Why can't I find a protein powder that isn't gross?

Options
124»

Replies

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm going to be the outlier - but the answer is because protein powder is gross. It tastes fake. You're not going to get a "protein shake" that tastes like an actual milk shake.
    I don't mind the flavor too much, so if I need extra protein and I really don't feel like going to the trouble of chewing (which happens), I'll have a protein drink and it's fine. You may just need to adjust your expectations and give yourself some time to get used to it.
    But if it's really intolerable, you can add a lot of stuff to it or try different flavors like other people have suggested.
  • jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like Cytosport Whey 100% from Costco. mix w/ water and freeze it a little. It taste like chocolate milk to me.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    MTS Machine Whey Protein Cookies and Cream!
  • dlajambe
    dlajambe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I buy Designer whey gourmet chocolate at target or Walmart. It's fair in price and it tastes like a chocolate shake! If it mix it with frozen bananas and almond mix in the blender it's as good as any ice cream
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I hope its ok to piggyback off of this thread, but there seems to be plenty of protein powder aficionados here :)

So here goes :flushed: Does anyone suffer from gas from their protein powder? I got told to stay away from whey concentrate, and stick to isolate.

Opinions and/ or help appreciated :D
  • SoNicJ78
    SoNicJ78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Musclepharm 100% Protein Isolate if u just want the protein and not the other stuff. Get the vanilla flavour.
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Designer Whey! I like the chocolate and strawberry. Vanilla is good too but I mix that one with greens. I like that brand (I find it at trader joe's and target) because no artificial sweeteners.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    I've been adding Great Lakes gelatin to my smoothies, the "green bottle" (as opposed to the red or orange varieties) won't clump or thicken up like other gelatins. It's nothing but protein.

It's not exactly pure protein. It is made up of the connective tissue of pigs, cows etc. The main reason to consume it IMO is for the amino acid glycine which is not found in the muscle meats...
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use Jarrow Formulas Unflavored Whey Protein Powder. I have a hard time with sweeteners, so unflavored was the best option, but it really blends well. It doesn't taste chalky, and adds a creaminess to my smoothie.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    81ZKZTXiUmL._SX355_.jpg

You probably don't need it though, just eat your protein.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love my vega protein powder. It is vegan although i am not. But it also has 2 servings of greens in every scoop and it is all plant based proteins from whole grains. I love it.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Necro thread alert!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I've only liked any brand mixed with cold coffee and ice.
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I ❤️❤️❤️Pure Protein products. The vanilla powder, mixed with 4-5 strawberries , tastes like a shake.
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Muscletech Phase 8 is really good tasting, but I've only tried the chocolate flavor. Doesn't taste like a protien shake to me at all.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I hope its ok to piggyback off of this thread, but there seems to be plenty of protein powder aficionados here :)

So here goes :flushed: Does anyone suffer from gas from their protein powder? I got told to stay away from whey concentrate, and stick to isolate.

Opinions and/ or help appreciated :D

We use this one. Not gassy at all from it.

http://www.sportyshealth.com.au/Balance-WPI-Protein.html?gclid=CJqCi86RycwCFRUDvAodmbUFSg
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Quest Salted Carmel. I make it with unsweetened soy milk and tons of ice and it's like ice cream. For a drink, a little ice, 1 cup unsweetened soy milk and water.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Every morning, I add 2 tablespoons of collagen to my bulletproof coffee - it dissolves completely and I don't notice any change in flavour at all. It helps me get a protein boost in the morning.

This is the collagen I get from Amazon

I use casein to make protein fluff - I make it up with either berries or cocoa and PB powder. It's a not-too-sweet treat that I indulge in when I have a really heavy weightlifting workout.

This is the casein I buy from Amazon

I'm not crazy about protein shakes - most of them just seem too sweet for me. But I am enjoying these two uses of protein powder where I control whether I make it sweet or not.