Do you have any advice for weigh day?

Options
2»

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Make sure there is no deuterium oxide in your water. It's 11% heavier.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Wow, talk about performance anxiety if you're being weighed by your trainer!
    I weigh myself once a week on the last day of my workouts of the week, first thing in the morning. The key is consistency. If you always weigh yourself in undies, stick to it. If its always in the morning, stick to it. And always make sure you have done the morning er, emptying, and always on an empty stomach, before showering. I find that this way on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning after a work out on the same day/time, I get very consistent results and its easy to monitor the weight trends.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Eureka175 wrote: »
    xstephnz wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Trainers should not be giving you a meal plan. In fact-unless you have a medical issue no one should be giving you a meal plan. Calorie recommendations, helpful tips, recipes-sure. Meal plan? No. The 1 chapter in the CPT book does not qualify a trainer in nutrition.

I have a plan from a nutritionist.

Out of curiosity, are you following this meal plan? I took a peek at your diary and if it is following the meal plan then I would question this plan? Also, to me at least, it seems your calorie burns for light walking and light biking are high, personally I would not eat back all of those exercise calories.

Why would you question the plan?

Let me rephrase that a bit, I think I am more questioning if she is actually following this plan, which is why I asked for clarification - it seems odd to me that a meal plan would have several different types of breads (toast + naan or toast + tortilla) in one meal - not that there is anything wrong with that, I've just never seen that in any meal plans I have read. The calorie disbursement seems to differ widely, some meals over 800 calories, other in the 200s, that's all.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Trainers should not be giving you a meal plan. In fact-unless you have a medical issue no one should be giving you a meal plan. Calorie recommendations, helpful tips, recipes-sure. Meal plan? No. The 1 chapter in the CPT book does not qualify a trainer in nutrition.

Out of curiosity, are you following this meal plan? I took a peek at your diary and if it is following the meal plan then I would question this plan? Also, to me at least, it seems your calorie burns for light walking and light biking are high, personally I would not eat back all of those exercise calories.

Let me rephrase that a bit, I think I am more questioning if she is actually following this plan, which is why I asked for clarification - it seems odd to me that a meal plan would have several different types of breads (toast + naan or toast + tortilla) in one meal - not that there is anything wrong with that, I've just never seen that in any meal plans I have read. The calorie disbursement seems to differ widely, some meals over 800 calories, other in the 200s, that's all.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Have a look at my blog, the plan is in there. There are 6 meals over the day (1 is optional). She based it off foods I ate regulary anyway.
  • xstephnz
    Options

I give myself the lowest amount of calories available for my exercise. Hopefully I am doing a bit more than what I am tracking, although when I am walking the dog, there is lots of stopping and starting. If I didn't have him with me I would like to walk a lot faster.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Just do what you always do, you don't want to manipulate anything. Is he changing things based on a weekly weight or is it just for tracking? Weighing weekly for accountability is ok-but as you are concerned with keeping it accurate (ie lower) I am assuming this number means something to your trainer. If he is adjusting your calories/workouts/macros on a weekly basis he doesn't know what he is doing

I think it's just for tracking. I have a meal plan that I'm supposed to stick to, so I pretty much eat the same thing everyday. Sometimes I will have an extra snack or a diet soda if I have done some extra exercise, and I'm wondering if that has sabotaged my results (I haven't lost weight for about three weeks, so I've started to get self conscious about someone else weighing me. Also, I had a big drop when my period started, so I think that much weightloss was expected every week. Yikes)

1. For weight loss, nothing but calories matter. If sticking to the meal plan makes your life easier or better, go for it. But if you find that you would adhere to a diet with more freedom, do it your way. I have lost 56 pounds (and am currently maintaining) eating roughly the same as I always have.
    2. Diet sodas will do nothing for your body fat. I personally feel that they bloat me, but my gut seems to be unusually sensitive. You may not notice it.
    3. I don't know how close to a normal body weight you are, but you may not see a loss every week if you only have a few pounds to lose. BUT not losing for three weeks could also be a sign that you need to change something to get your energy balance in line.
    4. If you're self-conscious about someone else weighing you, weigh yourself at home first thing in the morning. You're paying your trainer and you don't have to do anything that makes you feel embarrassed.
    5. You might expect that level of weight loss every week, but if your trainer also expects that level, FIRE THEM. They do not have a clue what they are doing.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Be careful of anyone that calls themselves a nutritionist. If you have enough time in the next couple of days you can become a nutritionist.

I think you have to study for 3 years in New Zealand to do it (but don't quote me on that, it's better to look it up yourself).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    To become a dietitian in NZ:
    http://dietitians.org.nz/careers/become-a-dietitian/
    To train as a dietitian, you firstly need to complete an undergraduate degree majoring in human nutrition. The nature of the degree will differ depending on the university you are enrolled at but in most instances will be a BSc, a BCApSc or equivalent.

NZ
    Nutritionist
    - The term nutritionist is not a protected term and therefore can be used freely by anyone, as there is no specific qualification or legal registration process required.
  • SoulSisterSoulBrother
    SoulSisterSoulBrother Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are gaining muscle and thats the reason of not showing on the scale. Get measurements done on a monthly basis.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Get a new trainer or have a talk with the one you have. A number once a week is not a good picture of your progress. A monthly weigh-in would make more sense.

I agree that once a week isn't great, but I much prefer weighing every day. I'd hate weighing once a month, having to wait that long to know if I'm making any progress would totally destroy any motivation I had. Especially since a random fluctuation could completely remove any progress I'd made in the last month.