City of Davis to institute new ordinance on soda "ban" with kid's meals

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I don't drink soda, my husband does, but my kids also don't. I grew up drinking soda and Kool-aid. I was always overweight and obese and I know drinking soda and such doesn't help. I also had cavities all the time.
    So in other words your parent(s) didn't work and educate you adequately and you had inadequate oral hygiene habits.

Where does it say anywhere that the parents didn't work (and even if they didn't what does that have to do with the case in point)?

Anyway, I say bring on the junk tax, stop making crap food the cheap option, and the next generation will be a lot better off!

Amen!
    Oh, my, yes. Government distortion of markets always works out so well. You guys have heard of Prohibition, right? I wonder how enthusiastic you'll be when the government starts messing with things you favor. I'm sure you'll be just as gung ho.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    It's ridiculous. Dad, do you want water or milk with your happy meal for junior? Soda! Okay.

They're passing a law so they look like they're doing something, but you can still order the soda. The parents still, as they should, have the choice.

Context. No one knows if junior is getting milk every other time and this time soda is a treat or what. This is not a matter for laws to decide.

It's actually about changing the defaults. That does affect peoples behaviors. The idea is to make the default option the healthier option. I agree that soda shouldn't be banned, but I don't see a problem with this particular policy.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    That's california for you, if they had their way we'd have no rights at all.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    http://www.examiner.com/article/davis-calif-is-making-it-illegal-to-offer-kids-soda

In the past week, the Davis City Council voted unanimously to ban the sale of soda to children, SF Gate reported Friday, May 29. The ordinance would mandate businesses and restaurants that serve food marketed towards kids (think Happy Meals) to offer only water or milk as refreshment options. Parents, however, can still order sodas and other sugary beverages for their children, but they won’t be given the option directly.

Under the new law, businesses will face fines from the city of Davis if employees don’t comply with the ordinance. This scrutiny on soft drinks like Coca-Cola and Pepsi, which are widely understood to contain excess amounts of sugar, is nothing new. Soda taxes are prevalent around the country and campaigns against soft drinks have become just another part of the national social discourse.

What's next? Ice Cream? Candy?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Nanny state. Because soda is the only evil contributing to the obesity epidemic? I'm with you all the way. Where do they draw the line?

The correct course would be for society to push for these changes and force the food and beverage industry to make their own changes. Like fast restaurants offering salads, water and fruit. The government didn't have to pass a law for this to happen. They knew they needed to offer better options if they wanted to keep (some of) their customers. But a silly ban on kids orderingn soda? Nonsense.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    It's ridiculous. Dad, do you want water or milk with your happy meal for junior? Soda! Okay.

They're passing a law so they look like they're doing something, but you can still order the soda. The parents still, as they should, have the choice.

Context. No one knows if junior is getting milk every other time and this time soda is a treat or what. This is not a matter for laws to decide.

It's actually about changing the defaults. That does affect peoples behaviors. The idea is to make the default option the healthier option. I agree that soda shouldn't be banned, but I don't see a problem with this particular policy.
    How about the companies and customers involved sort out what the default should be?

The problem is government mandates affecting the dealings of consensual transactions.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    A lot of people's regular, everyday meals are fast food these days. There's nothing wrong with having milk and water be the default, easier option.

The food culture in America clearly needs to change and this is a small step in that direction -- we need a new normal.

This is basically how I feel.

On the whole, I don't think it's going to do any good, but I also can't see any possible harm from regulating what is in essence marketing aimed at children, which we already do anyway.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member

How about the companies and customers involved sort out what the default should be?

The problem is government mandates affecting the dealings of consensual transactions.

I get it, but I guess I have a different view of the role of government. But I'm curious, what are your thoughts about regulations of the sale of cigarettes and alcohol to minors? Is there any role for government there? This is not to draw an equivalence between those substances and soda, but I want to see how far your issue with government mandates goes.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Since when is it the government's job to make parental decisions in the US?
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Since when is it the government's job to make parental decisions in the US?

Is the government stopping the parents from buying soda for their kids?

• RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    That's Davis. :/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    I don't drink soda, my husband does, but my kids also don't. I grew up drinking soda and Kool-aid. I was always overweight and obese and I know drinking soda and such doesn't help. I also had cavities all the time.
    So in other words your parent(s) didn't work and educate you adequately and you had inadequate oral hygiene habits.

Where does it say anywhere that the parents didn't work (and even if they didn't what does that have to do with the case in point)?
    My bad, I left out the word "on" after work.
    Anyway, I say bring on the junk tax, stop making crap food the cheap option, and the next generation will be a lot better off!
    Lol, that's done a lot to reduce the use of alcohol, gas and cigarettes right?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Jaxxie1181

I don't know about trends in your area, but I do not see anywhere near as many people smoking as there was five years ago. No one can afford to smoke anymore LOL

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    kromanich wrote: »
    It is not up to the government what drink option I provide my child. Fast food is not meant to be an everyday option. Each is a treat. So if I choose to give my child a soda on a special trip to McDonald's that's my decision and no one should judge or tell me that I cannot do so. The person that judges or criticizes has no idea what or why we are at McDonald's.

I believe we also need to teach children that everything in moderation (when it comes to food) is ok. To strictly so absoultely no sugar or candy or soda ever. Will back fire when they are older and make the choices soley on their own.

I think you've missed the point. The idea that the parent *can* buy it for the child – just as he/she can legally give their underage child a glass of wine at dinner – but the child can't go out and have a soda binge with his pocket money.
    Kids roaming the neighborhood with spare cash buying themselves Happy Meals is really the target here? Really?

I think for me the soda overconsumption thing started when I was around 11-12, when I had pocket money. My friends and I used to sneak off the school grounds to get to the pop machine at the gas station down the street.
    Lol, and you don't think that today's kids today won't ride a bike or drive a car outside the city limits to be able to buy one? Do you have kids?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member

My bad, I left out the word "on" after work.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Probably not the example you wanted to use. Smoking has dropped exponentially since tax hikes started piling on. A pack of cigarettes these days costs close to what a carton was 30 years ago.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I'm in favor of the ordinance, and get a little frustrated when people react as though it's some horrible example of government over-reach. Decisions focused on public health are sensitive, for sure, but this one is a good example of a helpful one. Parents still have complete autonomy over deciding what they want to purchase for their child.

I'm also not a fan of starting a thread like this, really, as it just seems like flame-bait that can easily transition into the sort of political debate that I thought was discouraged on these boards. What's the purpose of the thread?

But I'm new here, so maybe I'm off-base.

So you don't see this as overreach? When does it reach that point for you? When the government imposes choices upon you rather than others?

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I don't see how that even comes close to winning the inevitable court challenge.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Lol, and you don't think that today's kids today won't ride a bike or drive a car outside the city limits to be able to buy one? Do you have kids?

If a kid is going to be so desperate for a soda that they'll take public transit to the next city over to buy one, then clearly an ordinance like this is needed.