Coconut Oil?

Options

Replies

• jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Well first of all you are eating it DIRECT.

Don't do that.

Put it in beans or rice (cooked stove top) or use it in a recipe.

You would not eat olive oil direct from a jar, would you?

Also it may be the brand. I get mine on Amazon and it's really good (organic). It's cheaper on there too.

actually, yes, I do eat my extra virgin olive oil 'from a jar' ... well, a bottle! It's rather yummy for dipping bread and vegetables in ! And when I was a kid my mother would give us all Cod Liver Oil on a giant spoon - straight from the bottle (now that WAS pretty gross!)
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat it by the spoonful, as a spread or in tea and coffee like some can, it just does not sit well with me but I use it when I cook for any recipe that calls for oil (if I cannot do without it in the first place). It is especially good in baking. I also use it on my skin and for my hair.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could handle eating a spoonful of it either! (Never tried) :)

What I have done is putting a spoonful in a morning smoothie. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking, fry my eggs in it all the time, and it's awesome on popcorn. I don't eat by the spoonful, but I do lick the spoon after I scoop some out of the jar. It's tasty!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I chuckled when I read this! As others have said, would you eat butter or olive oil by the spoonful? I'm sure some people might, but you probably wouldn't. I know people who will eat a spoonful of virgin coconut oil when they're feeling low on energy. I LOVE the stuff, but I can't bring myself to eating it by the spoonful (or even spreading it on toast or putting a dollop in my smoothie). I use it in places where I might use olive oil in cooking - I use it to saute vegetables, roasted vegetables, fried eggs, etc. It provides a different taste than say olive oil, but it's mild. Try it like that!

And if you find you don't like the taste, you could always use it as moisturizer, shaving cream, makeup remover, hair conditioner, etc. etc. etc. I love my coconut oil.
  • DestinyS29
    DestinyS29 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook my eggs and veggies and I can't even taste it. I'm going to have to give it a try for shaving. But for those of you who use it for your hair I need some advice... this is what I originally bought it for but even after washing twice afterwards my hair was still so greasy for 2 days! Has anyone else had this problem?
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil i eat it by the spoonful if my blood sugar is high(it lowers blood sugar).But other wise i put it in my shake and cook with it.
    O i brush my teeth with it too,
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    Try oil pulling with it.

Don't know what it is? Google it :)
  • DestinyS29
    DestinyS29 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oil pulling.. huh who knew! Def. going to be trying this!
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I could eat virgin coconut oil by the spoonful............It is heavenly.

Did you buy refined coconut oil by chance???

Ditto.

I also love it in my green tea.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    you get it here in health shops and asian markets :) cheaper in the markets
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You took a bite of it? I just use it with cooking,

Definitely dont eat it by itself... its not olive oil, i like to cook Kale in, fish is really good cooked in it, but i absolute favorite thing is to dice up some sweet potatoe and sautee them with some shallots or red onion in coconut oil... ugh its freakin delicious. if your into that sort of a thing.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    oh yeah my dad also pops his popcorn in it instead of butter and its really super good. and he doesnt even like coconut.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You took a bite of it? I just use it with cooking,

Definitely dont eat it by itself... its not olive oil, i like to cook Kale in, fish is really good cooked in it, but i absolute favorite thing is to dice up some sweet potatoe and sautee them with some shallots or red onion in coconut oil... ugh its freakin delicious. if your into that sort of a thing.

You can eat it by itself, but too much might make you a tad queasy.

Scrambling eggs in it is delish!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I take a stick blender and blend it into my coffee- it comes out frothy and thick like a latte, I also make homemade dark chocolate with it- or make smoothies and add coconut oil- and I use it instead of butter- these are more pleasant ways of getting in your system than eating it straight.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I personally like coconut oil--i cook with it and it's nice and "lite". i haven't noticed it having a bad taste
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    lol you just ate it? i used it for cooking chicken when making thai food, or my eggs, or veggies.

i also moisturize my face with it sometimes!
  • SAH1906
    SAH1906 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hmm... learned a lot of uses in this tread. I put a spoonful of it in my breakfast green smoothie. REALLY good. I can't wait to try some of these other suggestions though!
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Try creamed coconut... addictive!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have several jars...........1 in each bathroom, gallon in the kitchen.

We use it for everything........cooking, baking, hair conditioner, face cleanser, shaving, cleansing and moisturizing the face, make toothpaste, deodorant, etc.

^^this^^ I buy mine in the raw, jars from the farmer's market. Great makeup remover, and I can spoon it and eat it too, delicious. In my smoothies. Wonderful. Great for hair.