City of Davis to institute new ordinance on soda "ban" with kid's meals

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,502 Member
http://www.examiner.com/article/davis-calif-is-making-it-illegal-to-offer-kids-soda

In the past week, the Davis City Council voted unanimously to ban the sale of soda to children, SF Gate reported Friday, May 29. The ordinance would mandate businesses and restaurants that serve food marketed towards kids (think Happy Meals) to offer only water or milk as refreshment options. Parents, however, can still order sodas and other sugary beverages for their children, but they won’t be given the option directly.

Under the new law, businesses will face fines from the city of Davis if employees don’t comply with the ordinance. This scrutiny on soft drinks like Coca-Cola and Pepsi, which are widely understood to contain excess amounts of sugar, is nothing new. Soda taxes are prevalent around the country and campaigns against soft drinks have become just another part of the national social discourse.

What's next? Ice Cream? Candy?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    I guess I don't see the problem. It would be a problem if they banned the sale to children entirely, but I fail to see what's wrong with not making it a prominent option with the meal. The article says parents can still order their kids a soda.
  • ninerbuff
    The PARENT should be making the prominent option, not the government. When I order a kids meal for my kid, I order milk for her instead of soda. But again, that's the option I make based on common sense.
    Telling businesses how and what they can and can't advertise (and fining them for it if not compliant) shouldn't be the governments job.
    My belief is this is just a step to an eventual "sin" tax on sugared items.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    I don't drink soda, my husband does, but my kids also don't. I grew up drinking soda and Kool-aid. I was always overweight and obese and I know drinking soda and such doesn't help. I also had cavities all the time.

I see parents all the time buying large sodas for their kids (and toddlers!) and they just sit there slurping down probably all the calories they need in a day.

I think teaching kids to drink water (and even milk) will help them in the long run. My son will ask for water before anything else. When we go out, he would choose a banana as a treat over doughnuts or cookies any day.

We give them the tools (or take the bad stuff out of the forefront) and it will help them learn healthy habits for the future!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Because juice is so much better... *rolls eyes*

Seriously. And that's coming from a mom whose kids never have soda.
  • ninerbuff
    edited June 2015
    I don't drink soda, my husband does, but my kids also don't. I grew up drinking soda and Kool-aid. I was always overweight and obese and I know drinking soda and such doesn't help. I also had cavities all the time.
    So in other words your parent(s) didn't work and educate you adequately and you had inadequate oral hygiene habits.
    I see parents all the time buying large sodas for their kids (and toddlers!) and they just sit there slurping down probably all the calories they need in a day.

I think teaching kids to drink water (and even milk) will help them in the long run. My son will ask for water before anything else. When we go out, he would choose a banana as a treat over doughnuts or cookies any day.
    So you're educating him on better options right?
    We give them the tools (or take the bad stuff out of the forefront) and it will help them learn healthy habits for the future!
    So if we ban drugs and alcohol or keep them away from kids, that's a for sure way to ensure they don't engage in either?

Education is more important than banning. Lots and lots of kids who become legal adults at 18 engage in activities/food/behaviors that they weren't allowed to do under too strict a rule.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    I'd believe they actually cared about the kids' health if they included chocolate milk with the "ban," but since they didn't, it's obvious this is nothing but pandering to the soccer mom wife of someone on the council.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The PARENT should be making the prominent option, not the government. When I order a kids meal for my kid, I order milk for her instead of soda. But again, that's the option I make based on common sense.
    Telling businesses how and what they can and can't advertise (and fining them for it if not compliant) shouldn't be the governments job.
    My belief is this is just a step to an eventual "sin" tax on sugared items.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep....agree!!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    It's ridiculous. Dad, do you want water or milk with your happy meal for junior? Soda! Okay.

They're passing a law so they look like they're doing something, but you can still order the soda. The parents still, as they should, have the choice.

