anything that you want to say about tattoos?

Options

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My personal experience with tattoos is that they're an attention-whoring technique. Look at me! Look at how artistic/badass/romantic/philosophical/nerdy/sentimental/etc I am! LOOK AT ME, DAMMIT!

If you express this to anyone they say, "I got this tattoo for me, not to impress anybody else." Well, if that were true, then it wouldn't be visible and you wouldn't keep telling everyone about it, would you?

I can appreciate the skill and effort that go into some tattoos, but clearly they make a terrible impression on me.

If there are people out there who have tattoos for personal reasons that are not visible to others, and that they keep to themselves - I actually think that's totally fine. Kind of cool, even. I will never know if those people exist :)
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Tattooed people used to be rebels that stood out from the crowd. I think that was the whole point of getting one (or more than one)?

Now it's so commonplace that it's hard to find someone under the age of 50 who doesn't have at least one.

People with no tattoos are now the rebels that stand out from the crowd.

What exactly is being rebelled against?
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Tatoos date you, like an old hairdo. It's cool now. Ten years from now, not so much. Passe and faded. Twenty years? Thirty? Remember looking at old photos and giggling at the fashions?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Tattooed people used to be rebels that stood out from the crowd. I think that was the whole point of getting one (or more than one)?

Now it's so commonplace that it's hard to find someone under the age of 50 who doesn't have at least one.

People with no tattoos are now the rebels that stand out from the crowd.

What exactly is being rebelled against?

You mean the old timers who got tattoos when they were taboo?

Or the new timers who don't want tattoos because everyone has one?

So over the course of time, tattooed = non-tattooed?
  • m4n1x
    m4n1x Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Why would people join a thread where there are obviously going to be a lot of tattoos, just to say you hate them?
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    m4n1x wrote: »
    Why would people join a thread where there are obviously going to be a lot of tattoos, just to say you hate them?

Read the question.
  • SquatNSparkle
    SquatNSparkle Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    wow. strong feelings and a wide range of them. Of course, I'm not hugely surprised by this. I used to be terribly opposed to them too...now obviously I'm not. I still have an opinion of tasteful placement and tats, but its my personal opinion. And my response to the attention whoring, well, I think there are lots of ways to present oneself to get attention if one really wants it. I don't think getting a tattoo that might show is necessarily putting oneself in that category, but it could be some people's motivation. As a professional, I placed both of mine where they can be easily covered by professional clothing.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have one. It's a black cat. Love it.
  • SquatNSparkle
    SquatNSparkle Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    One should not desecrate their body.
    huh? your profile shows a body COVERED in tattoos. Troublemaker. LOL

• Sirrunsalot75
    Sirrunsalot75 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Don't have any and don't really want one. I can appreciate a good one, but the bad ones make me cringe.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Tatoos date you, like an old hairdo. It's cool now. Ten years from now, not so much. Passe and faded. Twenty years? Thirty? Remember looking at old photos and giggling at the fashions?

I remember in 1994 seeing a very elderly woman at an open market with a forearm covered with a dragon tattoo.

I didn't laugh out loud but it was really funny.

Just wait until the new generation of doctors have to see old ladies with tramp stamps.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I wanted one, but I never got it cuz I'm just a wimp when it comes to needles... :sad: :laugh:
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I like tattoos in general. Obviously if it looks like a second grader drew on you I will question your judgment, especially if you have multiple poor quality tattoos. I have a few ideas on what tattoos I will eventually get when I have money that can be spared for them.
  • CJisinShape
    Options

I remember in 1994 seeing a very elderly woman at an open market with a forearm covered with a dragon tattoo.

I didn't laugh out loud but it was really funny.

Just wait until the new generation of doctors have to see old ladies with tramp stamps.

I work in medical. I can only imagine.

Speaking of, someone close to me got a tramp stamp when it first became a thing, thinking it was a coed adventure. He's male. Oopsy. I'm kinda on the outs with him right now, but if we ever make up, I'll pay for the laser removal. Poor thing.

Yeah.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i have tattoos but i dont think tattoos make you interesting and cool
    just like people with out them who are super judgmental about it are not cool or interesting in fact they are probably really boring and most likely enjoy golf

i know many heavily tattooed people and i at one point wanted to be heavily tattooed but ive changed my mind now..we will see..if i get more which i probably will

oh and my tattoos are on my arms and neck
  • micmin2015
    micmin2015 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have one on my right calf / shin. Its a fuku riu Japanese dragon with my Japanese middle name written in between the twists of the dragon to represent my Japanese heriatage. I want to get a Portuguese rooster on my left calf / shin to represent my Portuguese heritage. I also want to get a crucifix with a dove emerging off of it as I'm Catholic. As far as tattoos on women damn they look good if done and placed well.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I like them if they're tasteful. I personally have 4.

I'm not a fan of a bunch of scribble scrabble tattoos just to fill empty spaces in skin. It's interesting seeing older folks with sleeves and thinking about how they lived their life. B) Whether they're wrinkled or end up like a blob, it still represents a time period in your life. And I think that's awesome.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    People without tattoos are a blank canvas. Congratulations on being boring.

King_Creole_LesMiles.gif
  • micmin2015
    micmin2015 Posts: 134 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Jlahorn you wrote

If there are people out there who have tattoos for personal reasons that are not visible to others, and that they keep to themselves - I actually think that's totally fine. Kind of cool, even. I will never know if those people exist.

They do exist