks you may lose more than others, some weeks you may not lose at all, some you may even go up for reasons unknown, but so long as overall your weight is going down, that's what is important.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member

Out of curiosity, are you following this meal plan? I took a peek at your diary and if it is following the meal plan then I would question this plan? Also, to me at least, it seems your calorie burns for light walking and light biking are high, personally I would not eat back all of those exercise calories.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Eureka175 wrote: »

Out of curiosity, are you following this meal plan? I took a peek at your diary and if it is following the meal plan then I would question this plan? Also, to me at least, it seems your calorie burns for light walking and light biking are high, personally I would not eat back all of those exercise calories.

Why would you question the plan?
  • ncboiler89
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Eureka175 wrote: »

Why would you question the plan?

haven't looked at the plan but I would question everything from a nutritionist.