Replies

• Charm4u76132
    Charm4u76132 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Shari!
  • Charm4u76132
    Options
    There was recent discussion here about high Blood Pressure. My readings were repeatedly a bit high at the dr. office. Finally, I realized that I had been drinking 2-3 diet colas during the work day, and then seeing the dr. in the afternoon. Several times, it was right after lunch and I had a medium diet cola with lunch.

Decided not to have any caffeine on the days of my dr. appointments. Sure enough, no more high BP readings. Tried this several times and it worked. Appalling that the DA doctors can't even seem to figure out simple stuff like this. They have absolutely no clue and never even ask about anybody's caffeine intake. Grrr!

Not saying this is the same cause for anyone else. However, it could be a factor and is worth checking out.

- Nancy
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ready for bed; waiting for a line of storms to get here and pass which they should do w/in the next 20min.

Shari........Welcome, this is a thread; the groups are different.

Miriam......Wonderful colors. Can't remember where you are from. I believe that here your home would be called a "painted lady". If you (or anyone else) googles "painted lady houses" you can see some other wonderful examples. I've always loved them!!!!

I think Margarets house pic would also be a painted lady

Will try the test tomorrow since there is no follow-up spam email.........need to get off computer.

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Gilly, I know you may not see this but what fun to go see your 3 day old grand daughter. I was in the delivery room and saw both mine being born. At first I was very hesitant, I thought that it should be an intimate affair between husband and wife but it is very common these days and my daughter really wanted me there. It was truly wonderful.

Lisa, what a beautiful and very healthy looking baby.

Pip, good luck on your run. Run like the wind. You are already in 1st place in my book. I would be worried about getting sand in my eyes. Do you wear goggles? Update, sorry you didn't get first place. Kirby gets first place for those earrings!!!

Carey, I always am grateful for some one who says thanks for something but I can't remember anything I said about playing with cardboard boxes or hopscotch. It does bring back very happy memories though, so thank you for doing that!

DJ, wow that was hard for me to write! I will try to get to that. May take me awhile.

Janetr, $1700/month alimony! Wow, what a windfall for you now. Maybe you can go on vacation. I don't know anything about alimony but if they divorce does she go back to collecting alimony for your husband?

Terri, Milwaukee, did some one say cookies??? I would run out and give blood for that. I haven't asked in a long time but the last time I checked, I can't give blood because of my MS. There is no known cause for it and that was one reason they wouldn't let me give any. I wish I could. I am AB-. Most of us in the family are. When I am somewhere I can't access from the MFP data base, I try to ask what it is made of and enter quick calories and err on the excessive side.

Penny, I want to live with you!!!!!

Miriam with cats, what an awful story those girls have led. If I remember correctly, they are your sister's children or maybe her grand children? I just want ot say God bless you. You have quite a nurturing spirit.

JanetM and anyone else trying to eat a salad and keep the salad dressing to a minimum. This is what I do. When I get it I immediately chop it up as fine as I can. at Texas Roadhouse where I get a chicken breast on it, I have them put the chicken on a side plate and cut it into small pieces also. After it is cut up fairly fine, then I add the dressing. I usually end up using maybe a third of the little dish they provide me with. i put that dressing in and turn and turn that salad until the greens, etc are as coated as I want them. I like tasting the salad and not jsut the dressing. I think some one mentioned yesterday that they ordered something and it wasn't fixed the way they wanted it. I think the cooks had smothered it in a sauce they didn't want. I just send it back and ask for another to be made. When we have to pay $10 for a salad now, it better be made the way I want it.

Mikesmom, I sure hope Cracker Barrel gets all their nutritional online. It would help so much.

Sylvia, Molly looks like she owns that couch!!!

Welcome Shari. I think it is kind of like a forum and message board. I think you can access it by looking under 'motivational' on the general menu. When you find us, click on the grey star at the very top above the magnifying glass. That will turn it to yellow. Then the next time you come here, go to community, then there right at the tippy top are several symbols, the first one is a bell and the next one is star. Click on that star and you will find us. At the end of this month, barbie will start a new one for July, make sure you bookmark that one. If you forget, Barbie always posts a link to it in the June one. Click on the grey star to bookmark July. Good luck, I hope I didn't mess you up.

Well so far Charlie is still going to have lunch with us tomorrow. With him, you have to think outside the box for a gift. He doesn't like a lot of money spent on him either. If it is he will return it. We live in a bi-level so the first thing you see as soon as you enter the front door is the living room floor. It is pretty much at eye level as you come in. It is a jumbled, disorganized little spot and he is always asking where his keys, flashlight for Karaoke, glasses, sunglasses, pen and paper for Karaoke. So I went to Office depot and got him a desk organizer and had it all set up for him when he came in from his walk. I went all over the house and looked for all his little flashlights, can't have a big beam for Karaoke, a nice pen and paper, his extra keys, old sunglasses and his regular glasses already in it. So when he came in and tried to put his keys on the floor, I directed him to the organizer. I hope it works. I had bought him a mesh one without compartments before but he never used it so I sold it or gave it to DGDs or something. I'm glad it was a nice day and when he has nice days, after his walk he goes and looks at cars. Never to buy, just look. You see I went to the mall while he was out and went to Christopher and Banks. I had a $10 reward card and if I spent $75 on regular priced clothes or more I got double reward points for the purchase. So I just had to had to go!!! So I got double reward points, saved a bunch of money and got 6 items of clothing, all of them were buy one at regular price, other 50% off, plus my $10 card off. You just have to look at it the right way!!!!

Joyce, Indiana where it is dry today!!!!
  • Charm4u76132
    Options
    Cheri, Agree with you about MFP doing wacky and frustrating things.

I've only been using MFP since 6/1/15. Was so aggravated that I wanted to throw the laptop against the wall. Fought with MFP multiple times every day. First of all, I found that a lot of food items were inaccurate because I looked at the calories plus number of grams for Carbs, Protein and Fat. Secondly, I strongly do NOT want it adding back in my exercise calories because I am reducing my weight, not eating back all of the calories that I worked so hard to expend and cause weight loss! Finally purchased Premium because it was driving me nuts and now I can turn that dang feature OFF.

I am Determined to succeed and out smart MFP. The Reports contain extra garbage like 'copy from today' plus it has a long list for every single day for that week, listing 'copy from Monday, June 15' etc. So, I had to do MUCH copying and pasting into a Word doc or Excel to get a clean report for my Health Coach appt. I did it that way to make it easier to read and save ink/paper. But it was terribly time consuming and should be unnecessary if MFP ran decent reports.

Worst of all, I had entered everything for my first entire week, but MFP autocratically DELETED all of it! :s My Health Coach appt. was the next day and I needed to bring my complete diary so we could discuss it. Imagine my shock and terrible upset to find that MFP had DELETED ALL of it on the website! Grrr. Fortunately, I could still see everything on my Android phone. So, then I had to re-enter everything onto the website by looking it up on my phone (because there's no way for me to print a report from my phone. Geez! Decided that MFP was NOT to be trusted, so created my own spreadsheet. Another reason for my spreadsheet, I can do the math and not have the exercise calories added back in. It was very important for me to have an accurate and complete report of everything for my HC appt. the first week on my new DNA plan. It cost me several hours to do all of that.

Most frustrating, MFP does NOT sync between the website and iPad. So I had to enter everything separately twice, once on my laptop and then again on my iPad. Tried several times, but it fails to sync. Their Help Desk must be outsourced to India. All you get is canned answers. They repeat the same canned answer even after you tell them that you have tried their 'solution', but the problem still persists. They told me to press the Sync icon on iPad. Well, Duh! I did this on several different days. It swirls and says it was 'successful'. But then it immediately states that the last update was 75 days ago--which is impossible because I only started using MFP on 6/1/15. After MUCH aggravation and frustration, I finally decided to STOP using MFP on my iPad. Now I only use MFP on my laptop and Android phone. Thank God, on the web and Android phone it syncs up!

