Is a 1200 calorie day really realistic???? Is that what most of you are doing????

Options
12345679»

Replies

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 to 1000 for the last few months of my weight loss. I have had almost no trouble at all maintaining for the last 3yrs. My maintenance calories are just over 1500 so I go through periods where I might eat a bit more (Oct-Dec) and then I cut it back down to 1200 for a while to compensate. Its not difficult if you are not one of these people who eats out everyday. I make 95% of my meals so I can choose to eat filling items instead of pure fat and sugar.
  • hippytee
    hippytee Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Calorific needs are different for everyone
    Usually a balanced diet of
    2000 for women 2500 for men NHS recommendations (UK s national health service) to maintain a healthy weight ,,
    1200 is ok as a short term diet plan these are only recommended for a few weeks as a long term plan not too great an option esp if yr a active , very active person,,,

A woman let's say is 250 lbs normally eats 3000 then goes on a 1200 may soon give up as its too much of a decrease or loose let's say 6 lb i for a few week but most probably not loose even a pound a week whilst on it. gonna feel tired Crave the sugary fattening foods and cheat pretty quick Feel disappointed that it's not working
    She could probably eat 2300 and loose 2 + lbs a week

Usually cutting back 500 calories sees the rec healthy weight loss of 1-2 lbs a week ,, plus getting more exercise than normally taken regularly
    Burning 3500 weekly through exercise = 1 lb weight loss depending on how much muscle you have as muscle burns more cals than body fat
    So a slimmer more muscly woman will. Burn more cals by just even walking the same distance as a heavier lady ,, thus the lighter of the two can eat more
    Sorry for the essay