Men, what should a woman eat(or not) on the first date?

Options

Replies

• RedRaven49
    RedRaven49 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever the f*** you want and if he disapproves, don't go on a second date. You deserve someone who isn't a judgmental twerp.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If he is paying, order something you like that is reasonably priced. If you are paying or both are splitting, order whatever you want.

This.

• Jesstaysan
    Jesstaysan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wings, eat all the wings.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    She made another thread about self confidence earlier today.

Actually yesterday, so she may not have come back today due to it being a work day for her. I've emailed her and asked her to come back.

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    There are two sides to this I see.

One is if you eat something different just to impress the guy are you not lying or misleading them from the get go? Say you normally eat pasta and you decide to eat a burger just because your on a date, doesn't that seem misleading or shows a lack of confidence.

The other side I see is you don't want to spill food on you, them or the immediate area so I would maybe avoid things with sauces or soups or too much liquid. Also something that you use cutlery to eat if possible.

I always spill stuff. No matter how careful. Like a stray tiny peice of food will fall on me. And it won't just leave a small mark. This peice would be covered in sauce or oil and bounce and roll all the way down my front leaving a trail.

Lol, that happens to me except everything just lands on my boobs :D

Me too I always drop something on me...ugh

What's really awkward is when you wear a low cut top and drop something between your boobs and it gets stuck in your bra. That's totally happened to me.

OP, eat what you like.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the replies - just the first few. I'll take a different tack with my advice.

This is a *first* date -- remember, you only get one chance to make a first impression. So, you need to focus on maximizing that first impression. And how do you do that? By displaying, through your superior taste and discernment, that you are worldly, tasteful, and most of all *classy*!

So, your challenge starts right with the drinks. Consider a nice bottle of bubbly - cheaper than ordering by the glass and let's you set the tone for the meal. Although I am a California boy, I still say stay away from domestics. A real champagne - from France - is the way to go here. I can see ordering a prosecco or similar sparkling wine, but for God's sake make sure it isn't domestic - nothing says "I'm not classy" like a domestic sparkling.

With the appetizer, I think there are a couple of ways to go. A good foie gras gets things rolling well. And you have a real opportunity to let him know just how discerning you are – I’ve never been more impressed than the time a date asked about the foie gras (be sure to pronounce it correctly as “fwaw graw” with emphasis to enhance the classiness) and turned up her nose when told it was actually duck and not goose! Raw oysters or chilled shellfish are also great choices. You might even pair a foie gras with some chilled oysters or lobster tails. Be sure to ask him what he’s going to have as an appetizer – emphasizing that this is for you, and also being able to veto another choice that clashes with yours.

For soup or salad, I always say “why not both?” A simple Caesar salad – insist on the parmesan begin grated tableside and make sure the anchovies are not a cheap restaurant-supply-company staple in a can – is great, and a small cup of lobster bisque (if you didn’t have lobster as an appetizer) is good. Perhaps a simple tomato soup, so long as the waitstaff is willing to let you spoon your own crème fraiche and will freshly grind pepper for you from a grinder at least 1.5 meters long! Get a bottle of California chardonnay to go with the soup salad combo.

Entrees really are wide open, depending on the type of restaurant you’re visiting. If in doubt, just go for the most expensive item – class isn’t concerned with prices. One thing I’ve found to be really worthwhile is to mix and match your own entrée and sides. For example, a date once wanted to try the seared Ahi tuna steak in a seasame crust served with wasabi-infused mashed potatoes and lightly grilled asparagus drizzled with olive oil. But she was also interested in the filet mignon in a balsamic reduction, with roasted new potatoes with rosemary and buttered / creamed spinach. She insisted on a half portion of the Ahi, light on the seasame crust and cooked well, and a half portion of the filet but with a mushroom sauce instead of the balsamic reduction. She wanted the wasabi-infused mashed potatoes but asked to substitute garlic for the wasabi, and also a lightly stir-fried asparagus tip, pancetta, and walnut side. Never mind that these sides weren’t prominently featured on the menu – she knew what she wanted and any decent kitchen should meet your requests. And don’t listen to any protests from the waitstaff that they only serve the items listed on the menu; you order what makes most sense for you and demand that the restaurant accommodate you; that’s what they’re there for after all – it’s their whole reason for being in business. If met with further resistance, just raise your voice a bit. A bottle of a bold red (regardless of your entrée) is appropriate with your main. As I said, I am from California, so am partial to a California Cabernet, but if there are interesting French Burgundies available, that’s always an option. (BTW, don’t feel the need to finish absolutely every bottle – it’s just nice to have the bottle available so you don’t ever have to wait on a refill).

