WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Just a quick post to let y'all know that I will be having surgery on June 26 to repair a tear in my rotator cuff and, more than likely, to repair my bicep which has been affected by the torn rotator cuff. In some ways, I feel so defeated to have yet another surgery and, in other ways, I am relieved that it's finally going to get fixed. This is one of those times when I question whether or not the struggle to lose weight and keep it off is worth it when my body is just going to fall apart anyway--and potentially is falling apart because I've done something in the effort to make my body stronger. I'll get over my pity party at some point, I'm sure.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Carol in NC

I think you can take a moment in the party, just don't sit down and stay :) I completely understand what you mean tho. When I was going to have the bariatric surgery I kept asking the surgeon and the psychiatrist and the nutritionist am I too old? Of course they all said no, but I went thru some days post-op wondering. Will send up a prayer that all goes well and that you get rid of the pain and can be glad its better. Hang in there.

Reminds me of something my mama used to say: "It's okay to take a lap or two in the pity pond. Just don't set up a tent on the shore." smiley-sport038.gif
  • lonemaple
    lonemaple Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi Carol,

Wise decision to have surgery. I hope all goes well and you recover quickly! Gby.

Sondre, SF, PA
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Jules - I like that :)

Well one more day at the pool working hard. I'm really beginning to be able to feel a difference in my muscle tone. My DH told me how proud he is of me for getting up and going each day. He's always so supportive, although he did bring home a small apple pie yesterday. I'm just not giving it even a quick glance. He says have just a small slice. He just doesn't get it, one bite and I'm done for. I could sit down with a fork and devour it in one sitting, although I'd probably be sick :/
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Poopy/Pip...so glad you weren't caught up in that accident.
    Carol...if you can't have a pity party with us, we aren't doing our job. Whine all you want but please know that you will get better and there is an end in sight. It really isn't fair when you get injured trying to become fit, but don't let it discourage you.

Thanks to all of you encouraging me on my quest to run. I will picture you, my personal cheerleaders with Pom-poms in hand, cheering me on. I picture an emoticon here.

Chris in MA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options

He's always so supportive, although he did bring home a small apple pie yesterday. I'm just not giving it even a quick glance. He says have just a small slice. He just doesn't get it, one bite and I'm done for. I could sit down with a fork and devour it in one sitting, although I'd probably be sick :/

:) Janet, I agree with you....I tell people that I know how to eat no cookies and I know how to eat the whole package but I don't know to eat just one. I have learned to say "no thank you" to all the stuff that is offered to me.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Carol in NC - every pound you have lost made your recovery faster, every movement you made, every exercise done means you'll snap back just that much more quickly. Hard to see from there, and you're getting much better advice than I could ever give from all sides... vent as much as you need, we'll be here.

Pip - glad you weren't full speed ahead for once!

Chris in MA - rock on wit yo bad seff...
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    went to the Kidney Dr, she was alarmed my calcium was elevated from 5 months ago,I dont take calcium supplements, and its not from food.. . I have to go for bloodwork again and a urine test.. had my DSIL look at the paperwork and they are checking for secondary hyperparathyroidism so this will be a bump in the road, DH will have a cow as it will cost more money out of pocket and if I have to go see an endocrinologist, even worse. so we shall see..spoke with the contractor and he , will be here in the morning to start the work :# , had other plans, but will do what I can
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Carol in NC, best of luck on the surgery! Do not stay discouraged for too long.
    Why on the day I am up a pound does the next door neighbor hand my DH two ice cream sandwiches? They are staying in the freezer!!!
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    SlenderClassyElegant Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This seems like a super thread. I'm Jen. Please friend me (waaaahhhh, I have no friends...... :'(:'(:'( ) I'm really nice, I promise.

Love so many of your posts.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »

He's always so supportive, although he did bring home a small apple pie yesterday. I'm just not giving it even a quick glance. He says have just a small slice. He just doesn't get it, one bite and I'm done for. I could sit down with a fork and devour it in one sitting, although I'd probably be sick :/

:) Janet, I agree with you....I tell people that I know how to eat no cookies and I know how to eat the whole package but I don't know to eat just one. I have learned to say "no thank you" to all the stuff that is offered to me.

Barbie, that's a good one. Will be my response in the future. Thank you.
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    Options
    "although he did bring home a small apple pie yesterday. I'm just not giving it even a quick glance. He says have just a small slice. He just doesn't get it, one bite and I'm done for. I could sit down with a fork and devour it in one sitting, although I'd probably be sick :/
    [/quote]

This is exactly how I feel. ;)
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Sassy - What a beautiful city you live in! That water is so blue, I just want to dive in.

GRITS - I can only imagine the ordeal your nephew and his family are going through, but it sounds like he has a great support system.

Lenora - My mom was small breasted - she always said she took after her dad in that department! I took after somebody else, I guess, and I don't mind the lack of perkiness but I'm looking forward to a little less overhang in the bra.

Carol - So sorry about the surgical setback. You're allowed to have a pity party now and then! No matter how hard you work to combat it, entropy will take its toll. Guess we just have to hope our efforts will slow it down.

