Options

Replies

• DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I'm going to say something unpopular. Don't buy it. Don't walk down the aisles in the store where they sell it. Stay far, far away. Yes, there are people who have such a generous calorie allowance that they can "work it in" and people who can do the moderation thing... but that's not everyone. If you tried that, and all that happened was you gained weight, then I say avoid that crap. That's how I reached my goal last November and I've stayed there ever since. I said to hell with candy, ice cream, etc... being strong and healthy and not looking like a blob is more important to me than eating that stuff. We're not all the same person. There are plenty of ppl who think that if they can get away with eating candy then so can you.... meh let them think it. You know what your truth is in your life, and how you personally function.

you can eat candy and ice cream, be strong, and not be a "blob" that is just ridiculous.

and what a miserable existence it must be to avoid a pice of candy because you think it will turn you into a blob.

OP I would suggest ignoring this.

You are right - 'some', or even 'most' people can. For many of us, though, it takes quitting almost entirely to change our ways. What you are saying is akin to saying that people can drink beer or whiskey without being an alcoholic. While that might be true in general, it is not sound advice to give to an AA group.

Hello - My name is 'daveakeman', and I have a problem with ice cream. (Not candy so much, for me, at least.)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I am going to get beat up again. Sugar is a drug for you. It is like the one cigarette that will make you smoke again, Try to give it up entirely.

that's just ridiculous - sugar is not a drug .. it does not have the same biological effects as a drug

although the people who are talking about avoidance if you can't moderate are spot on

me I eat about 300 calories a day in things like ice cream, candy, chips etc .. it works within my balanced diet
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I don't eat lollies ("candy") for the sake of my teeth.

I don't miss it as I get enough sugary treats in juice, fruit, chocolate and alcohol.

Eat candy if you love it so much. Just love yourself more and eat candy in moderation.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key! I love chocolate, but I don't have it during the week. I'll admit, once I have chocolates on the weekend, I don't stop at a serving. Sometimes 2 or 3. But generally it all fits into my calories
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    I'm going to say something unpopular. Don't buy it. Don't walk down the aisles in the store where they sell it. Stay far, far away. Yes, there are people who have such a generous calorie allowance that they can "work it in" and people who can do the moderation thing... but that's not everyone. If you tried that, and all that happened was you gained weight, then I say avoid that crap. That's how I reached my goal last November and I've stayed there ever since. I said to hell with candy, ice cream, etc... being strong and healthy and not looking like a blob is more important to me than eating that stuff. We're not all the same person. There are plenty of ppl who think that if they can get away with eating candy then so can you.... meh let them think it. You know what your truth is in your life, and how you personally function.

you can eat candy and ice cream, be strong, and not be a "blob" that is just ridiculous.

and what a miserable existence it must be to avoid a pice of candy because you think it will turn you into a blob.

You are right - 'some', or even 'most' people can. For many of us, though, it takes quitting almost entirely to change our ways. What you are saying is akin to saying that people can drink beer or whiskey without being an alcoholic. While that might be true in general, it is not sound advice to give to an AA group.

Hello - My name is 'daveakeman', and I have a problem with ice cream. (Not candy so much, for me, at least.)

no, because I don't conflate food with drugs or alcohol. That is a ridiculous comparison point and if you really feel that way then check into rehab or join a 12 step program.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

no, because I don't conflate food with drugs or alcohol. That is a ridiculous comparison point and if you really feel that way then check into rehab or join a 12 step program.

the day somebody shows me a brain scan where the brain structure has been altered by an addiction to 'food' or 'sugar' will be the day I will start considering this ridiculous assertion
  • ndj1979
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

the day somebody shows me a brain scan where the brain structure has been altered by an addiction to 'food' or 'sugar' will be the day I will start considering this ridiculous assertion

but dopamine centers…!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    but puppies
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Eat it log it. The trouble starts when you pretend it didn't happen and do not acknowledge the impact it is having on your calories.

