Options
1235»

Replies

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    That's so weird. I order tea in the summer in the US all the time. Of course, I also order coffee (also hot), and that's really common. Don't know why tea would be different.

Yup...I order hot coffee allllll the time. Never had anyone even raise an eyebrow.

I don't really like cold drinks in general; for me tea and coffee especially should be HOT, even in summer. So far as water is concerned, I used to drink almost none during the day - even during my three-week vacation in Egypt, I only carried around a small bottle of water and barely touched it.

When I started my weight-loss project in December, one of the things I researched was water drinking, and have been trying to drink 8 helpings of 8 ounces every day. I can't vouch for what it does about weightloss, but I can say that I believe that hydrating has helped skin, hair and other aspects of my body (even the yucky patchy elbow skin is improving).

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Not drinking enough fluids leads to dehydration. Drinking too much affects your electrolytes. In between is a huge gap where you drink enough. The exact amount will vary from person to person but the 8 cups guideline is as good of a place to start as any. You will eventually find your "happy place" where you are getting enough for you. It is really hard to OD on water so if in doubt, drink!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's really simple: Lots of water helps you stay regular. You will eliminate more regularly which helps your metabolism!

Um, no. No matter how full of poop you are.

Btw, nice username. Real klassy. <rollseyes>
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I mostly dislike the idea that people need to be told to drink water, as I always drank a lot (plenty according to all relevant signs), but I guess it is helpful for some.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options

That's so weird. I order tea in the summer in the US all the time. Of course, I also order coffee (also hot), and that's really common. Don't know why tea would be different.

It could just have been where I was, or isolated incidents, but it's happened a few times. Normally it's, "Tea? You want hot tea? Are you sure?" Followed by a funny look. I've had one lady watch me drink it and shook her head like I was crazy! It was pretty amusing really. I'm sure not all Americans are like that though! :)
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I love drinking water and drink it often. I always have. I grew up in a household that didn't have soda or juices. If we did have juice it was really watered down Koolaid from the powder.
    That whole idea of 8 cups daily is on the same level as "don't eat before you go to bed" It's just been spread around for years so everyone just sort of believes it without researching into it more.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Myths take a looooong time to die, and there are a lot around here.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I am really surprised that so many people feel, if I understand correctly, that dehydration can be some kind of ongoing problem. I mean, probably some people have a totally damaged relationship with liquids, but if they do, their body is going to remind them very quickly and persistently. How come for millions of years primates and humans didn't have to "focus on hydration" and now all of a sudden we do - what changed in a couple of decades? Drinking lots of soda, tea, beer etc instead if water is not a detriment to hydration; actually from what I've read, as soon as humans learnt to make fermented beverages or teas they preferred them as much safer to drink than the kind of water they often had access to. Then there are whole tribes of people (and also many other mammals) that get most of their hydration from food...

I am not saying that no one is chronically dehydrated because they forget to drink - may be some people are, but I doubt how many they can really be.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    The govt said we need 8 glasses of water

They also put out the very fact based movie "Reefer Madness"

I believe,..
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I am old, and observing this odd behavior of having a water bottle near you 24/7. I have catagorized the need for a water bottle in groups.
    If you live in the desert, you might need a water bottle.
    If you have just exercised, you might need a water bottle.
    If you are on medication for something that might dehydrate you, you might need a water bottle.
    but.....
    If you are heading to a grocery store and are gone from you place for 30 minutes, you don't really need a water bottle.
    If you carry a water bottle as a fashion accessory, and have "blinged it up"...then you don't really need a water bottle.
    I live in Oregon... there aren't deserts and hey if we really get dehydrated then we just stop and drink hose water....I know...we are dangerous like that.
  • heartsstarspll
    heartsstarspll Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    More people are dehydrated in the world than water-logged.

I don't really care about the 8 cups a day guideline, but it's true that sometimes drinking huge amounts of water is elevated as some special diet magic, and that's silly.

I find it hard to believe that any significant number of people are dehydrated, assuming liquid is available to them. Seems like one would have to be extremely dysfunctional to not just naturally drink as much as one needs (insert thing about urine color being the best way to check here) ;-).

So great, drink your water, but don't stress about it or think that if you don't get at least 8 cups of pure water per day that means you can't lose or some silliness.

