Alternative religions. Anyone follow one?

Options

Replies

• EponaBlue
    EponaBlue Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Would you consider this our conscience?

Sure, you could definitely use that term. But based not on what our belief system tells us is right, but by an innate sense of morality.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I would have to say I'm this too.... but more Agnostic with a Taoist twist. I also have to say that I'm very impressed with this thread... it's civil, open-minded, and I for one learned of a few different belief systems that I had never heard of before... which of course sent me to google, and was very interested in learning more about some of them.

I can't help but wonder tho'... all the friendliness in this thread, when normally talks of religion and beliefs etc turn ugly... perhaps the fact that it is a thread about 'alternative' belief systems and not mainstream religion is the very reason for it's civility and open respect toward all the other posters.
    [/quote]

I had the same thought. Many of these "alternatives" share the concept of doing good for good's sake. Our inner compass points the way.
    [/quote]

I think just as often it comes down to the human practicing said religion, and how they choose to inflict their belief as the only way onto others. I belong to what is considered a "mainstream" religion according to this thread, but none of the churches I've attended in my life taught or preached intolerance . I guess that's why I never left! I was taught to love others, treat them how I would like to be treated. I was also taught that the way into Heaven was not measured by the good deeds I did, but by following Christ and his teachings. ::shrug:: Perhaps I'm just one of the lucky ones who had parents who were able to find a balance between religious beliefs and applying them to the real world. Certainly that doesn't seem to be the case these days, by and large. In any case, despite my faith or beliefs, I've got plenty of respect for what others choose to believe (or not). That's not a religious point of view, just human.

**edited to say crap, I screwed up the quote. Well, anyone following this thread knows what I'm talking about anyhow. :laugh: **
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Sure, you could definitely use that term. But based not on what our belief system tells us is right, but by an innate sense of morality.

What would you consider to be the parameters of our innate morality? Human sacrifice, child brides and incest have all been considered natural and good at times throughout human history.
  • Cajoke123
    Cajoke123 Posts: 54
    Options

And just to try to make sure I understand, do you think some form of deity gave you this conscience or that it just evolved out of evolution?
  • Cajoke123
    Options

What would you consider to be the parameters of our innate morality? Human sacrifice, child brides and incest have all been considered natural and good at times throughout human history.

I think that many people go against their conscience (or innate morality) since sin (dare I use this word?) is appealing by human nature.
  • EponaBlue
    EponaBlue Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    There are no parameters. It is highly personal and individualized just like the beliefs we are discussing. It is what our parents taught us, what our experiences have taught us, how we interact with our world. I think most of us try to do the best we know how to do and hopefully we will feel good about the lives we have lived at the end of each day and at the end of our lives.
    :flowerforyou:
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

I think that many people go against their conscience (or innate morality) since sin (dare I use this word?) is appealing by human nature.

Well if by sin you mean any reprehensible or regrettable act then I would agree that it at least exists. If by sin you mean a transgression against a divine law then I would say the word is meaningless because I don't think that there is an actual divine law to transgress against.

While some actions that could be defined as reprehensible could be appealing to people. Take gluttony for example I do not think it would be accurate to say that "sin" is in general appealing to the nature of humans.

Torture for example is such a horrible thing in my mind that it makes me ill to even see it. I despise slavery and in general I do not find any action that has a victim to be "appealing." If "sin" was appealing to human nature then how is it that I do not find these sins appealing?
  • bauer1971
    bauer1971 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I thought religious posts aren't allowed in the main forums? Reported to save future butthurt.

Really? But we were having such a nice chat with 7 butthurt-free pages.

exactly. leave it be.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Throughout human history each generation believes it has acheived the pinnacle of human intellect and knowledge. However, things that were deemed as science fact become dismissed as we continue to garner information. Science itself is dynamic and if time allow us, we will continue to find new things and change prior theories and conclusions. It was once held that man could not fly. But here we are flying. People believed in sky gods, that come down from the sky but are dismissed. Yet we are doing it ourselve. My faith is based on the model of human achievement. We continue to do what was considered impossible. We don't know it all. However, if we are able to obtain the impossible then given the enormity of this vast universe, is it not possible for something else to obtain the impossible or to be godlike ? I try to keep an open mind. Science is great but inconclusive as we find new facts and make conclusions. Those too will be challenged and change. If we are able and continue to do the once held impossible are we not proof enough that it can happen elsewhere ?
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I have rather strange religious beliefs. I believe we are here on earth to learn lessons our soul needs to learn, whether it be patience, tolerance, etc. Call it re-incarnation or whatever, but I believe we can choose to live more than one life if we want to grow further. I'm Christian, but not. Meaning, I believe in god but I believe the bible is a book of stories written to teach lessons to THAT era's people, not a hard core guide for today's living. I don't believe sitting in church for 1 hour on Sunday means more than HOW YOU ACT the other 167 hours of the week.

