June 2015 Bike Bicycle Cycling Challenge

Options

Replies

• scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    Haven't ridden very much but got a new bike last month. I will make my first month goal at 100 miles. :#

June 3 - 8 miles (biked to work)
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I didn't keep May up to date but I will try harder this month. My goal is 400 kilometers. My average ride is around 15 - 20km right now and I try to ride 5 times a week.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Sorova wrote: »
    I remember really loving it, and I want to get back into it. I'm starting out small: I'd like to bike 25 miles in June and figure out how to be less terrified of cars.
    If you figure out a way to be less terrified of cars let me know, but then again my fear is probably what keeps me alive on the mean streets of Toronto
  • Momb4me
    Momb4me Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your insight and it makes sense. I will set my goal since I'm just starting out at 175 miles for the month of June. Today, I actually did 10 miles.
  • teresajo03
    teresajo03 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I haven't ridden in a few years and my goal is to get on my bike twice a week this month.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I spin a few times a week at the Equinox. My next challenge is to try the new, hard-core class, The Pursuit.
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    @Whittedo @Sorova Here is a great resource I read through a couple of times before riding on the road - http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm it is a great document and is helpful for anyone beginner-expert.
  • dxp232
    dxp232 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A bit terrified as my first ever century is in a week and a half...
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 200 miles in June. To date, I've been rained out on 6/1 and 6/2. But I'm sure I'll get a 10 mile ride in this evening as the skies are clearing and I wanna ride.
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    HopHead28 wrote: »
    @Whittedo @Sorova Here is a great resource I read through a couple of times before riding on the road - http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm it is a great document and is helpful for anyone beginner-expert.

Thank you! I found that extremely useful, especially the parts about how to ride in traffic.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    6/02-21.15 @ 16.44 Avg.
    6/03-26.80 @ 16.71 Avg.

MTD: 47.95
    Goal: 600

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'll join in!

My goal is 500 for June. Most of that will be taken care of with a century this weekend and a bike trip the next week.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    dxp232 wrote: »
    A bit terrified as my first ever century is in a week and a half...

Just remember to eat and drink regularly throughout the ride. You don't have to eat lots ... go for about half what you're burning. But keep it up regularly right from the start.

And if this is an organised century, don't get caught up with the rabbits out front. Let them do their thing while you ride it at your pace.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    March Cycling: 409.33 km (254.34 miles) = 21 hours 55 min
    April Cycling: 384.15 km (238.7 miles) = 20 hours 35 min
    May Cycling: 259.06 km (160.9 miles) = 14 hours 5 min (including 45 min on trainer)

It is winter. The sun is setting at 4:45 pm, there's snow on the mountain, and it is cold. But happily, this is the month where daylight hours will start increasing again ... just need to make it through June. :)

June Totals

01 Mon - 60 min on bicycle on trainer

03 Wed - 50 min on bicycle on trainer

• cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 18.1 miles
    6/2 - 19.2
    6/3 - 15

Total - 52.3
  • cfpcyclist
    cfpcyclist Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I got in a blistering 25 miles at 18.8 per mile. It was my first ride this month. I would like to ride 250 miles but if I get the opportunity to take a few long day rides, I could get in 500 which would be 10 for each year of my age in my birth month.
  • jjstewbop
    jjstewbop Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'll set my goal at 250 miles for June. I ride to work most days - my one way distance is 3.2 miles and I usually ride home for lunch too making my commute 12.8 miles total.

6/1 - 12.7 mi regular commute
    6/2 - 12.8 mi regular commute
    6/3 - 14.2 mi commute plus I stopped at the bike shop on the way home to pick up a new tube for my wife's bike.

Total - 39.7
  • scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    goal - 100 miles

June 3 - 8 miles (biked to work)
    June 4 - 9 miles (Jordan parkway)
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'd like to join! I'm just a casual cyclist on a heavy mountain bike, but I'm trying to increase my mileage as my schedule permits!

I'm in for 60 miles this month.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sorova wrote: »
    I remember really loving it, and I want to get back into it. I'm starting out small: I'd like to bike 25 miles in June and figure out how to be less terrified of cars.

Improving one's command of the bike should be the very first place start. Top of that list should be to ride in a straight line. Believe or not, most riders cannot do it consistently or well, and meandering when sharing the lane with the big hitters is a recipe for pain.

Riding in straight line starts at 0:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW1_TIs_6Tw