Dessert is really your playground. Whatever suits your fancy. I like to see a date pair something like a chocolate souffle and a cheese plate with a 375ml bottle of a nice tawny port. One date asked for small portions of everything on the dessert menu so she could taste and try a bit of everything – I was impressed!

As dessert winds down, confirm that they offer espresso, and ask where they source their coffee. If not up to your standards, dismiss the waitstaff with a sad shake of the head and a sigh and make clear that you’ll go elsewhere for proper coffee and after-dinner drink.

Hopefully by this point your date has presented himself as something more than a horrible dullard. If not, oh well – we all must live and learn from our trials. If he does show any bit of promise, I am confident that you will have made an impression! He may even wonder how he managed to get a date with such a worldly and more importantly *classy* woman. Good luck!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ^^Cannot finish this. Too hangry after foie gras
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

But there is sooo much more!

• arditarose
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

But there is sooo much more!

Stop. Now I'm just sad and want to go on a fancy date and wear a pretty dress and heels and eat all the foods :( I've been wanting this for days too!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    But I don't drink at all. I'm not about to force myself to drink disgusting wine or champagne just to impress a guy. Yuck.
  • arditarose
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    But I don't drink at all. I'm not about to force myself to drink disgusting wine or champagne just to impress a guy. Yuck.

lol what? Then don't.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Haven't read all the replies - just the first few. I'll take a different tack with my advice.

This is a *first* date -- remember, you only get one chance to make a first impression. So, you need to focus on maximizing that first impression. And how do you do that? By displaying, through your superior taste and discernment, that you are worldly, tasteful, and most of all *classy*!

So, your challenge starts right with the drinks. Consider a nice bottle of bubbly - cheaper than ordering by the glass and let's you set the tone for the meal. Although I am a California boy, I still say stay away from domestics. A real champagne - from France - is the way to go here. I can see ordering a prosecco or similar sparkling wine, but for God's sake make sure it isn't domestic - nothing says "I'm not classy" like a domestic sparkling.

With the appetizer, I think there are a couple of ways to go. A good foie gras gets things rolling well. And you have a real opportunity to let him know just how discerning you are – I’ve never been more impressed than the time a date asked about the foie gras (be sure to pronounce it correctly as “fwaw graw” with emphasis to enhance the classiness) and turned up her nose when told it was actually duck and not goose! Raw oysters or chilled shellfish are also great choices. You might even pair a foie gras with some chilled oysters or lobster tails. Be sure to ask him what he’s going to have as an appetizer – emphasizing that this is for you, and also being able to veto another choice that clashes with yours.

For soup or salad, I always say “why not both?” A simple Caesar salad – insist on the parmesan begin grated tableside and make sure the anchovies are not a cheap restaurant-supply-company staple in a can – is great, and a small cup of lobster bisque (if you didn’t have lobster as an appetizer) is good. Perhaps a simple tomato soup, so long as the waitstaff is willing to let you spoon your own crème fraiche and will freshly grind pepper for you from a grinder at least 1.5 meters long! Get a bottle of California chardonnay to go with the soup salad combo.

