How do you know when it's time for first bulk?

Options

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    ^^^ That's awesome! You're totally ripped now too. way to go!
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    For me I think aesthetics helps with the vanity. My main fear is that if I start bulking now I'll hit 20% and look like a meatball and have to do another long cut. I've been cutting for 4 months now and have the momentum and will power to keep it up for another 2 or more, but only if it will pay off in the long run.

If you bulked at 0.5lb/ week you'd need to get to 183lbs to be at 20% BF. I guess after both of their responses I can definitely see the benefits of doing a recomp until Summer's end.

I was actually going to also suggest that if he wanted, recomp into bulk.

I typed out my long response over 20 minutes as I did some other stuff here so I didn't see the last 4 or 5 posts on page questions until now

No worries.....it's good to have a product conversation in these forums. As soon as you venture outside of "Gaining Weight" ALL BETS ARE OFF!!!!

OP - did you cut 30 lbs of weight in 16 weeks? Something I had to get out of my head was the added fat gain. Bulking should be a controlled weight increase i.e. 250 - 500 cals/week. When following these proven guidelines it's harder to gain weight than one thinks. It's such a mental game all of it!

I wish I could build up my self confidence to post before/after/current progress photos. Mad props to you for doing so!

I wish I did this myself as well. Self confidence was zero when I started this.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    For me I think aesthetics helps with the vanity. My main fear is that if I start bulking now I'll hit 20% and look like a meatball and have to do another long cut. I've been cutting for 4 months now and have the momentum and will power to keep it up for another 2 or more, but only if it will pay off in the long run.

If you bulked at 0.5lb/ week you'd need to get to 183lbs to be at 20% BF. I guess after both of their responses I can definitely see the benefits of doing a recomp until Summer's end.

I typed out my long response over 20 minutes as I did some other stuff here so I didn't see the last 4 or 5 posts on page questions until now

No worries.....it's good to have a product conversation in these forums. As soon as you venture outside of "Gaining Weight" ALL BETS ARE OFF!!!!

OP - did you cut 30 lbs of weight in 16 weeks? Something I had to get out of my head was the added fat gain. Bulking should be a controlled weight increase i.e. 250 - 500 cals/week. When following these proven guidelines it's harder to gain weight than one thinks. It's such a mental game all of it!

I wish I could build up my self confidence to post before/after/current progress photos. Mad props to you for doing so!

And here I thought that maybe you popped in to give advice.

This is one of the very rare occasions in which you have actually given good advice to someone. Keep it up. Always better to be nice to someone instead of being mean spirited to them.
  • brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love this thread - its so filled with great, collective advice and level-headed discussion. I get so freakin' sick of the arguing and bashing and ego crap on some threads. Thanks for your post, OP - and to the contributors for the great replies. I'm a noob to all this and I've learned a lot. Gonna bookmark and hope you follow up with your continuing progress, OP.
  • brentopia
    Options
    Ugh... maybe I spoke too soon ... please don't turn this into the usual crap thread for the OP's sake.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    ^^ lol, I think I got what I wanted out of the thread already. So if it goes to crap, than that's just the fate of it, and most other threads. But I think the advice has been fantastic and helpful so far.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    ^^ lol, I think I got what I wanted out of the thread already. So if it goes to crap, than that's just the fate of it, and most other threads. But I think the advice has been fantastic and helpful so far.

You're not done with this thread until we sa you are!!! :wink: I want to see more progress photos when you move to recomp or bulk status. You've clearly shown your dedication to change your body!!! Again kudos to you sir!!!

• galgenstrick
    Options

You're not done with this thread until we sa you are!!! :wink: I want to see more progress photos when you move to recomp or bulk status. You've clearly shown your dedication to change your body!!! Again kudos to you sir!!!

For sure. I'll keep it updated with more photos. I've been taking them once a month for fun.
  • brentopia
    Options
    Great! I look forward to your progress and pics. Best to you in your journey. ^_^
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

And here I thought that maybe you popped in to give advice.

This is one of the very rare occasions in which you have actually given good advice to someone. Keep it up. Always better to be nice to someone instead of being mean spirited to them.

there is always one...
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Squat: 100
    Bench: 120
    Row: 95
    OH press: 60
    Deadlift: 175

Based on his lift totals he's a novice and definitely in a newbie catergory. We may have different definitions of "newbie" gains. He's got a lot of strength gains to be had even at maintenance calories.....

No way could those be the extent of his newb gains. Plenty more in the tank I'm sure
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    So I'm curious: how much does training age impact the recommendation to bulk vs. recomp? Of course it's only one factor among many, but how does it factor in?
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    So I'm curious: how much does training age impact the recommendation to bulk vs. recomp? Of course it's only one factor among many, but how does it factor in?

What do you mean by training age? How long you have been training? or How old you are?
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    Squat: 100
    Bench: 120
    Row: 95
    OH press: 60
    Deadlift: 175

Based on his lift totals he's a novice and definitely in a newbie catergory. We may have different definitions of "newbie" gains. He's got a lot of strength gains to be had even at maintenance calories.....

No way could those be the extent of his newb gains. Plenty more in the tank I'm sure

Are newbie gains determined by how long you've been training properly whether in a deficit or a surplus? or are they determined by how far away you are from your genetic potential?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

What do you mean by training age? How long you have been training? or How old you are?
    How long you've been training. I'm legitimately curious, because I've heard different responses.

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Both play a factor.

Training age - I like to think of it as the "law of diminishing returns." Your body adapts and gets accustomed to the added stressors (training volume) on the body. You will need to continue to increase volume over time in order to increase muscle mass. (Progressive overload) You can manipulate volume in a multitude of ways.

Age of trainee - It's a proven fact that younger men (19-29) have much higher levels of testosterone and for some reason at age 30 it begins to decline. You can still gain muscle mass well into your 40s - 50s but your recovery time is extended and getting the volume needed maybe more of a struggle. (I can only speak for males on this as I don't have the same tools as females.....)

Those are both quick 101 answers....

• galgenstrick
    Options

Both play a factor.

Training age - I like to think of it as the "law of diminishing returns." Your body adapts and gets accustomed to the added stressors (training volume) on the body. You will need to continue to increase volume over time in order to increase muscle mass. (Progressive overload) You can manipulate volume in a multitude of ways.

Age of trainee - It's a proven fact that younger men (19-29) have much higher levels of testosterone and for some reason at age 30 it begins to decline. You can still gain muscle mass well into your 40s - 50s but your recovery time is extended and getting the volume needed maybe more of a struggle. (I can only speak for males on this as I don't have the same tools as females.....)

Those are both quick 101 answers....

I thought the decrease in T was primarily due to a decrease in muscle mass in older, untrained individuals. Or is there another component of ageing that decreases it?