What to say when people ask....

Options

Replies

• ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I started to lose weight when I gave up on the magic bullet. Once I accepted that I had to count calories and exercise, I started counting calories and exercising.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I say the same thing, and I give a lot of credit to weighing/measuring portions. You'd be surprised how many people say "Oh, thats way too much work". Little do they know how vital that is!
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just tell them the truth. That you watched what you ate, put down the remote and got out to move about in the world.
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love some of these responses :)

I am amazed by how people look disappointed when I give them the "eat less and exercise" response. Everyone is looking for a quick way to lose weight / instant gratification but not willing to put in the effort. I say slow and steady wins the race.

I might use the crack or chocolate response for giggles in the future :)
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    wizard.gif

wizard13.gif
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep. Use my boyfriend's response for stupid questions..... (He works in IT so he gets LOTS of stupid questions)

A wizard did it.
  • carriespence1
    carriespence1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I don't mind telling but they ask like you have a surgeon on call that sucked your fat out and they wanna hook up. I tell everyone that I just quit watching TV and the weight fell off! Go figure?
  • Crystal82186
    Crystal82186 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Meth....

Then when I stop laughing at their reaction I explain that I eat primal, workout six days a week alternation between C25K and Convict Conditioning.

While taking METH.

Or a Metabolism, Energy, Testosterone, and Health supplement stack. All vitamine shop supplements. Basically caffeine, creatine, and a multivitamin. Meth sounds more entertaining though.

Bahahaha! I love this, I think I might just say Meth when I start losing and people ask me, I think it'll be entertaining. :laugh:
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I tell them the truth. I am losing it through hard work and eating better.
  • iwantdesperately
    iwantdesperately Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I tell them I watch what I eat and exercise. They always want to know"What's my secret". There is no magic pill!!! Or they will say "You have lost weight" Are you sick?" My response will be yes I am. "I'm sick of being fat!!!" That usually sends them on their merry way.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    One of my friends told me last night that she's doing a cleanse and possibly going raw, vegan, or vegetarian at the end. I didn't want to lecture about the cleanse so I just kept my mouth shut and said if she wants help with vegetarian/vegan stuff, I'll help her out. oh man....
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's always insane to me that people are disappointed to hear that you're working your butt off to exercise and watch what you eat, and haven't found a secret pill to melt it all away. Like, c'mon. This stuff ain't easy!!
  • Laneybug081012
    Options
    its-magic-shia-labeouf-gif.gif

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is amazing!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I'd usually just say "I worked my @ss off to work my @ss off."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Good Livin'
  • jenf330
    jenf330 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of asking people who've lost weight this question and I think it's really just not worded properly. The question shouldn't be "how did you do it?" but "what worked for you?" because that's what they want to know. We all know that you have to eat less and move more, but there are literally endless ways to do that and I'm curious what worked for that person. Sometimes it's a combo I've never considered before. And sometimes I'm just genuinely interested. Now that people have started asking me, I give them a honest answer.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Somebody asked me this the other day at a cook-out while I had a big plate of dessert in my hands (some for me, some for my kids...most of it for me), and I said, "Well, usually not eating stuff like this all the time and working out every day."

Honestly, not a lot of people have even asked me this question. I mainly get comments about how great I look and how I'm doing a good job. I WISH more people would ask me what I'm doing so I could give them my "secret."
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I go into increasing detail until the person's eyes glaze over and she (I haven't been asked by any guys yet) walks away.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    It depends on who is asking - I usually just say "eating healthier," especially if it's someone who I know tries every single diet gimmick out there or someone whom I do not know well. My immediate family knows I count calories, eat healthy, and work my *kitten* off at the gym. I have one uncle though who keeps suggesting I see a doctor due to my weight loss. Ugh.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    They always want the "magic" answer - like drinking green tea makes the fat melt or something- but I always say"more exercise, eat less".

Then if they say "I haven't been to the gym for ages" I reply "I don't go to the gym at all"(because I don't, with the exception of Zumba at our local school its all home stuff). I also explain (for those who say "Oh, I've got X workout video" that exercise videos only work if you use them (just like the gym) - that's a real eye-opener for some :laugh:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I go into increasing detail until the person's eyes glaze over and she (I haven't been asked by any guys yet) walks away.

I also do this is its the same person more than once a week:laugh: