CAN'T Give up CANDY!!!!

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    shelby929 wrote: »
    I was at my goal weight about a year and a half ago. Since then I have gained back 6 pounds, which isn't bad but with summer here, I want to get back to that goal weight. I know part of the weight I gained back for me was candy!!!! I absolutely love it, I probably have at least 1 piece of candy a day (anywhere from literally 1 hershey kiss to a bag of skittles). Does anyone have any tips for losing weight while still having the candy/ how I can incorporate the candy into my weight loss, or any awesome alternatives to candies?? Anyone else suffer from this issue?? Thanks!

Candy is pure sugar.

Pretty much. (Although one of the two candies OP mentioned is chocolate, which involves more than sugar.)

Sugar has 4 calories per gram.
    I plugged into my diary a piece of peppermint candy you can get at most restaurants and then did not get it. The calories in just one small piece or a bite will kill your daily caloric intake.

Guess I don't go to these restaurants. The calories in a peppermint candy based on my brief checking are 20. Most little hard candies have about 20-25 calories, as does a kiss. If that's enough to throw off your day or to take the place of all your veggies, well, you aren't managing your diary well or have an insanely low goal.

I don't eat much candy either, since I like other sweets or extras (like cheese) better as my indulgence, but if OP likes candy, that's just a matter of personal taste.
    I'd rather have a Klondike Bar which is only 100 calories and that will satisfy my 'sweet' spells.

Sure, that's great too, but I don't see why that makes your choice superior or more justifiable than OP's.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    jacklfc88 wrote: »
    Haha good for you! Doubt you know what 12% body fat looks like! Think what you want, eat what you want. Sweets have little to no nutritional value.
    Really? Cool, I can eat as much as I want!
  • senecarr
    Options
    To the original poster, how do you eat candy, when you have it? Part of the pleasure might be the feeling you're giving yourself freedom to consume it in unlimited quantities. You can piece mail and divorce that piece of it to reduce the overall temptation.
    Instead of eating it directly, first, take any amount you're going to eat, weigh it, and put it into the serving size that works with your goals. Then, before you let yourself have any, take any remainder and put it away properly. This will help ingrain a pattern.

To everyone else - while I see a lot of people referencing back and forth about alcoholism, I have to ask, does ANYONE have actual, clinical evidence that alcoholics have to become abstainers? I know a lot of people think it is a serious addiction, and AA / 12 step programs help people, but as far as I'm aware, there's no science backing most of their assertions. Instead, the idea that alcoholism is best treated by total abstinence instead of LEARNING how to deal with it is based on religious beliefs in the purity of abstaining from things.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Haha everyone getting shirty. I haven't said sugar is evil, people need to go and read where I said I have some sweets whilst I am training. I have some myself at other times.

But the OP has put 6lbs on and eats sweets a lot and wants to lose it. Common sense is to reduce it or cut it out if they wanna lose it again, don't you think? If you wanna cut you gotta lose body fat. If you wanna lose body fat then reduce unnecessary carb intake such as sweets. End of.

or just eat less of EVERYTHING..

if you want to reduce body fat you eat less calories, carb intake has nothing to do with it; unless of course your carb intake is putting you in a surplus.

Which sweets more than likely are.

Nope. That's an assumption. You are are making assumptions on how people lose weight and what they have to do.

Not really. Man I am getting bored of repeating myself here. For the final time, pay attention, are you ready?

The OP said they can't stop eating sweets.

Doesn't take a genius to work out what MAY not be helping diet wise.

And at the same time have made statements about everyone in general needing to not eat sweets on a regular basis if they want to drop the fat they want but at the same time there have been people in this thread alone that said they do eat it in a regular basis and hit their goals but yet you ignore that fact.

No, just not advocating including sweets in a diet. As an odd treat yeah. As part of a lifestyle and diet no. Have you ever seen any serious training guide suggest sweets as part of a daily diet? I haven't.

But each to their own.

strange I eat ice cream every day and my blood work is nearly perfect and I am about 12-15% body fat…

how did that happen???

Haha good for you! Doubt you know what 12% body fat looks like! Think what you want, eat what you want. Sweets have little to no nutritional value.

