CAN'T Give up CANDY!!!!

Options
shelby929
shelby929 Posts: 9 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I was at my goal weight about a year and a half ago. Since then I have gained back 6 pounds, which isn't bad but with summer here, I want to get back to that goal weight. I know part of the weight I gained back for me was candy!!!! I absolutely love it, I probably have at least 1 piece of candy a day (anywhere from literally 1 hershey kiss to a bag of skittles). Does anyone have any tips for losing weight while still having the candy/ how I can incorporate the candy into my weight loss, or any awesome alternatives to candies?? Anyone else suffer from this issue?? Thanks!

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Eat less than you burn. Include your candy in your calorie allowance, simples lol
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I keep a bag of my favorite jelly beans in the cupboard. On days when I have a sweet tooth I'll weigh out a single portion in grams. I'll then eat them very slowly.

It's so eye opening seeing what 140 calories of jelly beans looks like!

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    So don't give it up. Work it into your goals.

Try splitting bags and packages of your favorites into more reasonable portions. It's easier to tell yourself "enough' when a little package is empty versus when a large package is half-empty.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's not that hard to fit in your diary, honestly. Just go for the small sizes.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Eat less than you burn. Include your candy in your calorie allowance, simples lol

^^ What she said ^^

You're talking about 22 calories in a Hershey's Kiss, or 61 in a Fun Size bag of Skittles. As long as you account for it, that isn't going to kill your loss. I have a little chocolate every now and then . . . I think it accounts for about 30 calories a week, on average.

That reply "just track it, and everything will be okay" is good, IF you are really talking about one piece of candy a day. I wouldn't consider that a lot. If we're talking a piece of candy every time you walk by the candy dish on your office, that's another story, and something you might have to deal with. (I used to dip every time I walked by, by the way . . . and I never considered myself a candy "addict". What did I do about it? I just stopped doing it!!!)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I eat Sweets (Candy) almost every day.
    I just don't eat loads & loads of it.
    Probably 150-200 cals worth a day.
    You don't need to give it up totally.
  • shelby929
    shelby929 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    depending on the candy in the candy dish I sometimes have a few handfuls lol. And I would say that I also consume about 150-200 calories daily of candy. I guess I will just make sure to count it. I think I will also use that advice of putting each serving size into smaller bags. Thanks guys!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say something unpopular. Don't buy it. Don't walk down the aisles in the store where they sell it. Stay far, far away. Yes, there are people who have such a generous calorie allowance that they can "work it in" and people who can do the moderation thing... but that's not everyone. If you tried that, and all that happened was you gained weight, then I say avoid that crap. That's how I reached my goal last November and I've stayed there ever since. I said to hell with candy, ice cream, etc... being strong and healthy and not looking like a blob is more important to me than eating that stuff. We're not all the same person. There are plenty of ppl who think that if they can get away with eating candy then so can you.... meh let them think it. You know what your truth is in your life, and how you personally function.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I'm going to say something unpopular. Don't buy it. Don't walk down the aisles in the store where they sell it. Stay far, far away. Yes, there are people who have such a generous calorie allowance that they can "work it in" and people who can do the moderation thing... but that's not everyone. If you tried that, and all that happened was you gained weight, then I say avoid that crap. That's how I reached my goal last November and I've stayed there ever since. I said to hell with candy, ice cream, etc... being strong and healthy and not looking like a blob is more important to me than eating that stuff. We're not all the same person. There are plenty of ppl who think that if they can get away with eating candy then so can you.... meh let them think it. You know what your truth is in your life, and how you personally function.

I agree. I try not to buy it because I can't just stop at a serving. For me, it's the chewy, fruity candies like gummi bears, sour patch kids, my kids fruit snacks, skittles, etc... Weirdly, I can pass up chocolate all day.

So I don't buy it anymore. Every once in awhile I'll buy a small bag of gummi bears (I think it has 3 or 4 servings) and try to make it last 2 days, but usually it doesn't. I log it and move on.

I cringe when my kids go to parties and get sent home with bags of candy... I certainly don't let them eat all the candy which means I end up sneaking it after they go to bed. Again, I log it and move on.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Not unpopular - realistic. Just log it works if you really WILL cut it once you realize what it is doing. My nemesis is potato chips. Those I CAN'T eat in moderation, and have had to go cold turkey.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I agree...those things I Can't handle in moderation (cookies, brownies) don't enter the house. Dove dark chocolate I fit in to my day...a big bag lasts me weeks. I'll have one or two a day and count in the calories. It's a 100 calories well spent in my opinion!
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am going to get beat up again. Sugar is a drug for you. It is like the one cigarette that will make you smoke again, Try to give it up entirely.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you dont want to give it up, then exercise is an option. 30 minutes of exercise per candy bar. You will be hard put to do it by diet alone and I think nutrution should come first.

