What do you all do to strengthen willpower???

Options
I used to be super strict with my diet but it seems that sugar has gotten the best of me lately (normally only at night) and I feel like I go in zombie mode... How do you guys strengthen your willpower? :)

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Honestly... it was sobering news from the doctor that did it. She found that I'd become prediabetic and that my cholesterol/lipids were abysmal. The threat of full blown diabetes is pretty much all it takes, especially considering that I'm already dealing with some of the symptoms such as sugar crashes if I don't eat precisely to schedule.

At night, if I feel like I'm going to go out of control and eat extra calories, I go to bed instead, even if it's earlier than normal. I can't eat things while asleep.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why are you being "super strict" - are you going to be super strict with your diet for the rest of your life, or are you going to live a lifestyle that is healthy but normal..... Sugar is not the devil, and if you are not diabetic, you can have it (like most other things) in moderation....
    Maybe you won't have to strengthen your willpower if you don't but crazy strict limitations on yourself...I lost almost 60 lbs and kept it off and still had something sweet every day, and pizza and wine on weekends....
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Are you concerned that you're eating sugar at all or is the nighttime snacking pushing you over your calorie goals?

I agree with astrampe. You should be eating now like you're planning to eat once you reach your goal, just less calories. If you normally like sugary treats, then have some, just in moderation. If you find that you can't control yourself around sugar, well, that's something you need to learn to deal with, one way or the other, and it's best to do it now while you're still working your way to your goal. Otherwise, you'll reach goal and then just gain all of the weight back because you haven't learned to maintain it.
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind the goal. For me, it's getting back into my pre-pregnancy clothes, so I just try to remind myself that eating more calories might feel good right now, but not being able to wear my clothes when I go back to work after maternity leave is going to feel really bad for much longer.
  • mollyyy125
    mollyyy125 Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Learn to identify if you're actually hungry or just bored. If you're not actually hungry, try and occupy your time with something else - make a cup of yummy favoured tea instead, for example. Try and remember that a snack might occupy you/entertain you for a few minutes but as soon as it's gone you'll be back at square one.

I snack a lot at my job, usually out of boredom, and something I've started forcing myself to do first is think "how will I feel after I eat this?" If I am truly hungry and have the calories for it, the answer is probably "fine". If I just had lunch and am just looking for something to entertain me until I have to start working again, the answer is probably "uncomfortably full" and thinking about spending the afternoon with that feeling is enough to convince myself to skip the snack or at least hold off until I've earned some extra calories.

You can also just try saving some extra calories for a reasonable evening snack. You'll enjoy looking forward to it and it will be guilt free since you've made room for it in your day :)
  • MR_STRATTON
    MR_STRATTON Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I plan my food for the entire day in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

I add the foods that I would like to have and if I am way over in one area, I modify my menu to adjust. For example, the other night, I wanted a yam for dinner, which put my sugars way too high. So, I changed to a rice\quinea mixture which brought my nutrients closer to the suggested balance. I put my dessert in first, then build around it. Then regardless of what I have chosen to eat throughout the day, I always have my reward waiting for me.

I still have to convince myself that exercise will allow me to add more calories to my day. I'm still working on that one.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    While I believe that there is such a thing as willpower, I think it needs considerable assistance. I do not buy or usually stay in the presence of foods that I don't want to eat. I am moderate in my plan so that I can enjoy all of the foods I like. And I review my goals frequently so that I can remember why I am choosing to eat well and exercise.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I've read that "willpower" as we think of it needs to be exercised like a muscle: regular, consistent use to train it to be stronger. I'm not sure if I buy that from a science standpoint (I haven't read a study on it), but from my own, personal, anecdotal evidence, the thought seems to have some merit.

I find moderation helps with this. Moderation to me: I eat the foods I enjoy, but in portion sizes that fit my budget. I eat 3x per day, and each meal is a chance to exercise my willpower. In addition, there are usually opportunities each day to exercise it further when tasty looking things are left lying around the house. (Case in point: last might my wife made bread-pizza for the kids, and some of it was left out when I got home. I love makeshift pizza on a slice of homemade bread... but I exercised my willpower and didn't eat any).

I find, for myself, the more frequently I make a good choice and exercise my willpower, the easier it is to do it the next time, and the time after that. It snowballs a little bit. I suppose one could say this is how you form a habit.