Yeah you're right right he must be lying. Big talk from someone that has all of his information and pictures hidden.

Hey, how come you never replied to my post a few pages back. How I get pretty leans, we'll call it 12% just for fun and how all my health markers were so much better. Did you visit my ice cream forum here yet???? Did ya???

haha, big talk. it's a forum, relax. Info and pics aren't hidden to people I follow or follow me, don't know how to do it otherwise.

Didn't see the post tbh and no haven't been on your forum yet I'll take a look sometime.

You guys are funny though.
  • senecarr
    edited June 2015
    Options
    haha, big talk. it's a forum, relax. Info and pics aren't hidden to people I follow or follow me, don't know how to do it otherwise.

Didn't see the post tbh and no haven't been on your forum yet I'll take a look sometime.

You guys are funny though.
    So do you seriously believe there are no people that reach 12% Body Fat or less without doing purely "clean eating"?
  • jacklfc88
    Options
    Right, the 12% had nothing to do with sweets. I was just passing comment that he's not 12%, and he said he had his BF estimated.

I haven't said you weren't 12%.

Funny how people get so mad about stuff like this, it's a forum for expressing personal opinion. My opinion is that I wouldn't be eating sweets or ice cream if I was cutting because it is extremely high in sugar. Your opinion is that you would. Now stop crying about it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Right, the 12% had nothing to do with sweets. I was just passing comment that he's not 12%, and he said he had his BF estimated.

Funny how people get so mad about stuff like this, it's a forum for expressing personal opinion. My opinion is that I wouldn't be eating sweets or ice cream if I was cutting because it is extremely high in sugar. Your opinion is that you would. Now stop crying about it.

Nobody's mad ...settle down and you'll fit right in...we like good discussion

But you went to insult him and missed unfortunately ..it's fine cos nobody here is a sensitive little flower ...apart perhaps from the ones who like to follow deprivation rules ..they seem to get rather hangry :bigsmile:
  • senecarr
    Options
    Funny how people get so mad about stuff like this, it's a forum for expressing personal opinion.

Funny how you can post an oxymoron in one sentence.
  • jacklfc88
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Nobody's mad ...settle down and you'll fit right in...we like good discussion

But you went to insult him and missed unfortunately ..it's fine cos nobody here is a sensitive little flower ...apart perhaps from the ones who like to follow deprivation rules ..they seem to get rather hangry :bigsmile:

No insult intended.
    senecarr wrote: »
    Funny how people get so mad about stuff like this, it's a forum for expressing personal opinion.

Funny how you can post an oxymoron in one sentence.

Yeah hilarious.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I was at my goal weight about a year and a half ago. Since then I have gained back 6 pounds, which isn't bad but with summer here, I want to get back to that goal weight. I know part of the weight I gained back for me was candy!!!! I absolutely love it, I probably have at least 1 piece of candy a day (anywhere from literally 1 hershey kiss to a bag of skittles). Does anyone have any tips for losing weight while still having the candy/ how I can incorporate the candy into my weight loss, or any awesome alternatives to candies?? Anyone else suffer from this issue?? Thanks!

Candy is pure sugar. I plugged into my diary a piece of peppermint candy you can get at most restaurants and then did not get it. The calories in just one small piece or a bite will kill your daily caloric intake. I'd rather have a Klondike Bar which is only 100 calories and that will satisfy my 'sweet' spells. I don't normally eat candy; but Reese's Cups and Snickers are the best! I haven't checked what a small piece of either would cost me per day. I'm on a very low caloric intake number; so I know they'd take up a lot of them. Not worth it, since I am trying to lose; probably not worth it, if I was only maintaining.

I really don't understand what you are saying. You can't fit a peppermint candy at a restaurant into your day but you can fit a 100 cal Klondike bar in?

For a reference point a Reese's Mini is about 40 cals and a fun size (which I think is one regular size PB cup) is about 75. How low is your intake that you can't fit either of those in?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Still, there is a general issue with this on the MFP boards. So many people post about struggles with binge eating or compulsive behavior regarding food and get beat up about it as if they should just snap out of it, it isn't like they have a REAL addiction.

Well, it's not an addiction.

