Alternative religions. Anyone follow one?

Options

Replies

• Cajoke123
    Cajoke123 Posts: 54
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of posts on here of people either thinking that all of the religions are the same, or just following many religions, since they all "hold value". I think this is highly interesting, since many religions contradict each other like Buddhism and Christianity, where Buddhism is much more works based and Christianity is almost purely faith based. This is just one example, but there are many more. I just thought I'd point that out :)
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Secular Humanist. Be a good person and help others because that is the right thing to do. "You don’t need religion to have morals. If you can’t determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion." I don't care what anyone else believes or doesn't believe as long as they don't try to cram that belief or lack thereof down my throat (or anyone else's) or use it as an excuse to harm others in any way or as an excuse to be an *kitten*.
    My older brother recently married and adopted his new wife's religion (some version of Christianity where they don't celebrate holidays and eat a kosher diet). He's been using this religion to denigrate my parents' religion (Catholicism) and tell them that they are celebrating pagan holidays (and what's wrong with that?) and they're wrong and he's right. Not cool.
    I was watching a documentary on a religious summer camp for kids. The adults were telling kids that it's OK to trash the earth because when we ruin this one, God will just give us a new one. Not cool. And it doesn't even make sense. If you spend time making a special gift and you give it to a child and then watch the child ruin it (while telling their friends "it's ok, they'll just give me a new one."), you won't be likely to put the time and effort into making a new gift.
    If someone does something good, I don't care what their reason is.

All of this. And when my mom asks I tell her I'm a heathen.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I believe in a higher spiritual power. I do reiki (Asian form of energy healing), and I meditate quite often. I have recently started rediscovering my meti roots (I'm a bi-product of residential schools) and I was raised Catholic. I am slowly learning how to send and receive love and light, see auras and sense spirits. Sounds flaky I know, and trust me it's a hell of a trip.

It sounds flaky because it's all been thoroughly debunked. But if it's not hurting anyone...

That hurt my feelings...hence the reason why I don't talk about it to anyone but my sister and my fiance, who has crazy intuition but doesn't tell anyone out of fear of persecution.
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an amazing group of people on this thread! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Personally, I follow Buddhist philosophies but am always open to learning about other's beliefs. I feel that, the truly important thing, is being kind to one another and respecting all around us.
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

And the answer is .... 42!

Uhm .....okay ....what is your point here ???????????

the point is that time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

OMG, I choked from laughing :)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    In for Atheism, though I don't consider it to be a religion. But why let details stop me.

:wink:
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I consider myself agnostic. Whatever happens or happened is how things are supposed to be so I just try to live a happy, honest life full of positivity.

I would go with this,

I would have to say I'm this too.... but more Agnostic with a Taoist twist. I also have to say that I'm very impressed with this thread... it's civil, open-minded, and I for one learned of a few different belief systems that I had never heard of before... which of course sent me to google, and was very interested in learning more about some of them.

I can't help but wonder tho'... all the friendliness in this thread, when normally talks of religion and beliefs etc turn ugly... perhaps the fact that it is a thread about 'alternative' belief systems and not mainstream religion is the very reason for it's civility and open respect toward all the other posters.
  • LordMarius
    LordMarius Posts: 28
    Options
    Wow, what an amazing group of people on this thread! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Personally, I follow Buddhist philosophies but am always open to learning about other's beliefs. I feel that, the truly important thing, is being kind to one another and respecting all around us.

^^^ :heart: THIS!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    double post :flowerforyou:
  • Cajoke123
    Options
    I personally describe Atheism as a way of life and a good way of life. I like them because they don't do good things to goto heaven or avoid doing bad things to avoid hell but rather do good things just for the good and avoid bad things to avoid being a douche. That is humanity at its finest folks.

This is another very common misconception I find about Christianity (even among Christians)-- that you have to do good things to go to heaven. If that were true, then I think no one would go to heaven, and why would Jesus have to die on the cross if we could do it on our own? Again, just something to think about.
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I contend we are all atheists... The only difference is that I believe in one less god than many of you.

And while that may sound like I'm being flippant... I really believe if you want to understand how an atheist thinks about gods, then simply try to understand why you don't believe in many of the gods that you don't believe in? That's all it is. "We just believe in one less than you do" (That's all that separates us)

Cheers!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    In before the thread gets locked due to the eventual arguing that will occur between all the different religious groups out there.

So sad that we can't all just be adults about it and agree to disagree.

or learn from each other!! I listen to all sides some I respect and might adopt others I accept and let it pass from me. It's never an argument or judgement from a me if you want to worship a tree or pray 5 times a day then I respect it. Great minds, great philosophers have spoken through religion and contributed to much of ideals today.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I'm very spiritual and follow concepts from christianity and buddhism. I wouldn't call myself specifically either though :)

Pretty much the same. I follow a lot of principles of Christianity, but consider myself pretty open to world religions and spiritualism. Well, that and alien conspiracy theory.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I thought religious posts aren't allowed in the main forums? Reported to save future butthurt.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Everyone is so nice I am thinking we need to break out Kumbaya.
  • EponaBlue
    EponaBlue Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I consider myself agnostic. Whatever happens or happened is how things are supposed to be so I just try to live a happy, honest life full of positivity.

I would go with this,

I would have to say I'm this too.... but more Agnostic with a Taoist twist. I also have to say that I'm very impressed with this thread... it's civil, open-minded, and I for one learned of a few different belief systems that I had never heard of before... which of course sent me to google, and was very interested in learning more about some of them.

I can't help but wonder tho'... all the friendliness in this thread, when normally talks of religion and beliefs etc turn ugly... perhaps the fact that it is a thread about 'alternative' belief systems and not mainstream religion is the very reason for it's civility and open respect toward all the other posters.

I had the same thought. Many of these "alternatives" share the concept of doing good for good's sake. Our inner compass points the way.
  • EponaBlue
    EponaBlue Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I thought religious posts aren't allowed in the main forums? Reported to save future butthurt.

Really? But we were having such a nice chat with 7 butthurt-free pages.
  • Cajoke123
    Options

I would go with this,

I had the same thought. Many of these "alternatives" share the concept of doing good for good's sake. Our inner compass points the way.

Would you consider this our conscience?
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    <<<Atheistic Modern Satanist
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm Unitarian/Universalist, which tends to be an anything-goes kind of congregation - but I do lean a little more Christian than my fellow UU's. I just think that there's so many threads of each world religion that have similarities in them, that it points to there being a higher truth out there, that maybe all of us can sense if we take the time to listen to it. Wow, I sound like a hippie.

Seriously though, I basically just look for those grains of truth in all religions, and take what feels right/good/true to me. I have a connection to my Higher Power, and I'm sticking to it.