June 2015 Bike Bicycle Cycling Challenge

Options
Haven't seen this pop up yet so with that being said here is the June cycling thread!

Welcome to our June Cycling Thread. If you are new to posting on this thread, or if you are new to cycling, We welcome you! If you are returning from a previous thread, We welcome you, too.

This thread is for anyone who rides a bike. Do you bike to work? Do you pull your children to the park? So you ride weekends? Do you spin, at home or the gym? Or, are you just starting out and remembering how much fun you had biking when you were a kid? However you choose to push your pedal, you are welcome on this thread.

I am a fairly casual person and, as such, have created a fairly casual thread. There are no rules to how or what you post. My only request is that you be kind. You may post miles, minutes, # of rides, what the scenery looks like, anything. Whatever will motivate you to get on your bike.

Please know that everyone who posts is welcome and encouraged, whether you’re riding a 100 miler on the weekend or just riding around the neighborhood.

Replies

• HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My goal for the month is to ride between 400-450 miles.

June 1 9.96mi @ 17.52mph
    June 1 10mi @ 17.18mph
    June 2 9.97mi @ 18.5mph

June total: 29.93mi
    Left to ride: 370.07 - 420.07
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My goal is to do at least 400 miles. More is always better though. This month I should also break my 1000 mile YTD mileage.
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    My goal is to do at least 400 miles. More is always better though. This month I should also break my 1000 mile YTD mileage.

The 1k mark is always a welcomed one in my world. Take a pic of where you are at when it happens!
    Here is mine from this year.
    ou83toqwri6x.jpg
  • tdatsenko
    Options
    That's pretty cool. I'll try and remember to do something similar.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 175 miles this month :smile:
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just started biking to work this morning actually. It is 15.5 miles one way and I hope to get in around 350 miles this month. I have a couple of trips planned with work so I will be on travel several times this month so I have limited days to commute.
  • Virkati
    Options
    6/1 - Rest
    6/2 - 4.16 @11.4 (0:21:57)

MTD - 4.16
    MTG - 170.84
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Shooting for another 450 miles this month. Would be nice to surpass my all time of 467 while on vacation last year. My goal is 2,000 miles for 2015, up from 1,700 in 2014 this was before I got a trainer and RB so I am already at 1,193 for this year. Maybe 2,500 is the more challenging goal...

6/01 - 07.12 @ 16.7 mph (AM Commute)
    6/01 - 12.02 @ 16.5 mph (PM Commute)
    6/02 - 07.04 @ 16.7 mph (AM Commute-MTB)
    6/02 - 12.27 @ 15.7 mph (PM Commute-MTB)

MTD: 38.45
    GOAL: 450
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    6/02-21.15 @ 16.44 Avg.

MTD: 21.15
    Goal: 600
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Happy to have found this thread! I biked as a kid, and for (short-distance) transportation in university, but that was a while ago now. I remember really loving it, and I want to get back into it. I'm starting out small: I'd like to bike 25 miles in June and figure out how to be less terrified of cars.

Two days ago I bought the first bike I've ever owned that wasn't from a garage sale, and I'm working on learning how to maintain it properly. It's a Specialized Vita Sport, for anyone curious.

How do you all track distance? I was just going to use my smartphone, but would a bike-specific device be better?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    March Cycling: 409.33 km (254.34 miles) = 21 hours 55 min
    April Cycling: 384.15 km (238.7 miles) = 20 hours 35 min
    May Cycling: 259.06 km (160.9 miles) = 14 hours 5 min (including 45 min on trainer)

It is winter. The sun is setting at 4:45 pm, there's snow on the mountain, and it is cold. But happily, this is the month where daylight hours will start increasing again ... just need to make it through June. :)

June Totals

01 Mon - 60 min on bicycle on trainer
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 18.1 miles
    6/2 - 19.2

Total - 37.3
  • Virkati
    Options
    6/1 - Rest
    6/2 - 4.16 @11.4 (0:21:57)...lunch break ride
    6/2 - 8.88 @12.2 (0:43:31)...after work ride

MTD - 13.04
    MTG - 161.96
  • Hildawasylyk
    Hildawasylyk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ok I just brought my old antique bike to the bike repair shop for new brakes . Starting Monday I will ride my bike to work at least 4 days a week.@ 15 miles round trip. Wish me luck
  • Momb4me
    Momb4me Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I too just got my bike and want to start with this bike challenge. Starting Saturday want to ride at least 25 miles a day. I do need your prayers.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Going for another 500 this month - hopefully this time avoiding needing to do half of them in the final week to reach that number.

@jdaw2 - I'd highly recommend setting an overall target (i.e. 750/month instead of 25/day), but tracking your average to ensure you are staying on pace. Rest/recovery days are important, a daily number can get monotonous to consistently maintain, lightning/thunderstorms happen (especially in my neck of the woods) leading to unsafe riding conditions, and mixing up your distances with short & long rides or group rides (allowing yourself to try out different destinations and routes) can be a bit more fun as well.

6/1 - 15 miles
    6/2 - 6 miles

Total: 21 miles
    Goal: 500 miles
    Remaining: 479 miles
  • tdatsenko
    Options
    Sorova wrote: »
    How do you all track distance? I was just going to use my smartphone, but would a bike-specific device be better?
    I use my smart phone when outside and my cheap bike computer when indoors.

• Sorova
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    I use my smart phone when outside and my cheap bike computer when indoors.

Thanks! I've used Endomondo for running before and it looks like they have a cycling mode too. Going to give that a try. Off to the local bike shop for a reflective vest and some tubes.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Happy to have found this thread! I biked as a kid, and for (short-distance) transportation in university, but that was a while ago now. I remember really loving it, and I want to get back into it. I'm starting out small: I'd like to bike 25 miles in June and figure out how to be less terrified of cars.

Two days ago I bought the first bike I've ever owned that wasn't from a garage sale, and I'm working on learning how to maintain it properly. It's a Specialized Vita Sport, for anyone curious.

MapMyRide is pretty good. That's what I use.
  • Sorova
    Options
    June 3 - 2.4 miles