How I feel about some of these forums

Options
1234568»

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    baby05phat wrote: »
    I can confirm it with myself, I become the rat when I binge and do a few days of mostly junk (even in my calorie range) I can't handle it and it escalates and I stop wanting clean food and the clean food starts tasting like paper.
    If some people have it figured out with moderation thats awesome, but not everyone has. The only way to keep happy for me is to have healthy foods and desserts like dark chocolate, frozen banana ice cream, fruits etc

Or maybe you're using it as an excuse.

• biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    dalila747 wrote: »
    Main problems with this forum:
    1. People constantly demanding peer reviewed studies when someone posts a personal experience. We all know so-called scientific research can be biased, paid-for, factually incorrect or disproven by a better science next year. If all you want to do is read studies then why come to a board like this at all?
    2. Endless squabbling about definitions: addiction and clean eating being two obvious contenders.
    3. Close-minded, point-scoring debate as opposed to real productive dialogue. I'd like to listen to someone else's viewpoint and share mine and hopefully both of us would emerge with a greater understanding.
    4. And yeah, unnecessary rudeness. If people are saying they're tired of answering the same questions over and over then... don't answer them! How often do you see a thread where the OP's question is answered correctly with the first reply, and it's then followed by twenty other replies in tones of increasing snarkiness, telling him/her the exact same information.

Totally. I posted a link to a study about and mentioned that I thought it was interesting and food for thought. People seemed to answer in very sarcastic and snarky ways. I wasn't telling people, hey. change the way you eat right now OHMYGOD, it was more oh, this is interesting. So yeah. I do see what you are saying.

Haha, totally agree, especially Nr. 1. I posted once, that IMO to much processed added sugar is bad for bones and teeth and a few people attacked me like asking me, where I read this and they want to see studies and proof, bla bla bla. It is what I believe after reading a few books about it. I do not have to proof anything. Everyone can do their own research and believe what they want. Luckily the thread got shot down cause people got so rude.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    life is hard bro

the vocal people here know what works and have the data and results to back it up

So you are saying that those who talk the loudest ( or the most harsh in their way of stating things ) are those who know, because according to your logic having date and results depends on being vocal, while those members here who are a bit more reserved and not as vocal are all idiots ?
    That's at least what I get from your statement.

you're making incredibly terrible inferences.

in my personal experience, those here who are vocal and critical of others are also the ones who know their *kitten*. I am not implying causation, merely highlighting a correlation I have observed.

worry less about my employment of logic and more about your deductive/inductive reasoning skills. :mrgreen:
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    baby05phat wrote: »
    I can confirm it with myself, I become the rat when I binge and do a few days of mostly junk (even in my calorie range) I can't handle it and it escalates and I stop wanting clean food and the clean food starts tasting like paper.
    If some people have it figured out with moderation thats awesome, but not everyone has. The only way to keep happy for me is to have healthy foods and desserts like dark chocolate, frozen banana ice cream, fruits etc

Or maybe you're using it as an excuse.

I don't see anyone making an excuse, I see someone explaining what she DOES need to do to keep this under control.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    1. People constantly demanding peer reviewed studies when someone posts a personal experience. We all know so-called scientific research can be biased, paid-for, factually incorrect or disproven by a better science next year. If all you want to do is read studies then why come to a board like this at all?
    2. Endless squabbling about definitions: addiction and clean eating being two obvious contenders.
    3. Close-minded, point-scoring debate as opposed to real productive dialogue. I'd like to listen to someone else's viewpoint and share mine and hopefully both of us would emerge with a greater understanding.
    4. And yeah, unnecessary rudeness. If people are saying they're tired of answering the same questions over and over then... don't answer them! How often do you see a thread where the OP's question is answered correctly with the first reply, and it's then followed by twenty other replies in tones of increasing snarkiness, telling him/her the exact same information.

Hi, I was the one who mentioned that people ask the same questions over and over again. I do not answer them. I was just stating that OP shouldn't expect the nicest of responses when the questions have been answered over and over again, usually the answer is on the same page, with the same question in the subject line, the same condescending people answering them. I like new people and expect questions. If you don't want the rude answers be a little more observant when you ask questions because the answer, 99% of the time, is right under your nose - too lazy to look for it. I do agree with everything else you said :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Totally. I posted a link to a study about and mentioned that I thought it was interesting and food for thought. People seemed to answer in very sarcastic and snarky ways. I wasn't telling people, hey. change the way you eat right now OHMYGOD, it was more oh, this is interesting. So yeah. I do see what you are saying.

Haha, totally agree, especially Nr. 1. I posted once, that IMO sugar is bad for bones and teeth and a few people attacked me like asking me, where I read this and they want to see studies and proof, bla bla bla. It is what I believe after reading a few books about it. I do not have to proof anything. Everyone can do their own research and believe what they want. Luckily the thread got shot down cause people got so rude.

well...it's really not about beliefs and feelings...there's actual science and facts and whatnot to consider. that's what so many people seem to be missing...you can believe all you want that the earth is flat and the sun revolves around the earth...it doesn't make it factually so just because you believe it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Physioprof never said what she was or what qualifications she had she merely made some veiled comment that her username spoke volumes and gave her statements more validity than a long term poster who dared to ask questions in fact IIRC she said that said poster didn't have the right to ask such questions (I may be wrong on the latter bit though)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Haha, totally agree, especially Nr. 1. I posted once, that IMO to much processed added sugar is bad for bones and teeth and a few people attacked me like asking me, where I read this and they want to see studies and proof, bla bla bla. It is what I believe after reading a few books about it. I do not have to proof anything. Everyone can do their own research and believe what they want. Luckily the thread got shot down cause people got so rude.

How is asking you questions "attacking" you?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Yes, I actually remember reading that post and while people were busy shouting for research papers I went and googled the information for myself (because I was interested) and immediately found lots of stuff about sugar being linked to osteoporosis, which I didn't know before.
    I don't like to suspect the worst of people but that kind of behaviour leads me to think they don't actually want the information at all...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    I also love how we're all for pointing to SCIENCE to back our wild claims, right up until you run in to someone who SCIENCES better then you do. Then science becomes biased twattle and personal experience is all that matters.

Yes, or berating someone's advice because of their lack of qualifications, and then on a separate thread slamming a different person who shares the fact that they have very advanced qualifications by saying qualifications don't mean anything.

u mad?

Both of those things have happened within the past week.

physioprof? Please tell me the last time you ran across a real professor who couldn't field questions.

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    CurvyToFit wrote: »

Hi, I was the one who mentioned that people ask the same questions over and over again. I do not answer them. I was just stating that OP shouldn't expect the nicest of responses when the questions have been answered over and over again, usually the answer is on the same page, with the same question in the subject line, the same condescending people answering them. I like new people and expect questions. If you don't want the rude answers be a little more observant when you ask questions because the answer, 99% of the time, is right under your nose - too lazy to look for it. I do agree with everything else you said :)

most "new people" posts with questions get decent answers, even if the question has been asked a million times before. it's hard to find courtesy like that on most forums.

on the other hand, "new people" posts that are full of preaching and/or terrible advice (randomly pulled from a sensational article or some other dubious source) are met with derision and criticism. this keeps the crap out.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

When you make claims, it's your responsibility to provide evidence backing those claims, otherwise we will tear them down with scientific proof stating otherwise.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

6. No Intentionally Hurtful Posts

Topics or posts which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors. At our discretion, any post referring to the behavior or posts of other users of the site will be removed.
This discussion has been closed.