Informal Poll: Mean People

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    While I was still a bit above the normal BMI range, my mother-in-law -- stereotypically -- started commenting negatively. It's probably just a coincidence that people were starting to comment positively on my weight loss rather than hers. It mattered to me precisely 0.00.

Generally, people don't say much out of line to me in person.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my RBF, no one has ever said anything of that nature to me directly. I'm sure my in-laws have a few things to say amongst themselves about my weight and fitness habits, but as they say, other people's opinions of me are none of my business.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've never heard mean comments. My friends are all decent folk.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've never heard mean comments. My friends are all decent folk.

You're assuming only friends comment on each others bodies, not strangers or minor acquaintances.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I've had the odd infrequent comment since I got under BMI 21. To be fair only a handful of people have ever made comments, and I think at least 50% of them were actually just teasing or trying to give me an awkward compliment. Coincidentally or not, all of them were female. Only one close friend has ever said anything which really upset me.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I've heard both sides of it, usually from classmates or "well-meaning" co-workers. When I was morbidly obese, had already lost 100 lbs, and was still getting "why don't you take care of yourself" (usually not phrased nearly that politely) bs from people who didn't know jack about anything I had already done. And nothing boosts your self-esteem like some asshat yelling "fat *kitten*" out a car window when you're walking down the sidewalk 10 sizes smaller than you were the year before.

When I was first at my normal weight, comments asking if I was sick or if I had talked to the doctor about something being wrong. Those got better once I'd been at maintenance for a while, and people adjusted their mental image to the current one.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    While I was still a bit above the normal BMI range, my mother-in-law -- stereotypically -- started commenting negatively. It's probably just a coincidence that people were starting to comment positively on my weight loss rather than hers. It mattered to me precisely 0.00.

Same here. Then again, I've been told I give off a "back off" vibe in general, so maybe people say things behind my back. Don't know. Don't care. It always surprises me how many rude comments people get and how many people have food pushers in their lives. I've never encountered either one of these things.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Same here. Then again, I've been told I give off a "back off" vibe in general, so maybe people say things behind my back. Don't know. Don't care. It always surprises me how many rude comments people get and how many people have food pushers in their lives. I've never encountered either one of these things.
    I'm 6'9", fairly large, don't smile a lot, and have a subwoofer kind of voice. I've literally made kids cry just by being there. Even without the long hair anymore, I'm told my vibe is "don't poke the bear, don't even do something that might annoy him." It works for me.

• _pragma_
    _pragma_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    People don't say mean things to me. Then again, I am over 6 feet tall and can squat fo-fiddy. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    No one's said anything negative about my weight loss that I know about. I got plenty of negative comments being fat.
  • BZAH10
    Options

I'm 6'9", fairly large, don't smile a lot, and have a subwoofer kind of voice. I've literally made kids cry just by being there. Even without the long hair anymore, I'm told my vibe is "don't poke the bear, don't even do something that might annoy him." It works for me.

Oh, your poor kids! I laughed, though. That's funny. I'm the opposite: 5'1" and small, but I have the same demeanor so I understand. I have an addiction to expensive sunglasses and therefore am guilty of keeping them on when I'm inside somewhere like a store, so since people can't make eye contact they pretty much just leave me alone. Someone gave me a coffee cup one time that says, "Are you SURE you want to get on my last nerve today?"
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Oh, your poor kids! I laughed, though. That's funny. I'm the opposite: 5'1" and small, but I have the same demeanor so I understand. I have an addiction to expensive sunglasses and therefore am guilty of keeping them on when I'm inside somewhere like a store, so since people can't make eye contact they pretty much just leave me alone. Someone gave me a coffee cup one time that says, "Are you SURE you want to get on my last nerve today?"
    Well, in fairness, it's been other people's kids. Like at the mall a kid will be about eye-high to my thighs. He'll look up to my head. He'll look down. He'll look back up and start crying. Good times.

• BZAH10
    Options

Well, in fairness, it's been other people's kids. Like at the mall a kid will be about eye-high to my thighs. He'll look up to my head. He'll look down. He'll look back up and start crying. Good times.

Nothing like being a spectacle in public, right? Well, those kids need to toughen up and face reality at some point.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I kinda thought this thread was going to be about mean people on mfp. :/

I don't think anyone's ever said anything mean to me. My coworker has said she thinks I should stop trying to lose weight but she doesn't see my naked stomach and thighs :tongue:

There's also the fact there aren't many people I actually talk to....
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Never, apart from the obligatory "you need to eat more" from grandparents, but everyone knows they'd always say that regardless of anything.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Everyone has been actually really supportive about my weight loss. I'm the one who pulls myself apart and think I look awful. Lol
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I get it all the time from my mother in law, starting from day two. If I eat something healthy, I'm "doing that diet **** again." If I eat like a regular person I hear "pssh, that'll make you fat." Weighing food? I'm obsessive over this/giving myself an eating disorder. But you know what? I don't care. She is depressed about her weight and has no motivation to do anything about it. I just ignore it and continue on my way to being fabulous
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was actually told by a coworker last year, and I quote, "You'd be a really pretty girl if you'd lose some of that weight". I act like it doesn't bother me, but part of my motivation is losing this weight by January which is when I return to work.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    at no point...

given the number of times I've read through threads like this, I've largely deduced that this is a female thing...

No point for me either, haven't noticed it being a female thing, but some people are even offended by compliments. So weird.