- Nancy
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Joyce IN - "Janetr, $1700/month alimony! Wow, what a windfall for you now. Maybe you can go on vacation. I don't know anything about alimony but if they divorce does she go back to collecting alimony for your husband?"

lol No thank goodness, she'll probably get it from this new one tho. She will continue to get half of my husband's military retired for as long as Jack lives and collects it. They were married for 30 years, therefore got half of everything. The alimony was ordered for 15 years and was down to the last two years. I think she thot she'd better marry while she had the chance before the alimony income ran out. She has never worked a day. :) I'm just glad we are done with it!!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    kariliz2 wrote: »
    I had an appointment with a personal trainer this afternoon and was so psyched to start working more on strength. Now who knows when???

Flat on my back for now... Kari

I had that happen more than once. Rest and lie on your back with a pillow under your knees and you will be back to normal soon! (((hugs)))

Mary from Minnesota

• Charm4u76132
    Options
    Agree with Joyce IN. Most of the time, it's the salad dressing that's very high in fat and calories. Had a small side salad at Chili's. Used MFP B4 eating it and discovered it would put me well over my fat grams for the day. Dipping my fork works, and I have also not used the side of dressing. Instead, I used salsa. It was delicious and low in calories and no fat. Yay!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Cheri - sorry I can't take the quiz. I won't give out my email address to them because they will continue to send me emails after that! Everyone check your email and tell me I'm wrong.

Mary from Minnesota
  • Charm4u76132
    Options
    No, they never sent me any emails. I do understand your concern, Mary.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    No, they never sent me any emails. I do understand your concern, Mary.

Thanks for the update.

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, just ending the day with you all. :smiley: Visited my garden at about 7:35am this morning and clipped some spinach for a friend today. Need to locate a tomato support because my tomato plants are growing all over the place! Lazy day, and made burgers for my guys. Burned the buns under the broiler. I SUCK at multi-tasking! Thank goodness I had three more for them!
    Tomorrow being fathers day is setimental. My Dad passed away about 6 yrs ago from Alzheimers and in a strange way I feel closer to him than ever. When I dream about him, he is of sound mind and spirit. I believe he is at peace. And when I talk and think about him, he can understand me now. It gives me comfort. Many years after his passing, my sister found a letter written during the time when my parents where getting a divorce. My father was a very serious, and private person, but this letter was amazing.

To My Girls~
    You didn't have a choice when your mother and I brought you into the world. I hope your happy that we did.
    It isn't possible for me to express the joys you have given me even when I did hurt you. You gave me your love even when you couldnt understand me. You will have unhappy days, problems, worries, but thats just part of life. Don't let them overshadow the warm sunny days, peoples laughter, the innocence of children, gentle rain that cleans our earth, the smell of newly ploughed earth, the pounding of our ocean surf, gentle breezes that muss your hair.
    I love you, "lights of my life"
    Dad

The hurt you part is when the divorce happened. I was really angry, and I was a freshman in high school, so I yelled alot... I thought it was important to share this letter, because it shows forgiveness, and a side of my father, I didn't even see. And of course I feel really special when I read it. Who knows if he was ever going to share it with us, but I am glad my sister found it.
    Becca by the Beach
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    We had a lovely drive to Ulverstone and then a dog walk on Button Beach. Then drove thoDone near Devonport for another walk with Blaize
    I am at12886 at 4.30pm
    Shepherd's pie in oven and vegies prepped
    Jeannette Jenkins' has another Bikini Boot-camp ii out, it is awesome. LOVE it
    Lesley in tassie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm at DSIL'S. No time to post much. Have read. Yesterday I ate and drank at the party. It was great! Don't feel guilty. Back on the wagon today. :D

Love to all. Losing weight is really very, very simple. Eat less. Move more. That's it. :):flowerforyou:

Heather, UK
  • Thinkthin2324
    Thinkthin2324 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am doing this again, had knee surgery last January and off course got lazy and ate so I am starting again. Your group sounds awesome because I need motivation.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Molly - You ask if I miss trees. That depends. When I'm on the tundra I generally don't miss trees. As you found yourself in the Mojave desert, they obscure the stark beauty of the landscape.

