Options
124»

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I eat bacon every morning. The calories on the package or not what u end up consuming. Well unless u eat all the fat that drains off. U can usually cut the calories by about half what is listed

Not in the US. Most bacon has nutritional info for "2 slices, pan fried". You can search info from the USDA (or in other countries) that includes the unrendered, raw fat in the numbers, but you won't find it on US packaged bacon.

And, yes, there's nothing wrong with bacon.

Hmm, I guess I need to figure out a way to log the fat since I like to cook veggies in it.

There's an entry in there for it: Pork - Bacon, rendered fat, cooked (bacon drippings)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I am going to learn how to do a bacon lattice, so I can fit more bacon on sandwiches.

In the oven, on a baking rack. If you're using it to wrap something else (like chicken), put it under the broiler for the last minute, and flip it to make sure the bottom cooks.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    In the UK, I've seen US-style bacon referred to as "crispy bacon." Because, cooked properly, the fat crisps up, it's not there flabbing around like the fat on back/Canadian bacon would be.

Nope

It's streaky bacon
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    I like to fry hotdogs in bacon grease.

Growing up my dad would slit hot dogs almost in half, stuff with cheddar cheese, then wrap in strips of bacon and broil or grill. So delicious.
    We learned this "recipe" in Home Ec. class in 7th grade, circa 1985.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Ftanga-images%2Fmqgy7hp73sj3.jpg
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Bacon, egg and cheese on a french toast bagel FTW! I eat that most Saturdays for brunch. :)
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat it at least 5 days per week. Losing steadily.
  • kskinnyperfect
    kskinnyperfect Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use turkey bacon and I like it just as much if not more
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    In the UK, I've seen US-style bacon referred to as "crispy bacon." Because, cooked properly, the fat crisps up, it's not there flabbing around like the fat on back/Canadian bacon would be.

Nope

It's streaky bacon

Interesting. I wonder if it's regional....since my housemates nearly came to fisticuffs over whether what I knew as "French toast" was actually "pain perdu" or "eggy bread." The Northerners were very adamant that the latter was a snobbish SE England affectation.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon pretty much everyday and have had no issues with losing weight or blood work ....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use turkey bacon and I like it just as much if not more

complete blasphemy ....

ETA - comparing bacon to turkey bacon is like comparing talenti to artic zero ...there is no comparison ...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    jobs-hope-cash-bacon.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Nope

It's streaky bacon

Interesting. I wonder if it's regional....since my housemates nearly came to fisticuffs over whether what I knew as "French toast" was actually "pain perdu" or "eggy bread." The Northerners were very adamant that the latter was a snobbish SE England affectation.....

Eggy bread is French toast, never heard of pain perdu ...neither are served with bacon

I'm from the north but have lived in London for 20 odd years
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Nothing like ours either *shakes head* ...back bacon is the only way to go IMO

o85ag5f1l2wf.jpg
    That Bacon looks so nice!
    Might have to go and buy some tomorrow. Lol
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It's wild that some people think that Canadian bacon is better than bacon :-P
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I've seen pictures of American bacon and it looks nothing like ours. It seems yours has a lot more fat on it than here.

Cottage bacon is hard to find but it is a lot less fatty than standard US bacon.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    BaconHeart.jpg