Since we've passed the halfway mark for June, thought I'd touch base with my goals:

1. Track on MFP every day. I've missed a few, but I'm on an 11 day streak at the moment.
    2. Get in some kind of exercise at least five days per week, even if it's just a DailyBurn program or walking a few blocks with the dog. I'm on track with this.
    3. Be good to myself, say no to new obligations, and enjoy some free time now that I've got it. This one's hard for me but I'm working on it and saying no a lot, to social engagements as well as volunteer obligations. Right now I really just need a few weeks when I'm not committed to doing anything.

-Yvonne
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    Options

barbiecat wrote: »

I agree; I'm in the same predicament.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    csofled wrote: »
    Cheri wrote: We are amazing women aren't we!
    That resonated with me. I was just thinking about all the wisdom and experience and generosity I've seen on this site. It made me wonder what I've ever done to deserve to stumble over such a wonderful bunch of women. :flowerforyou:
    SSC1958 wrote: »
    Carey in Edmonton wrote: Well today I celebrate 1 year smoke-free. I still find it difficult at times and lately have had a lot of cravings especially under stress. After 40 years of smoking it is no wonder I miss it. I think I'll go and have that pedicure today.
    Bravo! A pedicure is a perfect anniversary gift for a one-year non-smoker.

And Renny, thanks for the line about "someday" not being an actual day. Memorable and so true!

So I went out and worked in the garden, did some laundry, refilled all the birdfeeders, cut the tall grass in the driveway... It all took much longer than I intended and now it's so late I may or may not get my jogging in today. Of course it won't get dark or anything, so there's still hope.

When I was hanging the laundry to dry (outdoors for the sake of the fresh-air scent) I heard thunder out of a clear blue sky. This time of year that always signals there's been an avalanche somewhere up the mountain. I almost never see them because by the time the sound reaches me, the snow has usually stopped sliding.

Somebody wants pictures, so here's the mountainside. Picture from yesterday, when the sky wasn't clear and blue. The little white spot halfway up the trunk of the birch just left of center is a nesting seagull. We do what we can not to disturb them. I'm so happy we share this planet with other species!

/Penny at the Pole

o3dbg2u0sfrm.jpg

Penny love the picture. We are blessed to have so many other species to share our world. I am also so thankful for spell check when typing to an editor. ;)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Sending hugs because I think you need them. You are an amazing and courageous woman. Your writing is personal and necessary for you, it seems. Write your personal story and then decide who gets to read it. :flowerforyou:

Sassy: Steyr, Austria is beautiful! :heart: I look forward to additional pictures as time goes along. :flowerforyou:

Carol: Sending hugs and support your way. Sometimes surgery is the best possible choice. You’ll handle this just as we all do, one day at a time. :heart:

Advice wanted! I think I told you that our next-door neighbor’s home was for sale, and friends of ours wanted to buy. Another party offered hours before they did and that offer was accepted. I’ve heard from them again that they’d really like to live here. So I’m wondering whether to let people whose homes are not actually for sale know there is an interested person who’d like to buy. Is there a good way to do this? There are five homes with this floor plan and river views in addition to ours. Would you tell everyone about the potential buyers or wait and see?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    Options

Katla49 wrote: »
    Log every bite and swallow.

Katla: These are great goals. Why might you specifically mention "swallow"? Is it because we are mindfully enjoying each bite-- or taking it slower, or what...? :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    total stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.26min, 15.3amph, 2.9mi = 99c
    spin- 40min, 82ar, 88aw, 9-14g, 10.3mi = 284c
    ride gym 2 wk- 51.53min, 13.1amph, 11.3mi = 471c
    ride wk 2 eye doc, windy- 1hr 5min 45sec, 11.9amph, 13mi = 594c
    ride eye doc 2 tan- 11.06min, 11.5amph, 2.1mi = 96c
    ride tan 2 costco 2 hm, hvy bg- 8.46min, 8.5amph, 1.2mi = 164c
    total cal 1708
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Slowing down on how you chose to eat something helps savor the taste. They (whoever 'they' are) say that you should put down your fork and spoon while chewing. Putting your food on a salad plate instead of a dinner plate also has some bearing.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    Jules - I like that :)

Well one more day at the pool working hard. I'm really beginning to be able to feel a difference in my muscle tone. My DH told me how proud he is of me for getting up and going each day. He's always so supportive, although he did bring home a small apple pie yesterday. I'm just not giving it even a quick glance. He says have just a small slice. He just doesn't get it, one bite and I'm done for. I could sit down with a fork and devour it in one sitting, although I'd probably be sick :/

you can lovingly thank him for it, he'll get it since he's supportive. it's like giving you chocolates on valentines day, REALLY??? lololol..
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    Options
    o9d1uiaumpqf.jpg

My DH (the one who hides food from me and laughs when I oversnack :'( ) is still very supportive.
    He bought me this beautiful shiny new bike last week. I love it.

<3 You feel so free when you're coasting down a hill.

<3 Trying to get that "free feeling" when I'm toiling back UP the hill.

<3 I will be riding this bike even when I'm OVER the hill.