Gym owner won't let me sign up?

Options
12346»

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I am not exactly sure that the gym owner should necessarily deny someone the right to join a gym.

Probably not, but his gym... his rules.

Just ask him straight how much mass you need to put on before he'll let you start strength training there.

In the mean time, speak to the doctor, read up (nerdfitness +1), buy some dumbbells and start eating!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    to those who say I'm not consuming 3000+ calories, I tracked everything i ate by every gram for a whole week on here and I added all my calories over the week and devided it by 7 and got 3471 calories in total for each day, when i weighed myself 2 days ago i had lost 0.3kg's...

Increase it to 4000 for four weeks and see where you are. I agree with others that you should see a dietitian who can help you with a plan to increase your weight. Someone mentioned Crohn's diseas. My husband has Crohn's, and he got down to 95 pounds (5' 7") before finally being diagnosed. It you are having any kind of discomfort in your stomach, it's worth looking into.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I only skimmed the bickering but I didn't see anyone mention the fact that the OP is only 18. Still a baby! He probably hasn't finished growing and filling out. I'm sure he'll put on some mass in the next couple of years naturally.

To the OP, looking at your food diary, you only ate more than 2000 one day in the last seven. You must have made a mistake in adding up your calories for the week and dividing by 7. You should definitely eat more -- more protein, fats, and carbs. Also, as others have said, see a doc and/or a nutritionist and get on a weight gain program. Give it about a year, gain a few kgs, and then go back to the gym to start a weight lifting program.
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There: May I suggest a fabulous book called "Body For Life" by Bill Phillips.
    Everything you ever wanted to know about lifting weights, at home and in a gym also eating clean and improving your health and physique!
    Good Luck!!
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    IF the doctor says your are healthy, maybe you can get some relatively light weights and do some lifting at home so you can start building some muscle until you are large enough to join the gym.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    IT is a tough call. While I do understand both sides of the story, I am not exactly sure that the gym owner should necessarily deny someone the right to join a gym. Perhaps a better way to have approached it would have been to take a consultative approach- Perhaps introducing you to a nutritionist or recommending you see your doctor before engaging in exercise. On the other hand, when you join a gym, the waivers you sign in essence indemnify the gym, you are instructed to consult a doctor and you also exercise at your own risk.

The facts being what they are- do consult a doctor, do consult a nutritionist, then approach the gym again, this time with documentation showing the steps you have taken.

Joining a gym is now a right???? I would expect any business owner would have the right, and the responsibility, to turn away anyone who he or she thinks may sustain an injury on the premises, or who might harm the business in some way. My God, these "right" have gone too far already! Some things are privileges!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It seems you have calories set at 1200. Probably because MFP set cals based on weight, but this is incorrect for an 18 year old male. Set your cals to at least 2000 - and if you are losing, higher. This last week you haven't logged 2000 every day.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Aren't really obese people at risk of having a heart attack on the treadmill? Why not deny them too and allow only healthy weight people membership?
    I'm sure if you were obese instead of underweight your story would have made the newspapers.

On the other hand I do understand the gym's approach, but they should have given you a chance before telling you NO. I would worry only if I saw a skinny person running on the treadmill for hours, not wanting to build some muscle.

I found this one funny. I'm about 100 pounds overweight, and I jogged a 5K in the Texas heat with no problem and with my doctor's approval. Educate yourself; not all obese people are unfit. Strap on an extra 100 pounds and see how far you get.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has an eating disorder (not your story, but follow me). Many gym members complain that she should be banned because she is in danger of harming herself. In reality, these uneducated buffoons are uncomfortable looking at her and taking out their own insecurities on her without knowing her full situation. Anyway, even IF the gym denied her a membership she'd go somewhere else. It's her right, so they take her money and allow her membership. This owner is a fool. It sounds like discrimination even though it is under the guise of "your best interest". i'd give someone else my $. Screw him.

I know right. I love it when my customers pass out with hundreds of lbs of weight over their head because they have an eating disorder and because they don't have enough strength to pull something like this. Screw my business and the liability your ED brings, I just wanna make sure that you know that I'm jealous of your awesome ED!!!!!!!

I would, like, totally wanna BFF and personally train you if you had a huge thigh gap.

LMAO

Hey, taunto...
    you clearly misunderstood my post. I worry about my friend. She knows she has an issue. She works out "for her head". She doesn't have or want a personal trainer and you are about as bright as the other members who prejudge without all the info. I bet you'd deny an obese person a seat next to you on aspin bike because they might sweat all over you. My point is that in AMERICA we have freedom. If my friend wants to die on a cardio machine itis her right and the gym can stil make her membership dues. Ethical or not. Everyone is so perfect and critical. Sorry I even bothered. I guess you are on MFP because you are just PERFECT. perfectly closed minded.

Actually, you don't have any rights to work out at a private business unless you are being discriminated against as a protected class (race, religion, sex)... which doesn't include body type. The business owner had the legal power to turn her away - you may disagree with that decision, but there is.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

One inch? His height fluctuates between 5'3" and 5'7"! Not to mention his caloric intake and weight. The guy is in serious trouble, if you ask me. I am glad he is using the forums, but it might just be time for professional help.

[ETA: but at least his age is consistently 18.]
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has an eating disorder (not your story, but follow me). Many gym members complain that she should be banned because she is in danger of harming herself. In reality, these uneducated buffoons are uncomfortable looking at her and taking out their own insecurities on her without knowing her full situation. Anyway, even IF the gym denied her a membership she'd go somewhere else. It's her right, so they take her money and allow her membership. This owner is a fool. It sounds like discrimination even though it is under the guise of "your best interest". i'd give someone else my $. Screw him.

I know right. I love it when my customers pass out with hundreds of lbs of weight over their head because they have an eating disorder and because they don't have enough strength to pull something like this. Screw my business and the liability your ED brings, I just wanna make sure that you know that I'm jealous of your awesome ED!!!!!!!

I would, like, totally wanna BFF and personally train you if you had a huge thigh gap.

LMAO

Hey, taunto...
    you clearly misunderstood my post. I worry about my friend. She knows she has an issue. She works out "for her head". She doesn't have or want a personal trainer and you are about as bright as the other members who prejudge without all the info. I bet you'd deny an obese person a seat next to you on aspin bike because they might sweat all over you. My point is that in AMERICA we have freedom. If my friend wants to die on a cardio machine itis her right and the gym can stil make her membership dues. Ethical or not. Everyone is so perfect and critical. Sorry I even bothered. I guess you are on MFP because you are just PERFECT. perfectly closed minded.
    If your friend is in danger of dying on a treadmill, it is the gym's right to refuse membership. I think if anything happened to her, she would be suing or some relative would sue (if she died). The gym owner isn't uneducated. He or she is educated very well by his insurance on law suits. I am obese and when I joined a gym they wanted my doctor's approval for me to be able to workout. The owner has to look out for those that aren't looking out for themselves.
    bump