Options
124»

Replies

• raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    If God wanted me to eat seeds, he would have made me a bird. :yum:
    Now I'm off to eat an apple...

So, no sunflower or sesame seeds? And you remove the seeds from berries and squash before eating?

I was being facetious.....
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I eat all but a couple of tiny shreds of the "core" and the seeds. The tough part is usually about the size of my pinky fingernail. I have never understood why a lot of people throw away the entire middle part. 95% of that is the same as the rest of the apple.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    It's a loss I'm willing to assimilate into my budgetary constraints.

Word. The core is tough. No thanks.

OP, can't you just add your apple cores to your compost pile / bin? Seems like a good way to avoid waste. Not to mock you. I'm sure you had good intentions.

This.

I compost all my fruit and vegetable cutoffs. I get a beautiful lawn out of it. And since I pay for trash removal by the can, I can save about $7.00/month. That's $84/year, so does this mean I actually make money by not eating the core?

Yes, yes it does. Good job.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Besides, those horrid bits surrounding the seeds get stuck in your soft palate. Have you ever had one when somebody missed it prepping apples for an apple pie? Ruins the whole lovely experience.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who eats the entire apple and the entire orange - peel and all.

I think it's disgusting.

Then again, there are people in parts of the world who eat cockroaches. Maybe we should stop spraying our houses with pesticides to kill them and instead start trapping and eating them. Imagine the savings!

And chocolate covered grasshoppers for dessert! Ugh. No thanks. Oh, how did this thread get to 3 pages? Missed that. I'm behind.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    camground2 wrote: »
    br3adman wrote: »
    Did you know you can eat the entire apple? The only part not edible is the seed. Its no such thing as an apple core you can eat it. If each of us eats an apple a day, as we all do, and we are all wasting 30 percent of our apples at $1.30 per pound, that's about $42 wasted per person per year—which is $13.2 billion annually, thrown in the trash. Its a video somewhere that shows how to eat an apple like a boss!

Been eating whole apple for like 40+ years. Yep even crunch up seeds.

I believe the seeds contain arsenic, so you might want to give them up. Having said that my dad claims he has been eating them for 80 years with no ill-effect.

Before I (temporarily) gave up apples I ate the whole apple apart from the seeds/stem.

The seeds contain a small amount of cyanide. And you'd need to eat a lot of them to have any impact.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/questions/question/2737/

I don't eat apple cores because they have that inner skin around the seeds that is bitter. But I do eat orange peels. Not the entire peel usually. Maybe 25 to 50% depending on whether or not it's good. The best peels have a thick pith and juicy rind.

I eat the inside pith of the orange peel too! The white part is actually very good.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

Besides, those horrid bits surrounding the seeds get stuck in your soft palate. Have you ever had one when somebody missed it prepping apples for an apple pie? Ruins the whole lovely experience.

Now all I can think about is apple pie.

On topic, I don’t really eat much fruit, but I do like a Granny Smith apple on occasion. I’m one of those weird people who eats the entire thing, seeds and all, just because I like it. In terms of food wastage though, there are a lot bigger problems in the world than people throwing away apple cores. i.e. grocery stores regularly dumping slightly-off produce like it’s going out of style.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    Pass

Speaking of which, the idea of passing apple core shards is kind of a turn-off.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    We could all send the OP our apple cores and banana skins.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I used to take pride in eating entire apples including seeds. didn't die of cyanide poisoning but stopped once I learned of that danger....

You would have to eat eighteen apples worth of apple seeds at once to get enough cyanide to harm you.
    ETA: I'm one of those people who eat the whole thing. I actually like the texture and the taste of the core...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Okay well good thing I never eat apples.

Unless they're in pie. And I don't want any apple core in my pie, thank you.