What to say when people ask....

Options
What in the world do you say when everyone is asking how you've lost weight? It's almost as if they expect some miracle instead of just realizing that I am working hard at it! It's almost offensive at times. I generally tell them that I do calorie restriction, portion control, and exercise. They usually respond with "That's all?" Ugh!

How do any of you respond to this question?

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I usually just say "watching what I eat" and get a similar response. Everyone is looking for the quick fix. No need to explain to those people.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I generally say much the same thing. Fortunately, I've found that I'm not surrounded by twits and they just nod and say, "good for you." If I did encounter that mentality, I'd just shrug and say, "Nope, sorry. There's no magic bullet for lazy yet."
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

If they act surprised you can always ask them what other sort of wizardry they expected.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    calorie defecit and exercise. There is no magic pill.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What in the world do you say when everyone is asking how you've lost weight? It's almost as if they expect some miracle instead of just realizing that I am working hard at it! It's almost offensive at times. I generally tell them that I do calorie restriction, portion control, and exercise. They usually respond with "That's all?" Ugh!

How do any of you respond to this question?

:flowerforyou:

I ask them, in a hush whisper, to lean in a little closer, because I have found the magic secret.

I tell them it's foolproof and revolutionary.

Then I say "eat less food and exercise more."

They are of course disappointed. They don't want to do actual work to lose weight, they want a magic secret. They think "oh, well that's not a big secret. I want to know the trick, the easy way." Too bad for them.
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Meth....

Then when I stop laughing at their reaction I explain that I eat primal, workout six days a week alternation between C25K and Convict Conditioning.

While taking METH.

Or a Metabolism, Energy, Testosterone, and Health supplement stack. All vitamine shop supplements. Basically caffeine, creatine, and a multivitamin. Meth sounds more entertaining though.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I used to say counting calories and exercise but people looked so disappointed, so now I say chocolate. :devil:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    My boss actually made this up when I explained in detail what I was doing: "Walkin' and eatin'." That's what I tell people now.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My answer will always be Ice Cream.

And bacon.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Eat less move more
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Same here...I tell them I eat healthier most of the time, watch my portions, and exercise more. I also tell them I still eat what I want, just not as much or as often. Funny how this usually comes up when we're out for a meal and I'm ordering something "special"...but I also usually take half of it home for another meal. :drinker:

Oh...and I also tell them about MFP and how easy and helpful it is to track what I eat...just in case they're interested.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Of course, these are people that see me eating donut sandwiches and ice cream at work. And I tell them about how I eat ice cream every day and eat fast food several times a week.

They think I'm full of it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I would say that I eat less, but no one would believe me.
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Haha just this morning someone commented on me losing weight and asked, "What are you eating?" I said, "Whatever I want, just not as much!" She looked at me like she couldn't believe I wasn't eating just cotton balls dipped in orange juice.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

If they act surprised you can always ask them what other sort of wizardry they expected.

wizard.gif

wizard13.gif
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I get asked what "diet" I am on. I tell them I am on the move more, eat less, stay consistent diet.
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more, pick up heavy stuff, and put it back down.
  • Huebras
    Huebras Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I usually tell people that it is pretty simple, I wake up every morning pop in my VHS of Richard Simmons "Sweating to the Oldies" for my cardio. Then its off to my local Barber for my daily bloodletting session (I have a really old school barber) for my detox. Then, snake oil for breakfast while I watch Conan the Barbarian (The original one) to prep for my strength training. This is where things get really cool. I lay all my weights around me and visualize me lifting weights. If you've read "The Secret" you know that you don't really have to work to get the results you want as long as you have a good mental picture of it. After that I meditate until I go to bed.

I usually don't get any more questions after this.....
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Depends on who's asking. But sometimes I just say it was all the crack.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    *kitten* gasket. like the astronauts use.