I bought 3 giant family sized chocolate bars (200g each - the fancy imported kind filled with caramel and nuts) at the airport duty free and I am eating my way through them a row at a time. I didn't think I could do that but what works for me is breaking off the row and then putting the chocolate away and out of sight (in my case, in a drawer I don't otherwise open). Now that I have mastered the trick I feel rather smug about it, knowing that I can and will control myself around it, shows me how far I have come.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    but puppies
    @rabbitjb
    Nice puppies certainly trigger my dopamine! :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    shelby929 wrote: »
    I was at my goal weight about a year and a half ago. Since then I have gained back 6 pounds, which isn't bad but with summer here, I want to get back to that goal weight. I know part of the weight I gained back for me was candy!!!! I absolutely love it, I probably have at least 1 piece of candy a day (anywhere from literally 1 hershey kiss to a bag of skittles). Does anyone have any tips for losing weight while still having the candy/ how I can incorporate the candy into my weight loss, or any awesome alternatives to candies?? Anyone else suffer from this issue?? Thanks!
    1 Hershey's kiss is 25 calories. A bag of Skittles is 230 calories. Even if you ate both, there's still at MINIMUM another 1000 calories you haven't accounted for. It's NOT the candy. You're just eating more than you burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    but puppies
    @rabbitjb
    Nice puppies certainly trigger my dopamine! :wink:

LOL .. Si
    giphy.gif

not

... oh, I'm at work .. just hit the filter :bigsmile:

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I am going to get beat up again. Sugar is a drug for you. It is like the one cigarette that will make you smoke again, Try to give it up entirely.
    If you would stop diseminating false information, you probably wouldn't get "beat up."
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Why does this issue have to be so black and white?? It the only choice that (1) skittles are exactly like crack emotionally and physically or (2) skittles are no different than any other food for everyone on the planet and if someone claims otherwise they are making excuses? Is there no middle ground--that some people have genuine struggles to practice moderation with certain foods for various reasons and that they need to figure out strategies to deal with that? Like going cold turkey or managing the circumstances under which they enjoy them? If you personally have never dealt with this, it might not make sense to you, but can't you just accept that some people may struggle in areas you don't and vice versa?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is as simple as calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. You can continue to eat all the foods you enjoy, including candy, you just need to learn how to fit them into your calorie goals :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

Why does this issue have to be so black and white?? It the only choice that (1) skittles are exactly like crack emotionally and physically or (2) skittles are no different than any other food for everyone on the planet and if someone claims otherwise they are making excuses? Is there no middle ground--that some people have genuine struggles to practice moderation with certain foods for various reasons and that they need to figure out strategies to deal with that? Like going cold turkey or managing the circumstances under which they enjoy them? If you personally have never dealt with this, it might not make sense to you, but can't you just accept that some people may struggle in areas you don't and vice versa?

the other poster conflated food with drugs and alcohol, so you had have to ask him why it is so black and white.

do people struggle with will power, yes; does that mean that they are addicted to sugar, candy, food, no.

Actually, I used to rip through ice cream like it was going out of style. I removed it for a while, reintroduced, and now I can have one to two servings, put it away, and be satisfied. So yes, I have struggled with this.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options

No, he can't and won't accept it. I don't give a rip. I know what's good for *me* and I don't need that guy's approval and neither do you. I listen to my doctor and my nutritionist, not some random dudebro who thinks he knows better than they do. People can yell "ridiculous" all day, and it's just noise, but I have created myself a bangin' body with my technique, and *that* is what I care about.
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Like anything else...if you take it away completely and you are craving it, you will binge eat it. Work it in with moderation - a single Hershey kiss is fine. I switched to very dark chocolate to get some health benefits too, but I have a small piece regularly. I don't crave it like I use to. Craving sweets is usually an indication that you need more magnesium in your diet - something to look at, as most of us are deficient in magnesium.
  • ndj1979
    Options

No, he can't and won't accept it. I don't give a rip. I know what's good for *me* and I don't need that guy's approval and neither do you. I listen to my doctor and my nutritionist, not some random dudebro who thinks he knows better than they do. People can yell "ridiculous" all day, and it's just noise, but I have created myself a bangin' body with my technique, and *that* is what I care about.

just because it worked for you, it is no reason to tell OP to avoid ALL candy and sugar, that is just ridiculous.

If your doctor is telling you to avoid all sugar, then I suggest finding a new one.

FYI - I eat sugar all the time and my blood work is nearly perfect at my yearly physical, I am about 12-14% body fat, and my diary is open and pictures are posted of said progress.

• Sued0nim
    Options

I don't get this response, I don't see that being discussed at all so am confused as to what I've missed

I thought this the gist of this thread is if you can moderate fine if you can't exclude

but don't come on saying food / sugar is a the same as a physical addiction .. because quite simply it's not and that analogy is designed to elicit sympathy for something that's not 'your' fault ... food addiction is a behavioural issue not a physical addiction

It's really not that anybody else cares how you get to your calorie defecit .. it's that people need to be less careless with terminology as it causes needless confusion and provides ready-made excuses