Weight loss flow chart... 2.0!

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Same feedback as for v1, excellent vision, phenomenal concept. Don't over complicate it. It's great!

Ok I do have some feedback hehe. So you mention invest in a food scale. I've been seeing and loving some posts that highlight the cost of one being around $10, $12, or $20. Many of the people being helped do not realize the cost and think it's this huge thing that'll cost them a lot. If you could somehow briefly highlight the price range, that could be a nice addition

Haha, that was in my initial version, but changed it after getting some other feedback... can't even remember why at this point. Anyway, I feel that since this is to be used in a forum, any additional concerns can still be addressed by people. I tried to keep it as simple as possible but it's still too wordy!

Try "as low as $10", or "< $20" for low word count

I think I'm happy with the version I have for the time being. I've already updated it 5 times haha, and I've been procrastinating getting my uni work done!

Well, you of course do not have to implement every suggestion you're given. However a) you're still reading the thread. And b) making the update would have taken less time than typing the response. You don't have to give me a reason. It's your post, do what you want. :)
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Same feedback as for v1, excellent vision, phenomenal concept. Don't over complicate it. It's great!

Ok I do have some feedback hehe. So you mention invest in a food scale. I've been seeing and loving some posts that highlight the cost of one being around $10, $12, or $20. Many of the people being helped do not realize the cost and think it's this huge thing that'll cost them a lot. If you could somehow briefly highlight the price range, that could be a nice addition

Haha, that was in my initial version, but changed it after getting some other feedback... can't even remember why at this point. Anyway, I feel that since this is to be used in a forum, any additional concerns can still be addressed by people. I tried to keep it as simple as possible but it's still too wordy!

Try "as low as $10", or "< $20" for low word count

I think I'm happy with the version I have for the time being. I've already updated it 5 times haha, and I've been procrastinating getting my uni work done!

Well, you of course do not have to implement every suggestion you're given. However a) you're still reading the thread. And b) making the update would have taken less time than typing the response. You don't have to give me a reason. It's your post, do what you want. :)

It takes a bit longer due to the program I'm using not being that intuitive, and an issue I had where I lost the raw file of the version with the bolded text. I'm still taking on feedback, I just might not get around to making any more changes until the end of the week. I was changing and exporting it each time someone made a comment before, but I'd rather wait and make all the changes at once :)
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Awesome flow chart!!!!!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Here is a more complete version. It also addresses the issue where people's TDEE is lower than estimated and they're doing everything right, in this case they wouldn't be losing weight either. Also addresses the issue of having realistic expectations for weight loss and a reasonable calorie deficit.

Due to the size it might be slightly blurry for some. If you have difficulty seeing it, here's the link, you can zoom in on it.The resolution is high, so it's nice and clear.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MlEgY5q9lgSjJzeUJsNFBlazA/view?usp=sharing

This is good too, and it additionally addresses the potential problem of excess cortisol raised by yourself and @EvgeniZyntx . I was initially thinking this scenario would be covered by the 'see your doctor' section of the original chart, but on reflection I'm not sure if this is something that would even be routinely checked by a GP?
    I didn't see @EvgeniZyntx post originally. I went back to see it. It's a good post. I am glad someone who is respected chimed in on the subject. I am not sure if a doctor would look in to cortisol levels for lack of weight loss. They might look in to hormonal issues which can address cortisol in general, but I am not sure if a doctor would be aware of the effects of cortisol on weight loss.

Plus getting accurate cortisol results, in my experience, can be quite a complex matter. Personally I've had several different tests done over the years at the request of my endocrinologist, from the simple 9am blood draw to one where I was hospitalized as a day patient and given insulin injections to check the cortisol response over a period of hours. So yeah, I think this is something a GP could easily miss.

In general, not necessary for someone stuck in weightloss. It's usually an acute response to a new *aggressive* program, new diet. Wait it out can work or just eating a bit more, drinking water, getting sleep dialed in. Seeing a doc after a few weeks doesn't make sense if it's only for that.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    It's like going on a trip. Do you identify first where are we going and how are we getting there?