I like this. I am Catholic, teach in a Catholic school, AND teach that the bible is a collection of books that include the "myth" genre. It is hard to get my students to understand this concept, but it has to do with the fact that the bible was written by second hand sources. The Catholic church supports this notion, so I am not risking losing my job because of this.

I'm fascinated by other religions. I have a Jewish brother in law, and my brother and his wife practice some Japanese/Christian religion with Buddhist leanings. My one sister is Episcopalian. Two of my brothers and my remaining sister are agnostic. We are a blended family of religious differences, and nobody ever judges one another for this.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    There are no parameters. It is highly personal and individualized just like the beliefs we are discussing. It is what our parents taught us, what our experiences have taught us, how we interact with our world. I think most of us try to do the best we know how to do and hopefully we will feel good about the lives we have lived at the end of each day and at the end of our lives.
    :flowerforyou:

I like this. I am a parent, and I believe that kids should come to their own understanding and be allowed to formulate their own religious beliefs and practices, AS LONG AS their practices and beliefs do not insult or judge other religions, or knowingly cause harm or disrespect to others. I would love them and welcome them into my home regardless of their religious (or, for that matter, sexual preference) affiliations.

It bothers me when parents get upset with their children for expressing interests in or converting to some other faith. My daughter is becoming more and more involved in a Christian faith that is outside the Catholic faith. I'm perfectly accepting of this -- UNLESS she begins to preach at me that Catholicism is "wrong, evil, etc".

I know people who would be horrified and angry if their children converted outside of their Christian faith. Sad.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I grew up in alternative religion. Don't really want to talk about it.

I'm a secular humanist now.
  • Cajoke123
    Options

Well if by sin you mean any reprehensible or regrettable act then I would agree that it at least exists. If by sin you mean a transgression against a divine law then I would say the word is meaningless because I don't think that there is an actual divine law to transgress against.

While some actions that could be defined as reprehensible could be appealing to people. Take gluttony for example I do not think it would be accurate to say that "sin" is in general appealing to the nature of humans.

Torture for example is such a horrible thing in my mind that it makes me ill to even see it. I despise slavery and in general I do not find any action that has a victim to be "appealing." If "sin" was appealing to human nature then how is it that I do not find these sins appealing?

These are really quite interesting questions. I think that sometime our sinful nature over-rides our conscience, and sometimes our conscience wins out. If this were not the case and sinful nature ruled, then there would be no good in the world. Yet, I do think that everyone does have a sinful nature that sometimes does win out. Selfishness and etc. are very common sins.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    <<<Atheistic Modern Satanist

It is possible that you are being sarcastic but if you aren't then I can't understand what you are saying here at all. As I understand it a Satanist is someone who believes in both God and the Devil and simply chooses to worship the Devil. If that is true then it is logically impossible fore you to be an atheist in any sense of the word because if you are an atheist then you don't believe that there is a Devil to be worshiped. Could you explain what you mean?
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am paggan/Wiccan with a twist coming from a christian background.... :wink:
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am an atheist but also practice witchcraft... which many people would consider a religious belief but for me it's more of a lifestyle choice.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

It is possible that you are being sarcastic but if you aren't then I can't understand what you are saying here at all. As I understand it a Satanist is someone who believes in both God and the Devil and simply chooses to worship the Devil. If that is true then it is logically impossible fore you to be an atheist in any sense of the word because if you are an atheist then you don't believe that there is a Devil to be worshiped. Could you explain what you mean?

Funny, I read that as "Atheistic Sadist". Not sure why.
  • soldier4242
    Options

These are really quite interesting questions. I think that sometime our sinful nature over-rides our conscience, and sometimes our conscience wins out. If this were not the case and sinful nature ruled, then there would be no good in the world. Yet, I do think that everyone does have a sinful nature that sometimes does win out. Selfishness and etc. are very common sins.

Since we have established that people are somethings good and sometimes bad why then would we assume that it is our nature to be sinful? It would be the exact same result if we were good by nature and we occasionally transgressed. Essentially our world would look no different. For that matter our world would also seem identical to how it is now if we were all basically blank slates and we became X parts good and Y parts bad based on our life experiences.

We can reasonable conclude is that we are not pure evil or pure good but there isn't any logically justifiable reason to conclude that our nature is one way or the other based on the evidence that has been presented so far.
  • soldier4242
    Options

Funny, I read that as "Atheistic Sadist". Not sure why.

At least that would be possible. You could simply not believe in god or gods and enjoy inflicting pain.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am paggan/Wiccan with a twist coming from a christian background.... :wink:

^ This. First let me say how wonderful this thread is! As someone with out of the box beliefs I usually steer clear of these conversations but I've actually been reading this quite thoroughly.

I consider myself a christo-wiccan which basically means I am a monotheistic wiccan who recognizes the Holy Spirit (and in turn Christ) as my "higher power". My faith is strongly rooted in nature and the spirit that flows within us all. My whole life I felt pulled strongly in both directions until I got to an age where I realized they don't have to be separate. It's about right vs wrong for me, not who is correct.