Context. No one knows if junior is getting milk every other time and this time soda is a treat or what. This is not a matter for laws to decide.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Busybodies and meddlers.
  • kromanich
    kromanich Posts: 16 Member
    It is not up to the government what drink option I provide my child. Fast food is not meant to be an everyday option. Each is a treat. So if I choose to give my child a soda on a special trip to McDonald's that's my decision and no one should judge or tell me that I cannot do so. The person that judges or criticizes has no idea what or why we are at McDonald's.

I believe we also need to teach children that everything in moderation (when it comes to food) is ok. To strictly so absoultely no sugar or candy or soda ever. Will back fire when they are older and make the choices soley on their own.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited June 2015
    So in other words your parent(s) didn't work and educate you adequately and you had inadequate oral hygiene habits.

Where does it say anywhere that the parents didn't work (and even if they didn't what does that have to do with the case in point)?

Anyway, I say bring on the junk tax, stop making crap food the cheap option, and the next generation will be a lot better off!
  • Chrysalid2014
    kromanich wrote: »
    It is not up to the government what drink option I provide my child. Fast food is not meant to be an everyday option. Each is a treat. So if I choose to give my child a soda on a special trip to McDonald's that's my decision and no one should judge or tell me that I cannot do so. The person that judges or criticizes has no idea what or why we are at McDonald's.

I believe we also need to teach children that everything in moderation (when it comes to food) is ok. To strictly so absoultely no sugar or candy or soda ever. Will back fire when they are older and make the choices soley on their own.

I think you've missed the point. The idea that the parent *can* buy it for the child – just as he/she can legally give their underage child a glass of wine at dinner – but the child can't go out and have a soda binge with his pocket money.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member

I think you've missed the point. The idea that the parent *can* buy it for the child – just as he/she can legally give their underage child a glass of wine at dinner – but the child can't go out and have a soda binge with his pocket money.
    Kids roaming the neighborhood with spare cash buying themselves Happy Meals is really the target here? Really?
  • Chrysalid2014

Kids roaming the neighborhood with spare cash buying themselves Happy Meals is really the target here? Really?

I think for me the soda overconsumption thing started when I was around 11-12, when I had pocket money. My friends and I used to sneak off the school grounds to get to the pop machine at the gas station down the street.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    A lot of people's regular, everyday meals are fast food these days. There's nothing wrong with having milk and water be the default, easier option.

The food culture in America clearly needs to change and this is a small step in that direction -- we need a new normal.

• jesikalovesyou

So you're educating him on better options right?
    So if we ban drugs and alcohol or keep them away from kids, that's a for sure way to ensure they don't engage in either?

Education is more important than banning. Lots and lots of kids who become legal adults at 18 engage in activities/food/behaviors that they weren't allowed to do under too strict a rule.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah. My parents didn't educate me on healthy eating habits. They fed us terrible food and didn't tell us what was good for us.

My parents were drug addicts and alcoholics. When they got clean, they made sure that we weren't doing any drugs whatsoever. Yes. It is easier for the parents to teach the kids if they aren't bombarded with the terrible stuff. I never saw people doing drugs or drinking at all growing up, so it was easier to not do drugs or drink.

In Japan, they give water with your meal. Unless it is a chain (like McDonald's), you will automatically get a glass of water. Getting soda or juice isn't a thing. You have to specially request it if it is that important to you. I feel they are doing it right.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member

I think for me the soda overconsumption thing started when I was around 11-12, when I had pocket money. My friends and I used to sneak off the school grounds to get to the pop machine at the gas station down the street.
    If that's what they're doing, they'd just get the drink somewhere else. Does that mean they should start carding when they sell soft drinks?

• jesikalovesyou

Where does it say anywhere that the parents didn't work (and even if they didn't what does that have to do with the case in point)?

Anyway, I say bring on the junk tax, stop making crap food the cheap option, and the next generation will be a lot better off!

Amen!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2015
    I used to live in Davis!! Wow, small world.

My mother got a "littering" ticket for dumping ice out of a cup on the concrete. She had ice water.

We were waiting to pick my sister up from her elementary school in our car in the middle of summer. Someone came and knocked on our window and told us to turn off our car (and AC) because it was "wasteful".

A majority of the people there either bike or drive (on the road) golf carts.

In other words.... I am not suprised. At all.