Alternative religions. Anyone follow one?

Options

Replies

• bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    to each his own beliefs but when you die you will find out if what you believe is the truth or not. I know what I believe in. Again to each his own.

Live happily, peacefully, and not at the sake of others, and the afterlife should not be of concern.

My standards for life are kindness, empathy, loyalty, karma, and justice. As nature learns to balance out its flaws, so can we, eventually.

I love that ^. I consider myself spiritual.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    6 pages and I'm the first?
    196261.jpg
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I was raised Christian, which is outside mainstream religion if you're talking about most of the world's population.
  • HyacintheAlcuin
    Options
    I believe in god... all the rest are frivolities ---- i think that's an anne rice quote. But it describes my beliefs perfectly. I believe in a higher being but i don't prescribe to any particular religion or faith.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Born and raised American (not Southern) Baptist Christian and happy to be so, but have always been into theology and learning about the beliefs of others, so in to keep reading more of the discussion. :smile:
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    pagan/wiccan thingy, here. mainly focus on egyptian deities, but every so often one from another pantheon attracts my attention.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I go between being earthly religious and thinking that we are all just an alien experiment...like a bunch of lab rats. Maybe they watch us from their base inside the moon. Or has anyone ever looked into the brain in a vat theory...scary ****.

Um, I have thought this many,many times and was so P*ISSED when that stupid Ancient Aliens show came out. That was MY theory damnit!:mad:

LOL, me too .....

And the answer is .... 42!

Uhm .....okay ....what is your point here ???????????

the point is that time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.
  • globetrotter42
    Options
    “I believe in a force that knows to airbrush the eyes of a predator bird onto the wings of a butterfly. I believe in a force that knows to spin an atom at the exact same frequency as the galaxy.” – Harland Williams

PS – ALOUETTE! CHELSEA ALOUETTE!

That was beautiful!
  • Fit_Kenzie
    Fit_Kenzie Posts: 124
    Options
    I believe in a higher spiritual power. I do reiki (Asian form of energy healing), and I meditate quite often. I have recently started rediscovering my meti roots (I'm a bi-product of residential schools) and I was raised Catholic. I am slowly learning how to send and receive love and light, see auras and sense spirits. Sounds flaky I know, and trust me it's a hell of a trip.

It sounds flaky because it's all been thoroughly debunked. But if it's not hurting anyone...

really????
  • EponaBlue
    EponaBlue Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Secular Humanist. Be a good person and help others because that is the right thing to do. "You don’t need religion to have morals. If you can’t determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion." I don't care what anyone else believes or doesn't believe as long as they don't try to cram that belief or lack thereof down my throat (or anyone else's) or use it as an excuse to harm others in any way or as an excuse to be an *kitten*.

Agreed. What a civil discussion thus far! I consider myself a non-hipster agnostic atheist with buddhist tendencies. It is always evolving.
  • vbernier1
    vbernier1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    previously a hare krishna... still recovering. lol
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I believe in a higher spiritual power. I do reiki (Asian form of energy healing), and I meditate quite often. I have recently started rediscovering my meti roots (I'm a bi-product of residential schools) and I was raised Catholic. I am slowly learning how to send and receive love and light, see auras and sense spirits. Sounds flaky I know, and trust me it's a hell of a trip.

Me too!
  • vbernier1
    vbernier1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Secular Humanist. Be a good person and help others because that is the right thing to do. "You don’t need religion to have morals. If you can’t determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion." I don't care what anyone else believes or doesn't believe as long as they don't try to cram that belief or lack thereof down my throat (or anyone else's) or use it as an excuse to harm others in any way or as an excuse to be an *kitten*.

Agreed. What a civil discussion thus far! I consider myself a non-hipster agnostic atheist with buddhist tendencies. It is always evolving.

love it!
  • LordMarius
    LordMarius Posts: 28
    Options

It sounds flaky because it's all been thoroughly debunked. But if it's not hurting anyone...

Not true-my mom is a reikki master and has healed me many times...its been proven by actual medical doctors-why else would insurance start covering it?

Our Coven's Magus is a Reikki Master and I too have been helped by this method of treatment. When used by itself or in conjunction with other treatments, it's really helpful!!
  • ljdborton
    ljdborton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Atheist since birth <3

Not a "hipster atheist" either. I've honestly never even heard of that.

What does that mean, I am just curious?
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Lived in an orthodox Jewish house growing up, with a Jewish father, and a Jewish-Christian/Catholic raised Buddhist mother. Even when I was young, I couldn't get the hang of believing in God. Believing in something I couldn't see, hear, touch, smell, or feel was - and remains - out of my capabilities. That said, I believe that as long as you "treat others as you wish to be treated" I don't see what the big deal is.

BTW, the descriptions on here of "Hipster Atheists" is hilarious and accurate. Thanks to these "Hipster Atheists", I have a coworker who believes there are sects of atheists who actively try to convert people. That's not how it works. I don't believe in God, but if someone else wants to, they're more than welcome to. It's a personal choice, and as long as their beliefs don't hurt anyone else, it's really disrespectful and unnecessary to try to change anyone's beliefs. It bugs the heck out of me when people try to convert me; I'm not going to do that to someone else.
  • super_fast
    super_fast Posts: 63
    Options
    I'll let you know when I die.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Atheist here.

But I have always loved reading about older religions and did dabble in Wicca for a few years. It still appeals to me; but I am far from spiritual and have no belief in god or goddess[es] at all.

I do believe in the high probability that there is alien life out there though!

One of my favorite movie quotes; from 'Contact'.
    Young Ellie: Dad, do you think there's people on other planets?
    Ted Arroway: I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I personally describe Atheism as a way of life and a good way of life. I like them because they don't do good things to goto heaven or avoid doing bad things to avoid hell but rather do good things just for the good and avoid bad things to avoid being a douche. That is humanity at its finest folks.

You just made my morning with this. Much love to you!

This was a great post.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options

love it!

Beautiful! Most people recognize that, "If you can’t determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion." I also think this has been an pleasant conversation. I like it!