Alternative religions. Anyone follow one?

Options

Replies

• spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    to each his own beliefs but when you die you will find out if what you believe is the truth or not. I know what I believe in. Again to each his own.

Live happily, peacefully, and not at the sake of others, and the afterlife should not be of concern.

My standards for life are kindness, empathy, loyalty, karma, and justice. As nature learns to balance out its flaws, so can we, eventually.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    to each his own beliefs but when you die you will find out if what you believe is the truth or not. I know what I believe in. Again to each his own.

Unless, when you die you are just dead and you don't find out anything.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Jehovah's Witness here... which depending on who you are, is very far out or very mainstream. lol
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. A common discussion I have with my friends. My one friend is atheist but believes in "Mother Nature". Everything is alive and interconnected, the plants, animals, rock earth and universe. Due to these dependancies, what we call being alive could not exist. Thought this an interesting view, sort of like an ecological faith if I may be so bold.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    OP, by mainstream, do you just mean Christianity, or are you including other world-wide major religious beliefs such as Islam, Buddhism, and Judaism?
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm a Christian, and I've been one all my life - but I will admit that there are elements of both Buddhism and some of the "New Thought" groups like the Unity Church* that appeal to me.

When I'm feeling ornery, I make plans to write my own holy book, or start a schism sect split off from Discordians for Jesus. :-)

*I'm unsure of the etiquette on the MFP boards regarding linking to external sites, so I'll just encourage you to hit up Google for more info on the Unity Church and Discordianism. Which, by the way, are not related to each other, except by proximity in this message. :-)

Hail Eris! (though, I am a member of the Cult of Bill the Cat)

Reason is my religion, of which I have little. But I try. I have great respect all those who live their faiths, whatever they may be. I just try to live my life the best way that I know how and be the best person to others that I can. If I believe in any spiritual thing at all, it's karma - only because it's the one tangible I can see throughout my existence.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I'm a Christian, and I've been one all my life - but I will admit that there are elements of both Buddhism and some of the "New Thought" groups like the Unity Church* that appeal to me.

When I'm feeling ornery, I make plans to write my own holy book, or start a schism sect split off from Discordians for Jesus. :-)

*I'm unsure of the etiquette on the MFP boards regarding linking to external sites, so I'll just encourage you to hit up Google for more info on the Unity Church and Discordianism. Which, by the way, are not related to each other, except by proximity in this message. :-)

Hail Eris! (though, I am a member of the Cult of Bill the Cat)

Reason is my religion, of which I have little. But I try. I have great respect all those who live their faiths, whatever they may be. I just try to live my life the best way that I know how and be the best person to others that I can. If I believe in any spiritual thing at all, it's karma - only because it's the one tangible I can see throughout my existence.

Isn't Eris the goddess of discord? Couldn't you guys find a nicer myth to worship?!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Hopefully people will be respectful. No, my God is better than your God. ;)

I'd be more worried about the hipster Atheist crowd who are in it for the fad and really don't know jack about Atheism or anything but just wanna sound cool. They're the ones that usually gets these ugly. FAST!

I haven't read any posts after this yet, but how is atheism a part of 'hipster' culture?? I'm so confused. Atheism is NOT the 'cool' outlook...well, at least not here in the Bible Belt.

I'm an agnostic atheist. Yes, the two are separate terms and they do coincide.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I have not really labeled myself, but if I had to say what I was it would most likely be a mix of Wiccan and American Indian Spirituality. I believe in the Earth. I believe in the energy of our being, which has the power to shape our reality.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Im a Jedi.
    THIS. My Jedi name is BAHJO PEFAI.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    not a christian, but i love everything the christ said and try to follow it.

not a buddhist, but i try to liberate my mind.

not a taoist, but i try to operate under principles of balance and flow.

not a witch (anymore), but i understand personal power and what "magic(k)" is.

not a jedi, but i wish i was.

flying spaghetti monster is cool.

studied a lot of different stuff. tried to find a satifying system. failed--now i just do my own thing. it's like building your own pizza: nobody makes one that has all the stuff on it that i like and none of the stuff i don't like, so i do it all myself. don't like it? good. i don't have to share.
  • trollsb
    trollsb Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a pastafarian.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I'm a pastafarian.

All hail His Noodly Appendage. <3
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    not a christian, but i love everything the christ said and try to follow it.

So, if you were busy and your mother and brothers came to speak with you, you would tell them to buzz off?
  • butterflyluv1218
    Options
    Wiccan here! :)
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm a Frisbetarian. ;)
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Pagan/Wiccan/Witch
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm a pastafarian.

:D Yah mon, for da rasta pasta! \o/ Missing Chef Rah!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Agnostic.