Other times I do miss them. Then it's often a specific kind of tree I wish I could interact with at that moment. Sumacs from my childhood, with the fuzz on the young branches. Beech trees with their astounding bark like living skin. Ponderosa pines or balsam poplars for their scent. Newly leafed oaks for the coppery color. Aspens! Whenever I see an aspen waving its leaves at me I have to wave back.

Hmm... maybe I miss trees more than I'm aware of!
    We finally got the dogs safely inside, then hubby and I went back to the dam to look for Venus and Jupiter, who were bright tonight, and close together.

Sylvia - After reading about your dogs escaping and how much trouble you had getting them back under your wing, my first thought was that Venus and Jupiter were two MORE dogs that had gotten away. smiley-laughing014.gif

/Penny
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Becca by the Beach Thanks for sharing that with us. So beautiful, made me teary. You were loved by your father. What a sweet memory today.

Everyone, hope you have a great Father's day.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Jen, thank you.

Charm, thank you.

My girls were on a sleepover last night. After two years of having girls, the house was TOO quiet last night. I was able to unwind from all the stress I have been under lately, so that was good. (Their parents showed up in Iowa and we had to flee until dad was jailed. Mom still within a half hour drive. Too close for comfort for ALL three of us.) I was able to keep my food intake down which means I was feeling less stressed. I am a huge stress eater. We leave on a trip tomorrow, so that will also help with my stress level.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Happy Father's Day, all--and summer solstice, if you're so inclined. It's also my DH's birthday. I'm nine years older, and wouldn't marry him until we were in the same decade... so it's also just a week until our sixth anniversary! I was 49 when we married, and he was 40. I included a couple pictures of him... I think he's a hottie. :) I'm keeping him.

oijqpz4ayhe6.jpgac2hopfnth9g.jpg

Trying to write my weekly article this morning, and the slaughter at the Charleston church just keeps haunting me. I feel I have to write about it, and I'm slugging it out. Some things are easy to write, but some 800 words just have to be bitten off one at a time. Well done to your group, Dr. KatieBug, for the money raised for the victims.

To those taking the quiz, by adding your e-mail, you are signing yourself up for a newsletter regarding your type; I've been notified already that it's coming. I have good spam filters, so if I don't like the newsletter, I'll just flag it, but if it bothers you to get junk e-mail, do think twice about going to take the quiz. If someone hasn't seen it, it's possible their spam filters might have dumped it already.

Welcome @thinn2010 and the rest of the newbies! It's a good place to be--the lovely and talented BarbieCat will start us a new one for July, which keeps things nice and clean.

[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/image/blue%5E_%5Etimes%5E_%5E3%5E_%5E2%5E_%5EWARNING: Rant Ahead!%5E_%5E.gif[/img]

Frustrated here on my "official" weigh-in day. GAINED three pounds this week, which makes me insane, since I've actually exceeded my calories on exactly ONE day of the last 80 days, and I run six days a week, three and a half miles a day now.

Am trying to reassure myself that it's a cycle, and if you look back at my chart, which I've included below, I'm in the stall cycle... and that it will drop soon. But you see that red line at the right? That's my goal of getting to 175 pounds by July 1. And losing ten pounds in ten days, even if four to five of it IS water weight (which it probably is) doesn't feel rational. Not that I feel terribly rational at the moment.

When we revisit our goals for July, I'll just have to start anew that's all... and remember that stalls happen.

[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/image/pink%5E_%5Etimes%5E_%5E2%5E_%5E0%5E_%5ERant over, back to my sunny self!%5E_%5E.gif[/img]

slwbdfqgthbc.jpg
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Pip: such great photos! How is your eye?

Margaret: love the house.

Sylvia: Molly must have felt great, streaking around like that. Glad she’s OK and you had a great idea to catch her. (And glad Spot’s OK.)

Salad: I often get dressing on the side, and dip my fork in the dressing before spearing some of the salad. It saves a lot of dressing.

Having a quiet day, doing stuff in the house etc. Visiting a friend with a new pup later. She’s the person my dog stays with when we’re on vacation.

Hope we all have a good day!

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png