Question for the ladies!

Options

Replies

• ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    OP, I apologize for all of the people giving mean responses in here. I think sometimes we all forget that we all started with a lot of questions. You should be ok to exercise that time of month, maybe take it easy until you know how your body will react. Let me suggest some videos to try for some gentle toning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew (I don't recommend wearing these pants, though!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk

Welcome to MFP and good luck on your journey!
  • BeLikeBarbi
    Options
    OP, I apologize for all of the people giving mean responses in here. I think sometimes we all forget that we all started with a lot of questions. You should be ok to exercise that time of month, maybe take it easy until you know how your body will react. Let me suggest some videos to try for some gentle toning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew (I don't recommend wearing these pants, though!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk

Welcome to MFP and good luck on your journey!

Thanks so much! And I am not bothered by the mean comments, they are probably just having a bad day. Maybe it's their time of the month LOL
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    My Gyno encourages plenty of exercise even on heavy flow days. I have horrible cramps and backache and that is what she told me to do to help ease the pain. It has helped so much and it seems when I stick to my workouts through my period they are shorter than when I used to just laze around on the couch with a heating pad.

She also mentioned trying to get a little extra iron and taking B-vitamins for PMS and fatigue. It really helps me to feel less tired and get going.

Awe, "Have a Happy Period" ladies.:wink:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I retain water on my period and retain water after I exercise so I just skip exercise during TOM so I don't drown :/
  • pyronymph1
    pyronymph1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do what I can during my period. I get really symptomatic and at times have trouble even getting out of bed - so exercising is out of the question for about the first 3 days. It does help with the cramps - but it's finding the energy to do it that I struggle with. However, I have found that if I am exercising regularly the rest of the month, that week isn't as bad for me (still not normal, but not as bad as it could be).

No pads here! I hate the feeling of sitting in a sloshy diaper. I use a cup. divacup.com *angels singing*
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I abandoned pads in highschool and never looked back! I personally don't experience any problems (aside from motivation!) when exercising during my period. I'd recommend tampons... I think you could experience a lack of coverage, bunching, and just plain old discomfort with pads, no?

:)

Edit: yes, it does help lessen cramps in my experience also!

Exactly!!!:bigsmile:
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I always exercise during the Red Plague of Death. It actually helps with the cramps. :)
  • angie_sample
    angie_sample Posts: 190
    Options
    I exercise during my period all the time. It really helps my cramps and it has lighten my period. As far as protection i use menstrual cups.. BEST. INVENTION. EVER. Tampons always gave such horrible cramps and i could always feel them and pads gave me rashes. Menstrual cups are easy to use, comfortable, and u never smell like period.
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    Tampons, girl. Tampons.

I work out on my period all the time. I find it helps with my cramps!
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I know you already got lots of comments - but my gyno said it's perfectly safe to work out during that time and will help with cramps and bloated feeling too :-)
    Listen to your body cutie - I know for me, my back/hips/legs really ache during my time, so I stick with an easier routine - like walking or something :-)
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You can work out through all of your period even the heavy flow. I was in the military for four years, I didn't get to go up to the DS and tell them 'sorry can't do that obstacle course today I'm on my period' and I never got hurt. I'm not sure how you'd even sustain an injury just because you're on your period...any injury you get while on your period is an injury you could have gotten in every day life.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I always do, even if I am cramping, I find it actually helps. I get less bloated and actually have less cramping =) But the cravings still happen :laugh: :noway:
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I workout sometimes during my period. If I don't workout it's because I am having exceptionally heavy flow or feeling burned out enough to not be able to function. Otherwise, I've found that lifting weights helps immensely with the moodiness, bloating and cramps.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I exercise through it.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I keep up the cardio, but I will often skip my weight session during TOM. For some reason as I lift, I feel like I'm pushing (like when having a baby), and I always feel like I have to run to the bathroom.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Yes. Even on heavy flow days. Plug that joint up with a tampon.
  • lilbrowngirlsj
    lilbrowngirlsj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi! I find that exercising helps my cramps (which are pretty brutal, at times). I use the Playtex sport tampons. They are comfy and work really well. On those days where I feel really dehydrated, I drink Gatorade (but only during that time since I don't like it and prefer water) to replace electrolytes.
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I know when I exercise during my cycle I have less to zero cramps and my flow is lighter and not as long. Don't let PMS keep you from achieving your goal! ;)
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Unless you experience debilitating cramps, being on your period is NO reason to skip exercise (and it can, in fact, help relieve cramps). I've run, biked, swum, done a triathlon, danced, kickboxed, weight lifted (including power lifting), done HIIT and other plyometric workouts all during TTOM. I have NEVER had an issue, outside of sometimes having slightly less energy than normal. So just do your normal, regular, everyday workouts....and if you need to take it down a notch energy-wise, do so. :)
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Exercise is fine. Just don't try to put up preserves or bake bread. And stay away from the cow or her milk will go sour.