124»

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    that means nothing.

and if you have to post your credentials to prove what a genius you are, chances are you are not as smart as you think you are.
    It has to do with me knowing how stressful or stressless going to an ivy league school can be, not my credentials for "genius". There can definitely be stressed out Ivy League students. Your typical one comes from a high income household. The point is to address that I'm being called out as supposedly making assumptions about someone, while someone is making assumptions about me, and about Ivy League students.

*kitten* bro, give up, nobody cares
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    19 year old male new to weight/strength training - would second the advice to lift weights and eat at maintenance calories.

You are in the golden years for training, recovery and progress - use them well. Track measurements, take photos and enjoy the ride.

Another poster gave good advice too. I can't recall his name at the moment. You're young with young bones and young muscles probably without the vast amount of injuries my old bones have gone through, so the time to start is now. Do you have access to a gym? If you're brand new at working out, it's difficult to learn how to use all the equipment. I know with gyms they often have PTs that offer basic advice and then you can watch people. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I have people ask me all the time what body part I'm working, etc. Make sure you're eating enough and eating good things. I keep my ratios at no more than 50 carbs, 30 protein and 20 fat and that works for me. I supplement with protein powder (more for a convenience thing), take Omega 3's, vitamin C and Zinc and that's it. Good protein sources like chicken, fish, lean meats, greek yogurt, cottage cheese (the texture bugs me so I blend it in with my shakes), lentils, beans. Lots of veggies for their fibre and carbs. I keep my fruits to berries and after workout banana, but that's just me. I don't drink milk but use almond milk as it has less carbs and sugars but the same calcium content plus had added potassium that milk lacks. Throw all those together as meals. When you go to the gym, lift as hard as you can with good form and with intensity. It will get easier as time goes on and you'll start to see results.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Good luck though!
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 also offered good advice :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    that means nothing.

and if you have to post your credentials to prove what a genius you are, chances are you are not as smart as you think you are.
    It has to do with me knowing how stressful or stressless going to an ivy league school can be, not my credentials for "genius". There can definitely be stressed out Ivy League students. Your typical one comes from a high income household. The point is to address that I'm being called out as supposedly making assumptions about someone, while someone is making assumptions about me, and about Ivy League students.

rgz5n7z4y8cz.jpg

• FitForL1fe
    Options
    that means nothing.

rgz5n7z4y8cz.jpg

lol I guess you felt that pic didn't carry enough weight the first time you posted it :trollface:
  • blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    hmm

When I get to the Ms World final I think my final wish for mankind will not be world peace but that people will frickin' agree on relevant macros

(I may be a mite cocky for a 48 year old mum of 2 :bigsmile:)[/

Ms world
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    that means nothing.

Someone cared, obviously, since they have been replying to him.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    that means nothing.

somehow I doubt that replying means anyone cares
  • senecarr
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    that means nothing.

What you did there, I see it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    So basically you have an overall goal of cut body fat, try to preserver or gain muscle?
    I second some version of Starting Strength, such as original, strong lifts, ice cream fitness / jason blaha program, or any number of variants.
    At 19, assuming you don't have much else going on in your life, you can probably get away with doing the full versions of the programs while doing maintenance calories or a slight deficit, just make sure you get rest.

Well, that makes no sense at all. Wow.
    I mean much else as in stressors, things that will fatigue his CNS.
    At 19, what are the chances he has kids, a career (not a job, a career), a long term partner with shared property, a home to maintain, aging parents that need his help, etc., etc. Any number of things that generate stress and obligations that force schedules on him.
    Sure, I thought my life had stress at 19. Mid 30s me would laugh at 19 year old me's idea of stress.
    I'm also going to assume anyone serious about it that has the actual free time to perform the activity needed to burn enough calories to go through 15 lb of fat in a month has already freed himself up for such a goal.

Approaching my mid-60s, I would laugh at a mid-30 year old's idea of stress.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    So basically you have an overall goal of cut body fat, try to preserver or gain muscle?
    I second some version of Starting Strength, such as original, strong lifts, ice cream fitness / jason blaha program, or any number of variants.
    At 19, assuming you don't have much else going on in your life, you can probably get away with doing the full versions of the programs while doing maintenance calories or a slight deficit, just make sure you get rest.

At 19, what are the chances he has kids, a career (not a job, a career), a long term partner with shared property, a home to maintain, aging parents that need his help, etc., etc. Any number of things that generate stress and obligations that force schedules on him.
    Sure, I thought my life had stress at 19. Mid 30s me would laugh at 19 year old me's idea of stress.
    I'm also going to assume anyone serious about it that has the actual free time to perform the activity needed to burn enough calories to go through 15 lb of fat in a month has already freed himself up for such a goal.

Jumping on the stress bandwagon, sorry op :smile:
    But my life now at 43 is much less stressful than in my early 20's. By the time I was 21 I had 2 little kids, a mortgage and a full time job.

Now I barely have a mortgage left, my kids are grown and I work from home. I have zero stress and responsibilities right now.
    I'm glad I got it all over and done with back then!

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Thank goodness I'm 40... "The stress-free age".

God help me once I turn 41
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Which is why stress is subjective. Stress for me, having child support take all my money from my last check since I didn't work have a full pay check since being allowed to return from disability only to be pulled from work after 2 full days. Not stress, blood and death because I deal with it on a daily basis. We all see stress differently.

Grrrrrrrr child support... Not all women suck the life out of their exes. I never took one single penny from my kids dad!

• senecarr
    Options
    Guys are all bumming me out. I was sure in two years, at 35, my body would stop producing glucocortisoids.