Coconut Oil?

Options

Replies

• JoannMichelle
    Options
  • danapenguin
    danapenguin Posts: 161
    Options
    my nurse and I cooked some sugar snap peas with it and it was pretty good!! Now I think we may try some mixed veggies! I odn't think I will eat it straight up again though lol I can't wait to try it on my hair tomorrow!
  • jjay23
    jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    can I get hold of this in the UK?
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook eggs. It's fantastic.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I add mine to decaf coffee, but I don't use it often. Usually just butter in coffee. Yeah I weird...
  • elliexgeorge
    Options

I just found it on Tesco's website :smile:

It's called Organic Virgin Coconut Oil and it costs £6.99 for 260ml jar.

I'm going to give it a try :smile:
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    haha! i tried it too as a spread and in coffee ....eeeuuuuwwww!

however ... i've discovered it varies between brands! I have a Fushi organic extra virgin oil that looks very pearly in the jar and i use for cooking and on my skin and its great (but i didn't like it as a spread at all).

Lucy Bees extra virgin coconut oil is a different matter altogether, its creamy, more like a butter, and absolutely delicious to eat as a spread (I use it pre-workout on ryvita pumpkin seed crackers).
  • jjay23
    jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I just found it on Tesco's website :smile:

It's called Organic Virgin Coconut Oil and it costs £6.99 for 260ml jar.

I'm going to give it a try :smile:

brilliant thank you so much, I will go onto the website now!
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i bought online from amazon.co.uk but Lucy Bees is in sainsburys with all the other oils :) It's £5.99 for a 300ml jar
  • vaangoin1
    vaangoin1 Posts: 16
    Options
    There are many nutrition factors in coconut oils also. It also good for health.
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113
    Options
    There are many nutrition factors in coconut oils also. It also good for health.

What nutrition factors? What specifically does it do for your health? Do you have any medical or journal articles referencing studies that show that it's good for health? I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm legitamately confused on the coconut oil craze. Mainly because it's so high in saturated fat and saturated fat has been proven to raise LDL and VLDL cholesterol levels. But then I've heard that it's a different type of saturated fat with more lauric acid than other saturated fatty acids and that consumption does not raise LDL but does raise HDL.
  • ironbutterf1y
    Options
    Bump!
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My friends mother eats a spoonfull of it a day.. supposedly it is good for you.. she is kind of crazy though! lol
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Well first of all you are eating it DIRECT.

Don't do that.

Put it in beans or rice (cooked stove top) or use it in a recipe.

You would not eat olive oil direct from a jar, would you?

Also it may be the brand. I get mine on Amazon and it's really good (organic). It's cheaper on there too.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I use it as a moisturizer and a deep conditioner on my hair about once a week.
  • robinschwalb
    robinschwalb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    this is great to know, thank u
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It's a basically healthy oil with pros and cons, but it's not magic. In fact, when you hear the claim "magic," you should be skeptical.

I've used a very small amount in coffee when I was doing intermittent Fasting. I don't mind the taste, but it's not something I'm tempted to eat spoonful after spoonful of. I have Spectrum Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.

As others have said, it can be used as a hair conditioner and a body moisturizer, but you have to like the smell.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I get mine from amazon.com and use it for cooking and shaving. it's great combined with toasted sesame oil for stirfry. :-) I use it to lube my legs before shaving and it's heavenly....good moisture.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil but I have never once been tempted to eat it with a spoon, use it as a spread, or put it in a beverage. I don't understand why you would do that instead of cooking with it unless you really really just love the taste?

My cat loves it straight from the jar, though. Whenever I get it out to cook she goes crazy and tries her best to get up on the counter to get to it. So maybe some of you are cats?