All of that said: I think it's also about putting yourself in a position to succeed. Trying to be "really strict" is something humans aren't good at. That's not a successful position to try and maintain. For us to maintain anything over a long period of time, we have to pace ourselves. Moderation is the key, not swinging wildly in either direction (strict eating, or binging).
  • carriefeidt
    carriefeidt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Why are you being "super strict" - are you going to be super strict with your diet for the rest of your life, or are you going to live a lifestyle that is healthy but normal..... Sugar is not the devil, and if you are not diabetic, you can have it (like most other things) in moderation....
    Maybe you won't have to strengthen your willpower if you don't but crazy strict limitations on yourself...I lost almost 60 lbs and kept it off and still had something sweet every day, and pizza and wine on weekends....

I mean I didn't have bad sugar cravings every week and then they decided to sprout within the last half a year. I simply didn't crave it so i guess you could consider my old diet strictly healthy. But that's what my dad said too... That I shouldn't put limitations on myself. I just am Afraid I will go out of control...
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I plan my food for the entire day in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

I add the foods that I would like to have and if I am way over in one area, I modify my menu to adjust. For example, the other night, I wanted a yam for dinner, which put my sugars way too high. So, I changed to a rice\quinea mixture which brought my nutrients closer to the suggested balance. I put my dessert in first, then build around it. Then regardless of what I have chosen to eat throughout the day, I always have my reward waiting for me.

I still have to convince myself that exercise will allow me to add more calories to my day. I'm still working on that one.

I also pre-log. I do it the night before (since I tend to eat a lot of the same meals so it's easy to "copy meal" from today). Then I edit as needed, but it's nice to see a plan laid out for me each day.

There are a lot of tricks to minimize the need to use willpower. Such as limiting how many types and the amount of sugary food you bring into the house (it's totally fine to plan on eating them, but if you have a whole pantry full of them, it can be too tempting). When you do buy it, keep it off the counter and out of sight. Pre-log your sweets so you know exactly what your portion will be, and then measure it out, possibly put it on a plate, sit down and enjoy it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I eat well and have a very nutritious and balanced diet...and I eat desert most evenings and some pizza now and then, etc. I enjoy eating well, working out, and indulgences...it's a realistic way for me to eat...don't need a whole lot of "will power" here.

My guess is that your diet is far too restrictive to begin with and not very sustainable.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not about food. If I'm going off the rails with eating, it's usually a sign that something else is going on in my life that I need to address. I tend to go overboard when I'm stressed, or overwhelmed, or just whelmed, or just not in control of what's going on in my life. The reality for me is that I only have a finite amount of willpower, and if I'm using it to keep from strangling someone, there's not much left to keep me from scarfing down food by the fistful. So I take a step back, evaluate where my focus needs to be in my life, and go from there. Sometimes something needs to give in my life, and often the diet and exercise are the only thing that can without massive repercussions.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I make it a non-issue by not keeping my triggers in the house and by filling up on nutritious, satiating foods. That takes some experimenting with macros, too
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    My usual strategy is avoid ever letting things be about will, make it about planning.
    If you know ahead of time that sugar cravings are a night time thing, set up a plan to eat a large amount of highly filling, low calorie things close to that time.
  • carriefeidt
    carriefeidt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are all so helpful and I really appreciate you all taking the time to read my question, these responses really helped a lot and I will be looking back to this multiple times to motivate myself, it is nice to have a little community like this ❤️
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think I have a fair amount of will power. However, I do some things which make it easier.
    I don't have a strict diet.
    I prelog all my food for the whole day which helps me not to go overboard or get surprised. I know I don't have room for that extra thing today but I could plan to have it tomorrow.
    I plan meals. I know I get hungry in the afternoon or evening so I plan 1-2 snacks that fit in my calorie goal.
    If I am eating at a restaurant I look up the menu in advance.
    I do better putting my portion of food in a bowl or on a plate and leaving the kitchen with it. Eating out of containers or having the food within easy reach makes it easy to just keep eating.
    I put food away in cabinets or the refrigerator. The only food sitting out is a bowl of fruit.
    I remind myself how far I've come and why I am doing this. That is much more important than eating something that will be too many calories.
    I don't stress about being perfect. If I do go over one day then I look at my calories for the whole week.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For me it is very simple and short

"I have and there are no excuse(s) for me to not lose this weight and get healthier and fitter!"

~Barnowlgirl~
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Here's a recent post on the MFP blog on willpower: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/so-you-want-to-stop-craving-junk-food/
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    They've been mentioned already, but pre-logging and not keeping food that tempts me to overeat are key for me.

Generally, I find if I make decisions ahead of time, I choose what gets me closer to my goals. If I fly by the seat of my pants, I do what I feel like at that moment.

And if I really really want a treat that I don't normally keep in the house, I will get off my butt and go buy one serving and eat it. If I don't want it bad enough to walk to the store for it, I don't want it that bad. I'm not about denying myself, I just don't want to make it easy for me to sabotage my goals.