I don't think they should just "snap out of it." I think they need a strategy and that for some people that might involve avoiding certain foods for a while, but thinking of it as an addiction doesn't help.

For example, I've seen people say they are "candy addicts" (or the like) because they take one of those giant bags of skittles (or some other such thing) and eat out of it when watching TV and disappoint themselves because they don't get full and stop after a serving. Well, of course not, but that's not because they are "addicted," it's because they are human. Simply teaching yourself to measure out a portion and put the bag away is enough to help some people. (Similar to those who wonder how to avoid overeating at dinner--put on the plate the amount your want to eat, put away the food, and tell yourself no seconds.)

Others have more complicated issues--emotional eating or a habit of eating at certain times or in certain places that feels overwhelming. Others may have a pattern established where they eat a carby breakfast, have a crash, need energy so snack on something sweet and go up and down like this all day. There are millions of possibilities and I think people here are able and willing to help.

Simply deciding you are hopeless because an "addict" or must cut out all foods you love seems to me a premature reaction until getting the specifics of what the struggle is.

I don't blame people who decide they are "addicted" (which of course OP did not), as there's all sorts of garbage all over the internet and in diet culture generally about this "addiction" model these days, re sugar or all carbs especially. It's irritating, and that's why I get annoyed at those who seem to want to go immediately to "you must cut it out or binge." I actually did cut some stuff out for a while (and think that was helpful for specific reasons), but I find that I can moderate and I think most can if it's approached properly and strategically. Yet some posters keep insisting that if you eat any sugar you are unhealthy or going to binge or such nonsense.

Cosign x2

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Haha everyone getting shirty. I haven't said sugar is evil, people need to go and read where I said I have some sweets whilst I am training. I have some myself at other times.

But the OP has put 6lbs on and eats sweets a lot and wants to lose it. Common sense is to reduce it or cut it out if they wanna lose it again, don't you think? If you wanna cut you gotta lose body fat. If you wanna lose body fat then reduce unnecessary carb intake such as sweets. End of.

if you want to reduce body fat you eat less calories, carb intake has nothing to do with it; unless of course your carb intake is putting you in a surplus.

That's a HUGE assumption. You know what they say about those.

• PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options

Nope. That's an assumption. You are are making assumptions on how people lose weight and what they have to do.

Not really. Man I am getting bored of repeating myself here. For the final time, pay attention, are you ready?

The OP said they can't stop eating sweets.

Doesn't take a genius to work out what MAY not be helping diet wise.

And at the same time have made statements about everyone in general needing to not eat sweets on a regular basis if they want to drop the fat they want but at the same time there have been people in this thread alone that said they do eat it in a regular basis and hit their goals but yet you ignore that fact.

No, just not advocating including sweets in a diet. As an odd treat yeah. As part of a lifestyle and diet no. Have you ever seen any serious training guide suggest sweets as part of a daily diet? I haven't.

But each to their own.

strange I eat ice cream every day and my blood work is nearly perfect and I am about 12-15% body fat…

how did that happen???

They nourish my soul. That's good enough for me. I'll enjoy every chocolate chip in my yogurt tonight.

Nice try at an ad hom on him. You should have looked at his profile before your epic fail.

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can ... but you WONT, right?

Big difference.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Candy is pure sugar. I plugged into my diary a piece of peppermint candy you can get at most restaurants and then did not get it. The calories in just one small piece or a bite will kill your daily caloric intake. I'd rather have a Klondike Bar which is only 100 calories and that will satisfy my 'sweet' spells. I don't normally eat candy; but Reese's Cups and Snickers are the best! I haven't checked what a small piece of either would cost me per day. I'm on a very low caloric intake number; so I know they'd take up a lot of them. Not worth it, since I am trying to lose; probably not worth it, if I was only maintaining.

A fun sized Snickers bar is 80 calories. I'm on 1200 calories and I'm often able to fit them in. If I wanted one today, I have the calories left for it. (I pre-log).

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just don't get how the calories in a peppermint kill your daily intake.

The only peppermints I'm thinking of are like 20-25 calories.

Are there super 500 calorie peppermints that restaurants are giving out? Please tell me what restaurant--I may want to go there and get dessert free.