Ketogenic Diet

Options
PPumpItUp
PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
Have any of you been on a ketogenic diet? What are your experiences with it? How long were you on the diet?

Replies

• PPumpItUp
    Options
    yes
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    Have any of you been on a ketogenic diet? What are your experiences with it? How long were you on the diet?

Been on keto for nearly two years now. The best choice I ever made.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Some people do really well on it. Others - not so much. Keto is very, very restrictive, to the point where you're peeing on sticks and weighing every carb and fat gram. Because it's so restrictive, some people find it difficult to follow and end up "falling out" of ketosis. When that happens, you have to restrict again to get back in it (it usually takes 2-3 days to do this.)

I'm not interested in it after watching my roommate try it. He couldn't stay away from the carbs, so he'd get into Keto, do good for about a week, fail tragically by eating a box of donuts and a pizza over a weekend, and then struggle to get back into Keto. (BTW - it's pretty easy to slip out with less of a binge than that.) Every time he worked to get back into Keto, his energy would tank (I've heard this happens for a couple of days in the beginning). But because he failed so often, he was a walking zombie during more of the diet than he was normal. He looked absolutely miserable most of the time.

He only wanted to do Keto for 8 weeks. He lasted about 5. He did lose weight on it though - can't deny it; I just think there are easier, less restrictive ways. (CICO)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    there is a keto group that may have more information for you, though it's not overly active in there
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

there is also a low carb group with tons of info
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    Thanks for the information
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for the past 11 days. I've lost 7lb (water weight, yeah, yeah). I've been getting really full on around 800 - 1000 calories and making myself eat more. I love that the food is so filling.

The big downside for me is the sugar cravings, but I suppose I'd likely be having those anyway. I haven't given in so far, because going in and out of ketosis doesn't seem like fun and I've heard it stalls you a lot. I have noticed a small dip in energy but I was VERY active before, so I'm scaling back a little for the first 2 weeks to get adjusted and next week I'll see how I feel adding more stuff back in.

If you do decide to try it I'd say give it at least 2 weeks. I've heard it's great once the carb cravings stop.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm

Bodybuilding is a pretty good resource

They really advocate doing it once in a while.

I have read on and thought about it

It would be interesting to see how you think it works.

• HampshireMan
    HampshireMan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There's a book by Johnny Bowden called "Living Low Carb" that I found really interesting (went for the audio book) that goes into the background and science of Ketosis and low carb diets more generally. I found it useful and informative, but that's just imho.