Entrees really are wide open, depending on the type of restaurant you’re visiting. If in doubt, just go for the most expensive item – class isn’t concerned with prices. One thing I’ve found to be really worthwhile is to mix and match your own entrée and sides. For example, a date once wanted to try the seared Ahi tuna steak in a seasame crust served with wasabi-infused mashed potatoes and lightly grilled asparagus drizzled with olive oil. But she was also interested in the filet mignon in a balsamic reduction, with roasted new potatoes with rosemary and buttered / creamed spinach. She insisted on a half portion of the Ahi, light on the seasame crust and cooked well, and a half portion of the filet but with a mushroom sauce instead of the balsamic reduction. She wanted the wasabi-infused mashed potatoes but asked to substitute garlic for the wasabi, and also a lightly stir-fried asparagus tip, pancetta, and walnut side. Never mind that these sides weren’t prominently featured on the menu – she knew what she wanted and any decent kitchen should meet your requests. And don’t listen to any protests from the waitstaff that they only serve the items listed on the menu; you order what makes most sense for you and demand that the restaurant accommodate you; that’s what they’re there for after all – it’s their whole reason for being in business. If met with further resistance, just raise your voice a bit. A bottle of a bold red (regardless of your entrée) is appropriate with your main. As I said, I am from California, so am partial to a California Cabernet, but if there are interesting French Burgundies available, that’s always an option. (BTW, don’t feel the need to finish absolutely every bottle – it’s just nice to have the bottle available so you don’t ever have to wait on a refill).

Dessert is really your playground. Whatever suits your fancy. I like to see a date pair something like a chocolate souffle and a cheese plate with a 375ml bottle of a nice tawny port. One date asked for small portions of everything on the dessert menu so she could taste and try a bit of everything – I was impressed!

As dessert winds down, confirm that they offer espresso, and ask where they source their coffee. If not up to your standards, dismiss the waitstaff with a sad shake of the head and a sigh and make clear that you’ll go elsewhere for proper coffee and after-dinner drink.

Hopefully by this point your date has presented himself as something more than a horrible dullard. If not, oh well – we all must live and learn from our trials. If he does show any bit of promise, I am confident that you will have made an impression! He may even wonder how he managed to get a date with such a worldly and more importantly *classy* woman. Good luck!

Do you think my husband would mind if you and I went to dinner?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

what??????

just take tequila shots the date will go better.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I have a few PERSONAL guidelines:

1. Don't eat anything stinky- personally I can't stand fish/ seafood or to be around anyone eating fish, baked beans, scramled eggs or blue cheese. Bleugh, but I would mention it beforehand.
    2. Good table manners are a must. Must use a knife and fork properly and not talk with mouth full. No elbows on the table etc.
    3. Have some knowledge and appreciation of wine. It's a turn off for me when a man doesn't know anything about wine. No sweet wine - unless with desert.
    4. Don't pig out. Guys who stuff themselves on a date are a turn off for me- especially if they are so full afterwards that they get gas and can't move etc. Personally I like to eat light on a date so I'm not too full for 'afterwards'.
    5. Don't 'feed' me. This grosses me out. Plus, taking food off my plate to try it- huge turn off.
    6. Don't get drunk and sloppy.
    7. Lastly- I'm being picky but I don't like it when a guy orders 'dainty' and 'sterotypically feminine' things- yes, it's just my perception. For example- ordering half a pint of larger or a hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows etc. It's just my taste but I like a 'real ale and bloody steak' kind of guy.

Oh, and I'm okay with splitting the cheque. You might think some of these things are common sense (table-manners etc.) but I've encountered them on dates in the past. I'm sure loads of people on here have some good horror stories- I'd love to hear them!

Of course, once I'm in a relationship (I'm married)- most of those 'guidelines' go out of the window.

Ya think?
  • ndj1979
    Options

lol what? Then don't.

don't you know rule five in paragraph ten states that all chicks have to drink wine and champagne on the first date?
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    I'm going on my first date with a new guy and I don't know what to order. I don't know exactly where we are going, but I'm asking not necessarily in regards to calories but more in regards to what I "should eat." Like what looks better- a salad or a burger?

Thanks!

You can't be that insecure?!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hi-
    I'm going on my first date with a new guy and I don't know what to order. I don't know exactly where we are going, but I'm asking not necessarily in regards to calories but more in regards to what I "should eat." Like what looks better- a salad or a burger?

Thanks!

You can't be that insecure?!

it has already been established that OP is that insecure...