Coconut Oil?

Options

Replies

• Beautyandthebeef
    Options
    I am not sure that any oil really tastes all that good if you just take a spoonful of it hehe
  • optimisticShark
    optimisticShark Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Its very good for health and hair both. My mom use to apply it on my hair almost everyday regularly till 15 years and I had knee length healthy hair.

I stopped it later and my hair is in the worst condition now. I am planning to start on it again.

And yeah my friend, she always had her food cooked in coconut oil. She is healthy and has a very good skin as well.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I am planning on making pancakes for dinner tonight...think I will I use coconut oil instead of butter...think they're gonna be delicious!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Just use expeller-pressed coconut oil if you can't stand the coconut taste. That's what I usually do.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I have several jars...........1 in each bathroom, gallon in the kitchen.

We use it for everything........cooking, baking, hair conditioner, face cleanser, shaving, cleansing and moisturizing the face, make toothpaste, deodorant, etc.

^^this^^ I buy mine in the raw, jars from the farmer's market. Great makeup remover, and I can spoon it and eat it too, delicious. In my smoothies. Wonderful. Great for hair.

It also makes a great cleansing soap.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If you want to just eat it you need to buy the first cold pressed coconut oil. It has almost no flavor. It does have a slight buttery taste, but that's about it.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Just use expeller-pressed coconut oil if you can't stand the coconut taste. That's what I usually do.

This is what I meant.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    oh gross...lol but I rinse my mouth out with it, it's awesome for gum disease, I also use it as lotion, it seems to help with the loose skin, my arms, face and hands have all seemed to be a bit less saggy while using it. I'm loving it.
  • micabrito2012
    micabrito2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    FYI: Coconut Oil is very hard to get off of tile! Also, I accidently splatted my hand with hot coconut oil and quickly wiped it away and washed my hand. It burned.. and burned... and burned.... Until it was the sized of a quarter and blistered and ugly and it stay that way for a week. Kinda like a second degree burn. So be careful, it's healthy for your insides but bad on tile and really bad when hot and on your skin:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    After researching up on this "wonder oil" I decided to try it. So, I grabbed a spoon and took a "bite"... omg! its awful! So how do I overcome this?! suggestions?

You're supposed to cook and **** with it...not eat spoonfuls of it. Do you eat spoonfuls of butter or olive oil? I know people do eat spoonfuls of coconut oil, but it's just a stupid, weird trend that makes no sense. It's still ****ing fat...and I'm of the personal opinion that any fat that can remain solid at room temperature can't be exceedingly good for you. I eat the stuff sparingly...I use it often in lieu of butter...but I don't eat spoonfuls of it...that's just weird.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    make-up remover
    dry skin
    saute vegetables
    pop popcorn
    hair moisturizer
    cat hairball deterrant (mine LOVE it straight out of the jar)
  • gainesma
    gainesma Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It's got a soft texture until heat is put on it... so use it to cook in and you don't even taste it. It's a great oil for cooking also has a low smoke rate for cooking at higher temps. Coconut oil is great in that 50% of the oil you eat will be burned to provide energy. No other oil does this as well as coconut oil. Other oils you eat them and most of it goes from lips to hips. This one does not.

Another oil I want to try is red palm oil, it's very very high in antioxidant properties and considered very healthy. Research Dr. OZ's web site to learn more about both of these oils.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    After researching up on this "wonder oil" I decided to try it. So, I grabbed a spoon and took a "bite"... omg! its awful! So how do I overcome this?! suggestions?

You're supposed to cook and **** with it...not eat spoonfuls of it. Do you eat spoonfuls of butter or olive oil? I know people do eat spoonfuls of coconut oil, but it's just a stupid, weird trend that makes no sense. It's still ****ing fat...and I'm of the personal opinion that any fat that can remain solid at room temperature can't be exceedingly good for you. I eat the stuff sparingly...I use it often in lieu of butter...but I don't eat spoonfuls of it...that's just weird.

Coconut oil is free of cholesterol and trans-fats. It also contains lauric acid, which is a good thing.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It also makes a good leather shoe polish when you're short on time.
  • lheaton
    lheaton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Spread it on warm toast. If you still don't like it, add a little peanut butter on top of it.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    i use extra virgin coconut oil on my skin every morning. to fight the shrinking, dropping, stretch marks on the skin as i lose weight.

It works for that? Thanks for the tip!
  • MistynVT
    MistynVT Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Look up oil pulling. i do this and it is amazing! You take about 1 tbs and swish it for about 15-20 min. It pulls bacteria out of your mouth, so it doesn't end up in your gut. it has brightened my smile, and my dentist says it helps prevent cavities, and mouth sores etc as well as the added benefit of naturally whitening your teeth. :) I also use it in my baking/cooking, for moisturizer and hair. It's wonderful!
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Stir it into oat meal or other hot breakfast cereal.
    Try making granola with oats, nuts, flax seed, and a little coconut oil, cinnamon, and maple syrup.
    Try it with cooked sweet potatoes, hemp seed, cinnamon and a little salt.
    Use it instead of butter, especially in desserts.
    Wash your face with it (just smear it all over your face and then wipe off).
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Was using it instead of butter and my cholesterol & LDL cholesterol both went up a lot! Not so good! Was also eating 2 eggs a day. Even tho they say dietary cholesterol doesn't affect blood cholesterol, I am cutting back slightly on the eggs & eliminated the coconut oil for now to see what happens in 6 months.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Great for cooking certain dishes, especially Thai stir fry. Also can use it in tropical smoothies with some banana and pineapples. I also love it for my skin and every once in a while for a deep conditioner. Eating it plain is like eating a pat of butter plain :)