9 Most Addictive Foods

Options

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I don't think the study is very accurate with the self reporting. The article said
    A recent study from the University of Michigan asked people assess their food habits using the Yale Food Addiction Scale, according to Grandparents.com. Participants scored foods between 1 and 7 based on resistability (1 being the easiest to resist, 7 being the most difficult.)

Were there any other foods on the list other than "junk" (I hate that term) food?

Self reporting isn't always bad depending on what you're trying to research. The main problem with this study from the limited information I have about it is it's already starting with a conclusion. It's asking what you feel is the most addictive. So you have already made the assumption that foods are addictive so you have already drawn a conclusion before you even start. I would be interested to see the study to see what they were actually trying to achieve rather than read 3rd hand reporting
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I don't think the study is very accurate with the self reporting. The article said
    A recent study from the University of Michigan asked people assess their food habits using the Yale Food Addiction Scale, according to Grandparents.com. Participants scored foods between 1 and 7 based on resistability (1 being the easiest to resist, 7 being the most difficult.)

Were there any other foods on the list other than "junk" (I hate that term) food?

Self reporting isn't always bad depending on what you're trying to research. The main problem with this study from the limited information I have about it is it's already starting with a conclusion. It's asking what you feel is the most addictive. So you have already made the assumption that foods are addictive so you have already drawn a conclusion before you even start. I would be interested to see the study to see what they were actually trying to achieve rather than read 3rd hand reporting

I tried looking for the actual study but I couldn't find it. (Could be blocks on the work internet.) I'm with you on wanting to read the actual study. I'm very curious to see what the selections of food were for people to choose from.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Dont believe in being addicted to food. More in no willpower or leak of self control.

For the food list? i think that is different for everybody what they like so much that they can eat it like a pig.

For me crisps, Dutch smoked ael, and avocado's

Agree with the bolded.

Not addicted to the stuff, but I can eat entire jars of PB and nutella without thinking twice. And ice cream. But I don't go through withdrawals when I don't have that stuff, rather I just enjoy the heck out of it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As others have said, "addictive" seems like something of a stretch, but there are some foods that I have a harder time with limiting myself to just one serving than others. Of the things on the list, I would go with potato chips and cake. The others...not so much. And I actually have more of a problem with bread and pie than the stuff on the list. And oddly enough, lettuce, but I doubt that one has a chance of making it to the list.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I just hate the term "addictive" when it comes to food stuffs.

I have a great deal of difficulty exercising self control with potato chips and tortilla chips with salsa. Those things are my cryptonite. I'm not addicted to them though...they're just so damned good I don't want to stop eating them. I might be addicted to the salsa burn though...I love it when flames are practically shooting out of my nostrils.

This. I don't believe in food addiction. I choose to put food in my mouth. If I choose too much (which I physically cannot do; just the thought of over eating makes me queasy) then that is my own fault. Blaming an addiction is avoiding accountability and self-discipline.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I disagree. People choose to eat these foods out of control.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Grapes
    Watermelon
    Smuckers uncrustable sandwiches
    all the cheese
    Ben and Jerrys "everything but the..." flavor
    my homemade three meat, cheese covered baked spaghetti
    tequila
    :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    jos05 wrote: »
    Hmmm... I think cake should be higher up...and probably sodas too. I'm currently addicted to S'mores Oreo's...they are amazing :)

Good to know, I'll pick some up. I saw them on a center display at the grocery store but I already had Reese's Oreos in my cart. Those are good too. I was looking for the limited time red velvet cake Oreo's though..those were heaven. *grumble* Next Valentine's I'm stocking up.

Target still has the Red Velvet ones.
    Picked up the Reese's and S'mores ones myself last night.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    lol "study" they mean internet survey
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm compiling my next grocery list from this thread. :smile:
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I think Nutella should be added to that list. I can't get within 5ft of a jar without eating the whole thing.

Anyway, I don't believe ANY food is addictive. People chose what they eat and to succumb to cravings. Your body isn't going to shrivel up if you don't get Pizza now...
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    fresh baked bread
    chocolate smorrebrod
    going to the bulk barn and buying all the candy then eating it
    trail mix
    dill pickle popcorn
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Doughnuts should be on that list! ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think Nutella should be added to that list. I can't get within 5ft of a jar without eating the whole thing.

Anyway, I don't believe ANY food is addictive. People chose what they eat and to succumb to cravings. Your body isn't going to shrivel up if you don't get Pizza now...

I had Nutella for the first time last month *hangs head* on a Tim's donut...I could see how it could get bad if I let myself indulge...soooo goooood.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    No wonder Dairy Queen's ice cream pizzas are so addictive.. They are 5/9 of those things!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows the most addictive food is sunflower seeds.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    No whiskey? *kitten*!

Coffee. They missed coffee. There's black coffee, lattes, mochas, espresso, coffee enemas...
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    One doctor offered these tips to help stop your food addiction.
    Ask yourself, "If I eat this, will I feel loss of control?"
    "If I eat this, will I feel shame, blame or guilt?"

Strange how the only important question was left out: Does this fit into my calorie budget?