I have chocolate and chips most days.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I cannot keep sweets in the house. I haven't given them up, but I only have them if I buy a single serving size at the store or am having a slice of dessert at someone's house. Being home alone with an entire cake or bag of candy would never end well.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

you can eat candy and ice cream, be strong, and not be a "blob" that is just ridiculous.

and what a miserable existence it must be to avoid a pice of candy because you think it will turn you into a blob.

OP I would suggest ignoring this.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I am going to get beat up again. Sugar is a drug for you. It is like the one cigarette that will make you smoke again, Try to give it up entirely.

please just stop.

sugar addiction is a myth.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So why try here again then? To stir the pot again?

OP when you dont have to give it up eat it. As other said here before, try to stay in your calorie allowance is all it takes.

I eat no added sugar and salt for medical reasons, but sure fit in some candy sometimes :)

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    shelby929 wrote: »
    I was at my goal weight about a year and a half ago. Since then I have gained back 6 pounds, which isn't bad but with summer here, I want to get back to that goal weight. I know part of the weight I gained back for me was candy!!!! I absolutely love it, I probably have at least 1 piece of candy a day (anywhere from literally 1 hershey kiss to a bag of skittles). Does anyone have any tips for losing weight while still having the candy/ how I can incorporate the candy into my weight loss, or any awesome alternatives to candies?? Anyone else suffer from this issue?? Thanks!

It will depend a bit on your calorie allowance. If it's big enough to get all your nutrients and have calories left over, you could buy one serving at a time, just when you want to consume it, so it isn't lying around the house tempting you to overeat it. If you need your entire caloric allowance to get your protein, vitamins, minerals and fibre in, you'll have to exercise to "earn" more calories to spend on candy.

Going without is a strategy that can work for some people. I've made a lot of dietary changes in my life for various reasons, and the things I once thought I could never live without are not really that appealing to me anymore. I'm not sure I could give up my favourite foods just to cut calories, though. I think I'd just try to fit them in.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I am firmly in the "everything in moderation" camp, and believe strongly that the key to long term success is to find ways to work the foods you love into your day or week.

However, you said you have gained about 6 lbs, and that sometimes you are just eating as little as a Hershey kiss? Are you logging your food diligently? Because the occasional Hershey kiss, or even a full size bag of skittles, may not be the only contributor to the weight gain. It isn't necessarily the candy that is pushing you over your calorie goal, it could be anything you are eating. I would suggest weighing and logging everything you eat for a couple of weeks and look for all the culprits contributing to your CI > CO.

• ChrissiQ
    ChrissiQ Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have the same problem with candy. I have a solution that helps me sometimes. I can gorge on this "candy" and if I eat 12 pieces (that makes me pretty full, it's a pretty big gorge - I almost never eat more than that), it's only 60 calories and pure protein, no sugar, no bad-for-you stuff. But it tastes like candy.

You can make this "candy" at home. It's made of sugar-free jello. But to make it more like "candy", I add extra gelatin to make it denser, chewier, and able to eat out of hand in cubes (and more filling). I use knox gelatin packs. My favorite ratio is 2 knox gelatin packets with 1 sugar-free jello packet. It makes for a final product you can pick up and eat out of hand, but is still jiggly like jello. If you prefer, I've heard of people making "gummy bears" by buffing up the gelatin ratio quite a lot, and letting it set in a flatter pan. I've only tried the "gummy bear" method once and it didn't turn out great, so if anyone has tips for that, I'd like to know how to make that work well!

But anyway, this recipe, I've done at least a dozen times. It works great.

Start out following the directions on the jello packet - add hot water to the powder and stir until dissolved.

Then, instead of adding cold water, add the knox gelatin to cold water in the ratio directed (If I use 2 packets, I add the gelatin to half a cup of water). Let the gelatin bloom. Then add more cold water to top up to the ratio of cold needed by the jello, and add that to the hot jello.

It just happens that the directions for knox and directions for jello are inverse of each other, and need each other! Jello is dissolved in hot water, then cold water added. Knox is dissolved in cold water, then hot water added. It works out! And the cool thing is, you can add your own flavourings and fruit and stuff, just like normal jello, to make it more interesting. You know all the water enhancers that are sold today? So many squirty bottles. I have a ton. You can use those to change the flavour so you don't get bored.

To make them the perfect size, I use those square Ziplock plastic containers. I line it with plastic wrap (otherwise it's much harder to get the jello out in one piece). Then pour the jello liquid in (it should be approximately room temperature after everything is combined, so no melting plastic worries here). Once it sets, you can lift it out by the plastic wrap, and cut it into 16 approximately square pieces.

You end up with jello squares that help to satisfy my candy cravings SOMETIMES. If you're anything like me, sometimes you just NEED the candy. I agree that everything in moderation is a good idea. Sometimes eat the candy - but other times, eat the jello. Especially if you feel like having LOTS. You can have tons of this and it barely has any calories.