Women! don't be afraid of the "guys" free weight part of the gym

Options
To often I find myself the only women in the free weights section of the gym at many different gyms! Don't let guys make you feel ashamed or that you cant! Many guys might stair at you but don't let that stop you! Keep your head up and focus on your workout that your doing! Lifting is for women too and you won't become to manly if that's what your thinking (:

Replies

• Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I go to a women only gym aha. Don't have to feel intimidated.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I welcome all women onto the lifting floor. I would rather see a woman who is serious then a man who is just going through the motions.
  • Katiesue806
    Katiesue806 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You really need to not look at anyone around you and not care what other people think! I have a women's room at my gym and that's were they all hide. But no matter what size you are were all there for the same reason and that's to get in shape!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    I usually gym at college, but thank god we have volleyball chicks that actually lift lol but I dont stare and neither do other bros. I dont know where you guys get this creepy stares from guys yll complaint about? but in gym its straight business and ear phones with flo rida and yea muscular chicks are hot

Okay, since you mention college I'm going to assume you are young. Your word usage is quite, um, interesting? Do you speak this way in real life? Or is that just your "persona" here? Not being snarky. I just find it curious.

One of the gyms I go to regularly has annoying guys in the weight room who are there solely to look at the women and try to talk to you. Needless to say, I only go to that gym for the pool and sauna. The other gym I go to is super nice, very upscale, and no creepy guys there. That's where I lift and do cardio.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    tomsarno wrote: »
    I welcome all women onto the lifting floor. I would rather see a woman who is serious then a man who is just going through the motions.

Thank you - that's the way it should be.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We must go to different types of gyms. I lift, and I see other women lifting as well.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I usually gym at college, but thank god we have volleyball chicks that actually lift lol but I dont stare and neither do other bros. I dont know where you guys get this creepy stares from guys yll complaint about? but in gym its straight business and ear phones with flo rida and yea muscular chicks are hot

Yeah okay, you have no idea what you're talking about. You don't see it, don't experience it, so you assume it isn't real. Glad it's so sunny on your side of the fence.

You sure you don't stare at your "volleyball chicks"?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    We must go to different types of gyms. I lift, and I see other women lifting as well.

Same here. I've rarely been the only female.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    tomsarno wrote: »

That’s a really nice thing to say :smile:

No lie, I was intimidated by the lifting room at my gym. Especially as it’s a college gym, packed with young dudes. Nowadays though, as I found my lifting stride, I’m a lot more comfortable. Getting confident with my lifts has helped a lot in that regard. I recently conquered power cleans and it felt amazing. I encourage everyone to get onto a progressive lifting program, it’s great fun and so good for your body.

Edit: As for people offering advice/conversation/whatever, I haven’t had that problem at all. The few people I chatted with were really nice. Besides, I’m too focused on my lifts to notice what anyone else is doing, nor do I really care.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I stopped going to the free weights section because some guy got really friggin confrontational after he asked me why I looked so serious and I said "it's because I'm here to work.", he loudly went off on me in front of everyone there telling me I shouldn't give "attitude" to people trying to "help" (he had offered no such help aside from interrupting me to tell me to smile), and I just kept doing my thing until I was done and he'd gone, but it put me off the idea of going back there. {edit: what really set him off is because as I was responding he was trying to like, grab my shoulder or arm or something so I could look at him and I jerked away, he seemed very appalled by that}

Note, if it had been just one time that some guy stopped me mid-set to either try to flirt with me (not the time, fellas), ask me why I look so serious (why are they asking this?), or just stared in a way that makes me really uncomfortable, I'd let it go and just keep going back, but this was simply the last straw. It just isn't worth the hassle.
  • Katiesue806
    Options

Yeah I agree they are hot lol but that's a great gym then because everywhere I go even my college gym they stair like they never seen a girl workout before and I go hard. But same for me ear phones in world out! I also use to work at the juice bar at my gym for over a year so everyoneeee knows me witch kinda sucks because I'm really just trying to get my workout done.
  • Katiesue806
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm also not saying no women are never in the "guys section", just not as much as their should be! I know women will lift but many more women would be there as well if they didn't feel a certain way! I personally know a lot of girls who will do cardio and abs and that's it when weight training should be a big part of your workout
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    I have a gym that I workout by myself at early in the morning. That way, nobody has to worry about possibly someone looking at them with admiration. Plus, I hate people. It's a win/win scenario.

Sounds like a perfect situation to me! Plus, there is a big difference when someone looks at you because they admire what you are doing and those who have different motives. Most times I can tell the difference.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    a) if people are staring... it's often in the head of the person who is being stared at. i.e. it's not really happening
    b) people do observe others around them, and sometimes that's not bad if someone needs help

c) I lift weights in my basement. Mostly due to convenience and cost, but also largely due to MY OWN insecurities, and not how anyone else would treat me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I have a gym that I workout by myself at early in the morning. That way, nobody has to worry about possibly someone looking at them with admiration. Plus, I hate people. It's a win/win scenario.

We most go to the same gym. ;)

I'm not intimidated by men or women in the free weights. I'm anxious about screwing up, so I just do what I know I can do and am comfy doing.
This discussion has been closed.