Mostly not, usually.

Or do you wander about in the desert for a while?

Yes. For me vacations are about discovery, and that means minimal planning. Many do the same - many do differently.

If you prefer an alternate flow - I'm totally cool with you making your own version and putting diamonds wherever you like. :drinker:

Uh huh. So you leave home without even knowing where the airport, coffee shop or even the road is. Otay. Good luck with that. :huh:

My reco was to the op, originator of the flow chart - not to the various water-downed (and, in my own opinion) weaker versions. But thanks for the permission.
  • booombeeeem
    booombeeeem Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Awesome. :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    bacon_zps38dbe060.jpg

(Just had to post in this thread again since I love the OP's flowchart so much!)
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Excellent flow chart, should be pinned. BUT - the questions will still be asked ;)
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Nicely done! I'm sharing in another weight-loss support group. http://redd.it/3911qu
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Excellent flow chart, should be pinned. BUT - the questions will still be asked ;)

I don't need this flowchart for myself, but I'm bookmarking it because it's a good way to help others in my conversation.

After months of helping others, I'm convinced that many people prefer to have a conversation about themselves, and -- for whatever reason -- they prefer not to read and research through 90% of data they don't need to find the 10% that they do need. That's cool.

Great tool, either way!

• Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It is awesome! My only complaint is you spelled "medication" wrong in the lowest blue box - it says "metication". :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    bloody88 wrote: »
    @Pu_239
    Here is a more complete version. It also addresses the issue where people's TDEE is lower than estimated and they're doing everything right, in this case they wouldn't be losing weight either. Also addresses the issue of having realistic expectations for weight loss and a reasonable calorie deficit.
    if you or anyone else has suggestions on wording/typos message me.
    The OP started a thread. He/She already stated that he/she will edit the chart during the weekend due to lack of time. If you want to make a chart of your own to link on forums you should make a blog post or another thread while mentioning the OP. Otherwise give ideas to the OP and he/she will judge if the additions that you want are essential.
    While you are trying to be helpful most likely it seems like you are trying to prove that your chart is better and somewhat take "credits" for it which ends up being rude towards the OP.

I felt the chart was lacking something, she posted hers, I gave her feed back. She didn't agree, so I made my own. Look at what's happening. Mr_knight posted his before I posted mine. Why am I the only one being singled out? Mr_knight got feed back on his chart, he had a minor discussion about it. I got feed back on mine. I replied to it. Just as Mr_knight replied to his feed back. Yet I am the one who is being singled out? I am being flame-baited/trolled at the moment. The only reason I am really replying to you(you're doing the same thing) so people can get the message of what they're doing. That's why i am ignoring some of the posts. I will not take the bait. I ignored a few people but they keep on replying. Maybe they will get the hint.

Last night a lean girl was in a supposed deficit of 300-500 cals a day. She wanted to lose 4lbs. She logged accurately, and wasn't losing weight. Her issue wouldn't have been address on the OP's flow chart. Why? Because she was eating too much. That small deficit, is highly error prone, her activity tracker isn't 100% accurate, food labels can be off by 5-10%, plus no one is going to be 100% perfect with logging, there is error in that too. Showed her my flow chart, she realized she was eating too much. Once again it's not about "who's is better" it's about helping people achieve their goals. The flow chart should be complete. (who's ever flow chart is being used)

The flow chart is a good idea, as I told the OP. I have nothing against her, or anything. You're right she does deserve credit. I will update it with the error corrections and put something along the lines of "Original idea by _____"(forgot her user name) on the flow chart.

no, because you started arguing with OP about calorie intakes and then you got smacked down you proceeded to create your own flow chart to one up the OP and hijack her thread.

mr knight just took her chart and reformatted it into an easier view..

you took the idea and created your own to one up the OP = hijacking, which is against forum rules.

just stop trying to make every thread about you and you wont get into these arguments.

Pleas start your own thread with your own flow chart.