Disclaimer: I have always loved drinking (that too, sadly, but here I just mean anything thirst quenching) and I've never liked drinking calories, so guzzling lots of water throughout the day (without counting it) is just something I've always done, and it's always amazed me that people can eat a meal without having water or something else to drink too. So maybe some people really let themselves get dehydrated (when not in hot weather or engaging in athletic activity) but I can't really understand how that would be a common thing such that we have to actively try to drink water and count it.

That said, I usually do count my water at least up to the 8 cups, since it's an easy way to check something off and I like checking things off. The importance just seems oddly inflated, especially when people start insisting that tea can't count or some such.

I know what you mean! I don't see how people can eat without something to drink! Especially stuff like crackers or popcorn.. anything dry(or peanut butter!). I have to have something by my side to drink all the time, lately my mouth has been really dry, probably from my medicine. I typically drink diet coke though, because I really like it and no calories. But I know I need to get back into drinking water again--when I do, I chug that stuff like crazy, mostly because I don't like the taste. :lol: When I did drink water I could drink up to 8-10 bottles a day. I don't think it's necessary for health to drink that much, but for me to be satisfied and not thirsty it is. lol
  • heartsstarspll
    heartsstarspll Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Are you also British by any chance? I'm guessing tea plays a bigger role in hydration for us than it does for most American posters on here![/quote]

I'm Canadian but I've lived in England for several years and have a British husband (who, oddly enough hates all hot drinks... The weirdo!) . I did drink lots of tea before I moved there though as I think us canucks do tend to drink more tea than Americans. I've had some hilarious responses from waitresses in the states when ordering tea in the summer there. Yes... Even in 30 degree (Celsius) I want hot tea lol.

[/quote]

I hate all hot drinks too. :lol: I tried coffee maybe twice in college, even got it with vanilla flavoring, which I love. But I just couldn't bring myself to drink more than a sip. And the second time I managed to spill it on myself. lol Haven't touched the stuff since that. I need cold liquid, and often. :)
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I drink water because I am thirsty - I drink a lot of water throughout the day but only when I am thirsty. I actually dislike drinking water just the sake of it - doesn't make sense. Same with food - eat food when you are hungry - but if you are full, why eat food.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    I am old, and observing this odd behavior of having a water bottle near you 24/7. I have catagorized the need for a water bottle in groups.
    If you live in the desert, you might need a water bottle.
    If you have just exercised, you might need a water bottle.
    If you are on medication for something that might dehydrate you, you might need a water bottle.
    but.....
    If you are heading to a grocery store and are gone from you place for 30 minutes, you don't really need a water bottle.
    If you carry a water bottle as a fashion accessory, and have "blinged it up"...then you don't really need a water bottle.
    I live in Oregon... there aren't deserts and hey if we really get dehydrated then we just stop and drink hose water....I know...we are dangerous like that.

I agree with you, and I am a huge proponent of drinking lots of water. It is silly to have water with you all of the time. I do have something to drink at my desk, on the table when I am watching TV, and by my bed all of the time but I don't carry it with me unless I am going on a hike in warmer weather. I don't take it with me when I walk my neighborhood or cool weather hikes, but I do make sure there is plenty to drink afterwards.

It is really silly to take it with you shopping. If you suddenly need a drink, stores and malls all have bubblers available (drinking fountains for all of you not from Wisconsin) and few people are going to keel over from dehydration while walking through Target.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I, too, have a bottle of water on my desk, since I work from home on the computer and spend lots of time here. When I go out, I usually have a bottle of water in the car, but don't see the need to carry it around with me like some misplaced beacon of health and fitness or something. ;)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    So is this The One Thread That Won't Die?

Seriously, being sufficiently hydrated is a good thing and it's hard (not impossible) to overdo. It won't magically make you lose weight, but it is necessary for the metabolic processes that help you lose. It also helps you feel less hungry simply because many people confuse thirst for hunger.

The 8 cups a day guideline is just that, a guideline. The actual necessary amount is determined by body mass, activity level, how much you lose through sweating, and other factors, and giving people a formula to determine that is of little benefit. Keeping the message simple is better in this case.

Considering how many other weight loss myths won't die (starvation mode, "clean" eating, bogus pills and shakes), this one seems like a lot of wasted energy.