• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Day 10 Completed
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Okay, sooooo...

I decided to see if and how eating a 1000-calorie deficit could be bad.

For background, I count my weight as the lowest one I see on the scale as I go down, and I'm not recording again until I see a lower one because it gets awkward when I "lose" half a pound to a pound every other day on my feed (as the weight is bouncing up again on the other days!).

Current weight: 141.
    Lean body mass: Right around 100lbs.

There's a maximum rate at which fat can be metabolized. Rounding down to a safe number (because as I go higher, my body will start to prefer to burn muscle), that's about 27 Calories per pound of fat that I'm carrying. This means that RIGHT NOW, I should be averaging no more than ~1100 Calories deficit.

I'm doing lower than that right now. But it means over time, my deficit will shrink--once I hit 137lbs, it has to, to not start losing muscle. So then I'll be counting additive 1000 calories. :)

I'm out for today. I stupidly had a ton of diary yesterday and a prescription strength NSAID for my shoulders. Forgot what that combo did to my stomach. :P So no NSAIDs or milk for me today...and not too much movement.
  • palwithme
    Options
    Day 11 Completed
  • palwithme
    Options
    Okay, sooooo...

For background, I count my weight as the lowest one I see on the scale as I go down, and I'm not recording again until I see a lower one because it gets awkward when I "lose" half a pound to a pound every other day on my feed (as the weight is bouncing up again on the other days!).

There's a maximum rate at which fat can be metabolized. Rounding down to a safe number (because as I go higher, my body will start to prefer to burn muscle), that's about 27 Calories per pound of fat that I'm carrying. This means that RIGHT NOW, I should be averaging no more than ~1100 Calories deficit.

I'm doing lower than that right now. But it means over time, my deficit will shrink--once I hit 137lbs, it has to, to not start losing muscle. So then I'll be counting additive 1000 calories. :)

I'm out for today. I stupidly had a ton of diary yesterday and a prescription strength NSAID for my shoulders. Forgot what that combo did to my stomach. :P So no NSAIDs or milk for me today...and not too much movement.

Interesting. Do you have a link or something to an article on this? I would like to read more about it.
  • palwithme
    Options
    According to the calculation of 27 calories for every pound of fat, my max. deficit is 1,295 a day.
  • palwithme
    Options
    Day 12 Completed
  • palwithme
    Options
    Day 13 Completed
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    Okay, sooooo...

Interesting. Do you have a link or something to an article on this? I would like to read more about it.

You're friends with me! It's on my blog. :D Latest post with the research article citation.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm cheating a bit and calling Day 9--2 days of 500 deficits + one day of 900 is close enough!

Also...140lbs! Woot!
  • chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join in with you if it's ok. I have about 18lbs to my goal. Aint to sure how far into this you are along but i do have 62 days until my girls holiday break. So far ive been losing 1lbs a week which im happy about. Last week it was 2lbs as i was more stricter on my self. I still have treats i workout to p90x3. which ill have to do after dinner today.

My aimed is to see 130lbs on the scales im sitting at 147.5lbs as of today.

So if it's ok ill gonna tag along with you :) vc e
  • palwithme
    Options
    I'd like to join in with you if it's ok. I have about 18lbs to my goal. Aint to sure how far into this you are along but i do have 62 days until my girls holiday break. So far ive been losing 1lbs a week which im happy about. Last week it was 2lbs as i was more stricter on my self. I still have treats i workout to p90x3. which ill have to do after dinner today.

My aimed is to see 130lbs on the scales im sitting at 147.5lbs as of today.

So if it's ok ill gonna tag along with you :) vc e

Great! And thanks for the friend request. Welcome to the challenge. Glad to have you with us.
  • chrisssiex23x
    Options
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Day 10. Massive bloating starting early this month. Not going to lose an ounce for weeks. :P
  • palwithme
    Options
    Day 14 Completed
  • maximumcutie
    maximumcutie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Day 1 - I agree with the combined days strategy since it's not good to go hard core on exercise every day - at least not if you're trying to get back into shape. Gotta let your muscles recouperate. But I went swimming and played volleyball today so I had the 1000 calorie deficit. :)
  • chrisssiex23x
    Options
    Crap.
    forgot to log back here yesterday. may need to set this page as a favorite to my task bar lol

I've lost 1.5lbs so far this week so im gonna push my self today see if i can shred about 0.5 off for tomorrow.

On Day 3 now :) If i count 25th as day1 lol
  • palwithme
    Options
    Day 15 Completed
  • palwithme
    Options
    Crap.
    forgot to log back here yesterday. may need to set this page as a favorite to my task bar lol

I've lost 1.5lbs so far this week so im gonna push my self today see if i can shred about 0.5 off for tomorrow.

On Day 3 now :) If i count 25th as day1 lol

You are doing great.
  • OhioGuy37
    OhioGuy37 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    <--- has a Charge HR
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Day 11, by the skin of my teeth.