• bloody88
    bloody88 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am being flame-baited/trolled at the moment. The only reason I am really replying to you(you're doing the same thing) so people can get the message of what they're doing.
    Well if that's why you think i replied to you then you got it all wrong. I was trying to point out in a polite way, that it was rude towards the OP. And maybe change the way that the topic is going.. Seems i didn't do much since you are replying in a defensive way.
    I am off.. Feel free to continue arguing with each other.. Pretty sure that's what the OP wanted when she made the thread...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's like going on a trip. Do you identify first where are we going and how are we getting there?

Mostly not, usually.

Or do you wander about in the desert for a while?

Yes. For me vacations are about discovery, and that means minimal planning. Many do the same - many do differently.

If you prefer an alternate flow - I'm totally cool with you making your own version and putting diamonds wherever you like. :drinker:

Uh huh. So you leave home without even knowing where the airport, coffee shop or even the road is. Otay. Good luck with that. :huh:

Mostly, yes. Why I would look up and store that stuff ahead of time when I know Google will tell me what I need to know, when I need to know it?

But thanks for the permission.

You're welcome! :drinker:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Mostly, yes. Why I would look up and store that stuff ahead of time when I know Google will tell me what I need to know, when I need to know it?

I use paper maps when I need them, and I like to get lost on purpose. Most of the time, Google isn't all that useful when I travel internationally, 'cause I usually don't have a data plan and up until last year I never owned a smartphone.

When you look up from your screen and see what's in front of you, that's when you truly have a good time during travel.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

...I like to get lost on purpose.

Me too. Best way to experience the unexpected. And its so easy now, because you know that pretty much anywhere you are where there are people, you'll always be able to find your way back.

:drinker:

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I knew there was going to be a lot of typos. You know how when you type and spell check makes a squiggly red line under the misspelled word? Notice how all those boxes are in red? I couldn't see the typos.

What I mean by a reasonable calorie deficit is compared to a TDEE calculator. For example. I just checked mine according to IIFYM.com. Mine is 2,640. If I am out there burning 1000 calories a day doing cardio, with a 900 cal deficit from diet and I am not getting results. Then follow the chart. Total theoretical deficit is 1.900, which is unreasonable for most people. Maybe it should say, "Is your diet and/or exercise combined producing a reasonable calorie deficit according to estimated TDEE?" if you or anyone else has suggestions on wording/typos message me.

That makes sense. Perhaps include the IIFYM url too if there's space.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @Pu_239
    The OP started a thread. He/She already stated that he/she will edit the chart during the weekend due to lack of time. If you want to make a chart of your own to link on forums you should make a blog post or another thread while mentioning the OP. Otherwise give ideas to the OP and he/she will judge if the additions that you want are essential.
    While you are trying to be helpful most likely it seems like you are trying to prove that your chart is better and somewhat take "credits" for it which ends up being rude towards the OP.

Actually if you read all the posts you'll see that OP invited anyone with better design software/skills to make their own version of the chart. She also stated that she had tried to think of a way to "include people who maybe lost a few pounds at first and then stalled" without overcomplicating things... which the alternative version covers. I think the goal is that everyone puts their heads together and collaborates to get the best possible chart, is it not...?

[edit] Everybody's name who contributed could go on it, if people feel it's that important (?)... personally I think that's a bit like being back in grade school, but whatever...

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    The chart is almost excellent ( to me) I really think that it must have. Do you weigh ALL your food on a food scale and dont go by serving sizes or cups and spoons.

People all answer YES when you ask them do you weigh everything on a food scale. And when you ask further...they dont.....
    They all think i use cups and spoons and serving sizes so i weigh accuratly
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    @Pu_239

Actually if you read all the posts you'll see that OP invited anyone with better design software/skills to make their own version of the chart. She also stated that she had tried to think of a way to "include people who maybe lost a few pounds at first and then stalled" without overcomplicating things... which the alternative version covers. I think the goal is that everyone puts their heads together and collaborates to get the best possible chart, is it not...?

[edit] Everybody's name who contributed could go on it, if people feel it's that important (?)... personally I think that's a bit like being back in grade school, but whatever...

this thread has been de railed enough....OP asked for suggestions to make it better not for a particular poster to create their own and insert it into this thread.